Airpark lot, things to consider before buying?

Old January 15th 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Airpark lot, things to consider before buying?

Doug wrote:

The one up at Red Feather Lakes is closed now (I think). It was the
last remaining posession of the developer. Not a single lot owner who
used it. Only about two pilots ever landed there in the last year. It
was on and off the sectional over the years. It was for sale for a
while. I am not sure what happened to the land. It might even still be
there.

In Colorado: Red Feather Lakes is OPEN, but for sale.
It is unusable during winter (snow/wet/mud).

I have permission from two of the owners to visit, and I've landed
there a dozen times in 2006... and will do more in 2007!

There are several private owned, prior permission only private
strips in Colorado that I have access for me and my students.
If you want to come play, you know where to find me. :-)

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocations!"
--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer'at'frii.com http://users.frii.com/jer/
Old January 15th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

Posted At: Monday, January 15, 2007 11:56 AM
Posted To: rec.aviation.owning
Conversation: Airpark lot, things to consider before buying?
Subject: Airpark lot, things to consider before buying?

Doug wrote:

There are several private owned, prior permission only private
strips in Colorado that I have access for me and my students.
If you want to come play, you know where to find me. :-)

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocations!"
--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer'at'frii.com
http://users.frii.com/jer/
C-206 N9513G, CFII Airplane&Glider FAA-DEN Aviation Safety Counselor
CAP-CO Mission&Aircraft CheckPilot BM218 HAM N0FZD 247 Young Eagles!

There used to be a similar airport at Taylor Park on the plateau behind
the gas station / bait store / restaurant. Last time I was up there
though some land owner had built a fence across the strip and it was
unusable. (I was there by auto thank heavens.) Completely unusable
during winter - the park is closed.

Old January 15th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Orval Fairbairn

In article , wrote:

Sounds COOL! Where are you?

Spruce Creek (7FL6), by Daytona Beach. See:

http://www.scpoa.com/
http://eaa288.org/

We have about 600 airplanes, 1500 lots/homes: 1/3 taxiway, 1/3 golf
course and 1/3 nature preserve. We also have CC&Rs that specify that it
takes 90% of the residents to close the airport.

I like to do the Saturday morning Gaggle (formation fly-out to
breakfast, where we accumulate 20-30 planes, in flights of 2-5 and
invade an airport that has a restaurant.

Our guys usually provide half or more of the "Oshkosh 400" race
entrants, too.

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article
,
"Vaughn Simon" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
However there are a few things burning a hole in the back of my mind
preventing the checkbook from flowing forth. City state and federal
ordinances for one. What constitutes legitimacy for an airpark? I've
heard some horror stories about litigation between the state and
private airstrips. I'm awfully concerned that 5 lots is not enough to
make a good show and Bubba's courthouse-and-saloon.

I'm thinking I need to hire a paralegal to look up any applicable laws
and precedent before buying. I also was thinking of knocking on some
neighbors doors and get an idea what the community thinks about it. I
will of course wear my hip-waders and a cow bell lest I get shot for
rustlin'.

The covenants are absolutely critical. The airstrip must be
dedicated
so
that A) Someone can't sell it after all of the "airstrip" lots are sold,
and
B)
Some landowner can't (for example) throw up a fence across it. (I have
seen
and/or heard of both of these things happening)

I also know of examples of the above.

I live on an airpark and LOVE it! I did, however (along with my wife)
set up a number of critical checklist items:

1. Property owners must own the airstrip.
2. Sewer and water system.
3. Lights for night ops.
4. Close to civilization. (Who wants to drive an hour to get a can of
paint or a loaf of bread?)
5. No state income taxes.
6. State homestead law.
7. Reasonable ground access. (You still have to move in the heavy/bulky
stuff.)
8. Some kind of architectural planning. (You could end up in a dump.)
9. near community colleges. (for wife's interests)
10. Near beaches. (Both of us)
11. A friendly community.
12. A community big enough to put down the "rules Nazis" and the slobs.
13. Big enough to protect itself from the local Philistines who hate
airplanes.

* Who pays for maintenance?
*Who gets sued when (for example) someone lands, hits a pothole and
crashes?
*As already mentioned, a check of local land-use restrictions is in order
be
sure that the airstrip is compliant.

Vaughn

Old January 15th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Doug[_1_]

Glad to hear someone is using it. It's been a while since I have been
up there. Is it on the current VFR sectional?

CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer at frii.com
http://users.frii.com/jer/