Formation Flying

Old May 30th 09, 04:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman[_4_]

Default Formation Flying

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FF 02.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	444.6 KB
ID:	35203
Old May 30th 09, 04:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
HEMI-Powered[_4_]

Mitchell Holman added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...

Attachment decoded: FF 02.jpg

Really nice, Mitchell, how did you get these shots?

--
Jerry, aka HP

"If you are out of work and hungry, eat an environmentalist" -
Florida billboard
Old May 30th 09, 07:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman[_4_]

"HEMI-Powered" wrote in news:Xns9C1B791EFFC60ReplyScoreID@
216.196.97.131:

Mitchell Holman added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...

Attachment decoded: FF 02.jpg

Really nice, Mitchell, how did you get these shots?

They were posted here several years ago, just
ran across them again.

Old May 30th 09, 08:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
HEMI-Powered[_4_]

Mitchell Holman added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...

Really nice, Mitchell, how did you get these shots?

They were posted here several years ago, just
ran across them again.

Thanks, must've missed it. I counted 85 in the formation with one
more coming in to form the top peak. Do you have ANY ideas how this
could be done safely? I know NO-thing about paragliding, or
whatever this is really called, but these guys must have dropped a
LONG way as they were lining up, and I would think they'd need
guidance from a nearby plane to help them.

Old May 31st 09, 12:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman[_4_]

"HEMI-Powered" wrote in news:Xns9C1BA1E05E968ReplyScoreID@
216.196.97.131:

Mitchell Holman added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...

Really nice, Mitchell, how did you get these shots?

They were posted here several years ago, just
ran across them again.

Thanks, must've missed it. I counted 85 in the formation with one
more coming in to form the top peak. Do you have ANY ideas how this
could be done safely? I know NO-thing about paragliding, or
whatever this is really called, but these guys must have dropped a
LONG way as they were lining up, and I would think they'd need
guidance from a nearby plane to help them.

Practice, practice, practice!

Old May 31st 09, 03:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave W[_2_]

In article ,
"HEMI-Powered" wrote:

Mitchell Holman added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...

Really nice, Mitchell, how did you get these shots?

They were posted here several years ago, just
ran across them again.

Thanks, must've missed it. I counted 85 in the formation with one
more coming in to form the top peak. Do you have ANY ideas how this
could be done safely? I know NO-thing about paragliding, or
whatever this is really called, but these guys must have dropped a
LONG way as they were lining up, and I would think they'd need
guidance from a nearby plane to help them.

A few years ago somebody posted a short Windows Media file showing this
(or a similar) parachute formation. I did a web search and most of the
links were now dead. Its a neat little clip, look for:

2006_81waystarbursts2.wmv

I don't know if it would be proper for me to post it here (or on
a.b.m.a) since its not my file (and I've never attempted a multimedia
post before). Its only a bit over 5 MB. In any event it would probably
be tomorrow before I could post it cause my spouse just demanded that I
immediately get off the computer and take her on a Sunday outing.

Regards,

Dave W.
Old May 31st 09, 08:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
MomDude

Dave W wrote:

In article ,
"HEMI-Powered" wrote:

[...]

Dave,

I think this is the one you're talking about:

http://www.flixxy.com/skydiving-para...rld-record.htm

MomDude
Old May 31st 09, 10:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
HEMI-Powered[_4_]

Dave W added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

[...]

Thanks for what to look for, Dave. As for posting here, I've never
seen any formal rules, things are pretty relaxed. I'd guess that
the majority of pictures et al are not original to the OP.

I know absolutely zip abot whatever this "activity" is, but it sure
seems that it would take a fair amount of time for each jumper to
get into position. I don't even want to think about how many small
planes are involved or if they use bigger planes, and I don't even
want to guess how much altitude they lose as the creat the
"starburst."

Cheers!

Old May 31st 09, 10:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
HEMI-Powered[_4_]

MomDude added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

A few years ago somebody posted a short Windows Media file
showing this (or a similar) parachute formation. I did a web
search and most of the links were now dead. Its a neat little
clip, look for:

2006_81waystarbursts2.wmv

I think this is the one you're talking about:

http://www.flixxy.com/skydiving-para...rld-record.htm

Neat! Thanks for posting the link!

--
Jerry, aka HP

"If you are out of work and hungry, eat an environmentalist" -
Florida billboard

Formation flying [email protected] Piloting 2 September 14th 08 03:46 AM
Formation Flying Course flyernzl Piloting 0 September 8th 05 09:44 AM
Formation Flying Slick Piloting 14 March 8th 05 02:42 PM
Formation flying Paul Sengupta Piloting 10 June 21st 04 10:54 PM