Arrest King Daley!

Old September 14th 05, 04:56 AM
Tom S.

"Tom" wrote in message
When did LA. and NO secede from the Union? Also, one might ask when these
folks stopped paying their taxes.

The only real purpose for a federal government is to protect it's
citizens.

From what?

Old September 14th 05, 05:06 AM
Tom S.

"Tom" wrote in message
Typical post from you. The people in need here probably aren't as well off
as you, and you (and your ilk here) figure that they brought all this
stuff on themselves.

Typical of YOUR ilk that "charity" at gunpoint is moral.

The interesting thought here is though, most of you guys screech and whine
whenever the feds do anything that might impede your ability to fly, or
land or whatever. You usually claim that flying is a "right" as opposed to
being a "privilege" and don't think any regulation is necessary.

I think the only one in here who said flying is a right is Steve McNicholls.

I don't expect the federal government to be able to dash into an area and
immediately rescue everyone, but I do expect them to be able to know where
the major problems lay in this disaster, the Astrodome and Convention
Center and do something about it within a reasonable amount of time.

I have read and re-read the Constitution and can't find anything even
approaching "disaster relief".

Care to explain yourself before running off at the keyboard.

The other "Tom"

--
POLITICS, n.
A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles.

Old September 14th 05, 05:13 AM
Tom S.

"Tom" wrote in message
Put your thinking cap on, and doff the dunce cap pal. The government, when
it takes taxes from people - enters into a contract with those people to
safeguard them and rescue them in times of disaster.

It's got a contract (called a Constitution) before and regardless of taxes,
Pal.

No one says the government is responsible for natural disasters, only that
the government must use the assets owned by the people to take care of
them.

What a ditz you are.

So tell us, where in said contract/Constitution it says anything about
disaster relief.

(You really have a tendancy to stick your foot in your mouth)

Old September 14th 05, 05:16 AM
Tom S.

"LWG" wrote in message
One thing I have learned from this thread is the appalling lack of
understanding of our federal system. If we are doomed, it is because of
the smirking ignorance of our citizens.

After several $$TRILLIONS spent on public schools?

Old September 14th 05, 05:27 AM
Dave Stadt

"Tom" wrote in message
Put your thinking cap on, and doff the dunce cap pal. The government, when
it takes taxes from people - enters into a contract with those people to
safeguard them and rescue them in times of disaster.

You are correct. The people of NO got absolutely nothing for the city and
state taxes they pay. The mayor and governor sat around with their thumbs
up their butts while people were dying. Finally the feds had to step in and
do the job. Not that the feds didn't screw up some but at least they
finally got something done when the city and state could not.

If you look to the government to safeguard and protect you one thing is
guaranteed, you will be disappointed.

Old September 14th 05, 05:30 AM
Dave Stadt

"Tom S." wrote in message

"Tom" wrote in message
When did LA. and NO secede from the Union? Also, one might ask when

these
folks stopped paying their taxes.

The only real purpose for a federal government is to protect it's
citizens.

From what?

The real purpose of citizens is to protect themselves from government. He
had the words right just in the wrong order.

Old September 14th 05, 02:37 PM
Jay Honeck

The real purpose of citizens is to protect themselves from government. He
had the words right just in the wrong order.

Amen, brother.

Funny how it ALWAYS comes back to this, isn't it? Half the populace
expects -- no, DEMANDS -- that the government take care of them. The other
half expects -- no, DEMANDS -- that the government stay the hell away from
them.

I do believe we've reached the bottom line explanation for the current 51/49
split in the country.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA