Cobra Trailer Axel Replacement

Old July 6th 04, 02:27 AM
Carter

Default Cobra Trailer Axel Replacement

I have an older aluminum Cobra trailer (1983) and need a new (another) axel.
Spindleberger says the company ESPE that built the original axel and brakes
is no longer in business and not sure a custom one from his current supplier
will be worth it ($$$$$). Does anyone have a wrecked old Cobra that might
have a good axel and brakes for sale, OR, do you know of a good replacement
axel? I am, of course, hoping to find a replacement axel with brakes that
will marry to the current hand brake system on the trailer, but will
certainly consider other approaches.

Any advice or help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Carter

Old July 6th 04, 03:50 AM
F.L. Whiteley

"Carter" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have an older aluminum Cobra trailer (1983) and need a new (another)

axel.
Spindleberger says the company ESPE that built the original axel and

brakes
is no longer in business and not sure a custom one from his current

supplier
will be worth it ($$$$$). Does anyone have a wrecked old Cobra that might
have a good axel and brakes for sale, OR, do you know of a good

replacement
axel? I am, of course, hoping to find a replacement axel with brakes that
will marry to the current hand brake system on the trailer, but will
certainly consider other approaches.

Any advice or help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Carter

Try
http://www.dexteraxle.com/georgia

Frank
Colorado

Old July 6th 04, 04:00 AM
F.L. Whiteley

"F.L. Whiteley" wrote in message

"Carter" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Or perhaps better here;^)

http://www.dexteraxle.com/north_carolina

Old July 6th 04, 02:15 PM
A. Spindelberger

"F.L. Whiteley" wrote in message ...
"F.L. Whiteley" wrote in message

"Carter" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have an older aluminum Cobra trailer (1983) and need a new (another)

axel.
Spindleberger says the company ESPE that built the original axel and

brakes
is no longer in business and not sure a custom one from his current

supplier
will be worth it ($$$$$). Does anyone have a wrecked old Cobra that

might
have a good axel and brakes for sale, OR, do you know of a good

replacement
axel? I am, of course, hoping to find a replacement axel with brakes

that
will marry to the current hand brake system on the trailer, but will
certainly consider other approaches.

Any advice or help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Carter

I feel, there is some misunderstanding.

Please know, that axle and tow bar have to be seen as a unit on
trailers with overrunning brakes. It is not possible to make a
combination from parts from different supplyers.
The manufacturer of your axle( Peitz) is not on the market any more.
A little factory manufactures the spare parts for all this axles of
the former Peitz company.
And they are able to make a axle for your trailer. Because it is
handcrafted from spare parts,it willbe relatively expensive and need
some time. The better way would be to use a axle and a tongue from our
current supplyer,the ALKO company. So,axle and tongue will cost less
as the Peitz axle allone ,both are from more modern design and can be
delivered next day.
Best regards, AS

Old July 6th 04, 03:00 PM
JJ Sinclair

Greetings Al,
Thank you for monitoring ras and answering our quesions about your trailers.

Concerning the problem where the lower part of the brake handle, drags and
therefore places heavy loads on the tongue. I had a thought, why not make the
brake handle move in the horizontal plane, rather than in the vertical plane,
as it does now? This simple change would keep the hand brake mechanism away
from any contact with the road and eliminate this problem completely.
Best Regards,
JJ Sinclair
Old July 6th 04, 11:19 PM
PENN2P

I replaced the undercarriage of my 1991 cobra in 2000. No problem at all. The
repair shop used axle system purchased in Statesville, NC. The repair shop was
located about 20 miles from Statesville.
It worked fine, but no longer had trailer brake system. Did not notice big
difference in towing without brake. You will have new tire rims also. Total
cost was $1200.00.
Penn 2P
Old July 7th 04, 02:06 PM
Carter

Thanks to all who have responded, I have looked at the Dexter axels and
others. They have hydraulic and electric brakes that work great and will
fit the Cobra trailer, however, I need the hand brakes that come on the
Cobra because of where I have to store and hook up my trailer to my car,
etc. I will see what Alex's axel from Germany will cost then make a
decision on which to buy.

Best regards,
Carter

"PENN2P" wrote in message
I replaced the undercarriage of my 1991 cobra in 2000. No problem at all.

The
repair shop used axle system purchased in Statesville, NC. The repair shop

was
located about 20 miles from Statesville.
It worked fine, but no longer had trailer brake system. Did not notice big
difference in towing without brake. You will have new tire rims also.

Total
cost was $1200.00.
Penn 2P

Cobra Trailer Question Deputy Dog Soaring 7 January 3rd 04 03:11 PM
Cobra Trailer For Sale (15 m) Albert Gold Soaring 0 October 7th 03 09:00 PM
Cobra Trailer Soaring 1 September 28th 03 01:14 PM
Cobra trailer fittings for different glider makes & models John W Soaring 4 September 24th 03 03:21 PM
FS: Cobra Trailer Ed Byars Soaring 0 September 22nd 03 04:47 PM