changing operating limitations

Old August 18th 05, 02:35 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 19:23:19 GMT, "Lakeview Bill"
wrote:

As far as converting an Experimental aircraft into an Experimental Light
Sport Aircraft, allow me to SPECULATE...

I would GUESS, that you would first need to de-register the aircraft and
"turn in" the airworthiness certificate. At that point, you could then
modify the aircraft to meet the eLSA specs and then go through the eLSA
certification process.

I'd expect that's pretty close. You can't just try to re-register an existing,
licensed airplane as an Experimental Light Sport, due to 21.191(i)(1). Like you
illustrate, you have to present a "new" plane.

But if it works on a currently-flying Experimental Amateur-Built...geeze, it
should work on a Standard category plane, too.

Buy a flying Aeronca Champ. Cancel its registration, then go through and
replace its data plate with your own. Then show up at the FAA and request
Experimental LSA licensing.

It should be no less (or, for that matter, no *more*) legal than trying the same
process with an existing Experimental. The FAA is more likely to be suspicious,
though, so you'd have to lay down a lot better cover story.

Ron Wanttaja
Old August 18th 05, 02:56 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Lakeview Bill" wrote in message
m...

2. Experimental - Given an airworthiness certificate on a case-by-case
basis. Requires at minimum a PPL (or Rec Pilot) license.

WRONG. If the experimental meets the restrictions of a LSA it may be flown
by an sport pilot.

Old August 18th 05, 04:29 PM
Lakeview Bill

You stated:

"The LSA definition stands alone. Any aircraft that meets that deviation
can be flown by a SP who has the right signoffs."

That is not correct.

As I previously noted, a type-certified aircraft that would have met the LSA
specs in its original configuration, but has been modified to a point where
it would not meet those specs, would not be flyable as an LSA even if the
modifications were removed and the aircraft was rolled-back to it's original
specs.

And JFTR: the only point I was wrong on was the SP's ability to fly
Experimentals that met the LSA requirements but were not eLSA's, a mistake I
readily admitted when the error was pointed out to me.

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in message
"Lakeview Bill" wrote:

No, the aircraft would have to be "certified" (vernacular use; not a
certified aircraft) as an Experimental Light Sport Aircraft.

Not true.

The Experimental "certification" process does not ensure that the

aircraft
meets the criteria for an LSA.

True, but neither does the standard airworthiness process
(ensure LSA status), and I can fly my standard airworthiness
aircraft with an SP. You really shouldn't post this
misinformation. The LSA definition stands alone. Any
aircraft that meets that deviation can be flown by a SP who
has the right signoffs.

T o d d P a t t i s t
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)
___
Make a commitment to learn something from every flight.
Share what you learn.

Old August 18th 05, 04:29 PM
Lakeview Bill

Try reading the whole thread. I acknowledged that mistake yesterday, when I
was POLITELY pointed to the correct information...

Old August 18th 05, 06:57 PM
Lakeview Bill

I did read the entire definition...

You are simply restating what I said.

But let's just let it drop, shall we?

"Lakeview Bill" wrote:

You stated:

"The LSA definition stands alone. Any aircraft that meets that deviation
can be flown by a SP who has the right signoffs."

That is not correct.

Yes it is.

As I previously noted, a type-certified aircraft that would have met the

LSA
specs in its original configuration, but has been modified to a point

where
it would not meet those specs, would not be flyable as an LSA even if the
modifications were removed and the aircraft was rolled-back to it's

original
specs.

That's true, but you are ignoring the first part of the
definition that says it's an LSA only if it has continuously
met the weight/speed limits since it's "original
certification." If the plane did not meet those limits
continuously, then it does not meet the definition that
requires that. You have to read the entire definition.

Old August 22nd 05, 03:29 AM
UltraJohn

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

"Lakeview Bill" wrote in message
m...

2. Experimental - Given an airworthiness certificate on a case-by-case
basis. Requires at minimum a PPL (or Rec Pilot) license.

WRONG. If the experimental meets the restrictions of a LSA it may be flown
by an sport pilot.

Also it is possible for a CFI to sign off a student to fly an experimental.
He cannot charge for instruction in one. IE if a CFI has a favorite son who
he instructs for freebee he can sign him off in it.
John

Old August 22nd 05, 04:28 AM
Roger

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 02:29:29 GMT, UltraJohn
wrote:

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

"Lakeview Bill" wrote in message
m...

2. Experimental - Given an airworthiness certificate on a case-by-case
basis. Requires at minimum a PPL (or Rec Pilot) license.

WRONG. If the experimental meets the restrictions of a LSA it may be flown
by an sport pilot.

Also it is possible for a CFI to sign off a student to fly an experimental.
He cannot charge for instruction in one. IE if a CFI has a favorite son who
he instructs for freebee he can sign him off in it.

With the exception: He can charge for teaching you how to fly in your
own.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
John