Wanted Sparrowhawk

Old April 22nd 04, 06:12 PM
David Bingham

Default Wanted Sparrowhawk

I am looking for a Sparrowhawk new/used with or without a trailer.
Immediate cash. I am often asked why do I want one when I have a
DG800B, a Stemme S10-VT and several paragliders. I think the
Sparrowhawk is possibly the most interesting glider development in the
past 10 years and it would complete my stable of enjoyable soaring
machines.
Dave
Old April 23rd 04, 12:36 AM
BTIZ

be careful what you wish for.. it may be difficult to get aero tows at
glider operations, unless they turn their heads to the rules, more and more
people are waking up to the rules.

1) The Sparrowhawk is an ultra light, not a glider
2) It does not have an airworthiness certificate that says it is a glider
3) It does not get an N-number registration
4) Most tow pilots are only certified to tow gliders, see number (1), (2)
and (3) above, to tow ANYTHING else requires special endorsements
5) Most tow insurance is for towing gliders, not ultralights, see number
(1),(2) and (3) above

I always thought the Sparrowhawk was "neat" and was considering one also.
But there are more and more road blocks showing up. Note that the
Sparrowhawk web page does not address the "not a glider but an ultralight"
and "getting a tow" issue, but it does state that they do not "need" (read
"get") an airworthiness certificate.

And if it is an ultra light then you really don't need a "Glider" rating to
fly it.

Like I said, some people who tow either
(1) just don't know they have FAR and Insurance problems when towing an
ultra light
(2) don't care
(3) or they know, and figure the risk is worth the $20-35 tow fee

BT

om...

Old April 23rd 04, 02:34 AM
Eric Greenwell

BTIZ wrote:
[...]

But Wait! You CAN get one! Look up N109WP and N40437, two SparrowHawks
that are registered.

Of course, if all you do is get tows at the local gliderport, you aren't
taking advantage of it's light weight.

*Unlike a 700-800 pound glider, it's 350 pound flying weight can be
easily towed by an ultralight aircraft.

*Auto tow, even with a small vehicle, is practical.

*Or get a small winch!

*Bungey launch would be a hoot!

*At the right launch site, a "roll-off" launch would be good.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old April 23rd 04, 05:16 AM
Eric Greenwell

Mark James Boyd wrote:

*Unlike a 700-800 pound glider, it's 350 pound flying weight can be
easily towed by an ultralight aircraft.

*Auto tow, even with a small vehicle, is practical.

Eric Greenwell

Yep, I would imagine that the economy of scale is good for a nice super-long
towrope off a ford pinto :P Or my trusty mazda protege...

Aren't there some real light fishing lines that are 350# test?
Maybe get launched and towed behind a boat? I bet one could
fashion a catamaran into a launch vehicle )PPPP

I'd look at what the hang glider people use to tow and winch with, since
they are launching comparable weights, though probably at slower speeds.
Entering "hang glider winches" into Google brought up some interesting
sites.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old April 23rd 04, 05:17 AM
BTIZ

great Eric !! I had not seen any with N numbers.. how did they get that with
a factory produced glider that had not passed Part 23 testing standards?

I had only seen the "other" literature about the "no need for papers"

BT

Old April 23rd 04, 05:35 AM
Mark James Boyd

--

------------+
Mark Boyd
Old April 23rd 04, 05:45 AM
BTIZ

I know a report of one Sparrowhawk that showed up at a commercial operation
for a tow and was denied. He could not produce an airworthy cert that said
it was a glider, nor did he have an N number that I am aware of. Also he did
not bring proof of insurance.

He went to another glider operation and was towed. Is how the report went.
Either the other operator (1) knew him, (2) did not realize to ask the right
questions, it's hard to tell.

Old April 23rd 04, 06:07 AM
Eric Greenwell

BTIZ wrote:
great Eric !! I had not seen any with N numbers.. how did they get that with
a factory produced glider that had not passed Part 23 testing standards?

I had only seen the "other" literature about the "no need for papers"

I don't know the details, so a call to Greg Cole at Windward Performance
would be best. Or call Dave Stevenson. He flew a SparrowHawk (the
Delaware one, I think) in the Sports Class Nationals last year. It had
to be registered to enter the contest (insurance requirement).

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old April 23rd 04, 06:50 AM
F.L. Whiteley

BTIZ wrote:
[...]

too right, hg payout winch

Ford built one a few years back

Things Wanted Cheap MRQB Restoration 0 March 19th 04 12:01 AM
Things Wanted Cheap MRQB Aviation Marketplace 0 March 17th 04 09:46 AM
Jet Glider Sparrowhawk Mark James Boyd Soaring 31 January 22nd 04 07:09 AM
WANTED: Lycoming IO-320 Matt S. Aviation Marketplace 0 September 22nd 03 05:11 PM
Conspiracy Theory’s real Script: Slave CIA, FBI change the story jews wanted to tell the media Jean-Paul Roy Restoration 0 July 12th 03 12:55 PM