The one minute turn that can save your life

Old February 4th 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Default The one minute turn that can save your life

NW_Pilot wrote:

Cecil, go look back in to your instrument training about gyro precession and
turning!

Turning errors pertain to the whiskey compass, not to the gyro compass.
If the heading indicator precesses through a standard rate turn of 180
degrees enough to result in you being seriously off course then it needs
a rebuild or replacement.

If your gyros are out then yes, your should be timing your turns.
Old February 4th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ArtP[_1_]

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 19:03:23 -0500, Ron Natalie
wrote:
Even the partial panel IFR training typically use the needle to make
timed turns to heading. Once you settle down you can verify with
the mag compass you're on the heading you want.

When I learned IFR the instructor kept the AH covered until the check
ride. I still prefer the TC to the AH but I notice that the new planes
with the glass panels have a back up AH but no TC.

Old February 4th 07, 06:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
G. Sylvester

John T wrote:
"G. Sylvester" wrote in message

From
everything that I've read, heard , taught and practice, IFR flying is
80% plus looking at the AI with quick glances for confirmation to the
other instruments. Why do it differently for VFR students?

Maybe I'm an anomaly, but I don't use the AI nearly that much in my IMC
flying.

Again, I'm no authority but there is a reason why the AI is twice as
large as the other instruments in very high performance (King Air on up)
airplanes. Basically you've been flying partial panel. On MS Flight
sim, do approaches with 20G50 at a right angle, heavy rain, 100 foot
ceilings, 1/4 mile vis staring at the AI. Literally staring at the AI.
They are almost easy. You notice 1/4 line thickness deviations
quicker than the VSI, CDI or anything. It's literally instantaneous.
Then do it with everything but the AI and DG covered. Set the power,
fly the AI, DG and CDI. Cake.

Gerald

Old February 4th 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

As a fairly new VFR pilot, I just thought I'd offer my perspective on
the 180 turn in IMC.

I am used to looking at the Attitude Indicator in VFR flight, and I
found it pretty easy to control the aircraft under the hood and in
actual IMC when flying with an instructor, including doing turns.

I am used to looking at the DG too.

I feel confident that, despite the additional stress and
disorientation of an actual IMC encounter, I could use these two
instruments to turn the plane 180, in control. I would know what
heading I was flying before, and I would set the 'bug' (found on most
DGs I have seen) to the new heading, just to make sure.

On the other hand, let's look at two instruments I hardly use at all.
I am not used to doing standard rate turns using the turn indicator,
nor to timing my turns using the clock. I would be concerned, if using
this method in an actual IMC encounter, that it would be harder to
focus on the AI as much. And focusing on the AI is what enables you to
keep control of the aircraft.

So I know what I will do if I get myself into that situation.

Tom