Lathe, drillpress, milling machine available, but.....

Old February 22nd 06, 06:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Lathe, drillpress, milling machine available, but.....

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 07:45:01 -0800, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

If it's not grade school kids I don't think most states have any
requirements. It doesn't even require a degree to teach at the
college level in many states. OTOH no many colleges will use a teacher
without a degree.

If it an "academic" subject (history, english, etc.) it requires a masters
degree for starters. For voc-ed, it requires either a masters, a bachelors

Not here. There are, or at least weren't any state requirements for
teachers above the high school level. The colleges and universities
set their own standards.

plus two years paid service in that vocation, or an associates plus five
years. There are a FEW of us old geezers around that got our commcoll
"credential" over 40 years ago, but even then it was for the subjects that
didn't have a degree program (like aviation ground school). If you wanted

Surprisingly, my ground school was a 4 college credit course and I
believe the instructor had his masters.

an academic credential or a voc ed credential way back then, it was a degree
plus experience for openers.

We have a great electronics prof in our department who has one of the best
teaching styles I've ever seen, but his bachelors is in history, with 25
years as a non-degreed electronics engineer. I know he can program rings
around me, and I don't think the degree did anything for him except teach
him how to teach.

And for me the degree didn't teach me anything about teaching. :-))
It sure did open up a lot of doors though.

I find many companies care more about the degree than they do the
persons capabilities.

One of the best computer architecture and machine language instructors
at one of the colleges I attended here in Michigan had never been to
college. He did pick up a few courses after he'd been teaching for
something like 12 to 15 years. A few years back they decided he
should have a degree so they sent him to another university to get his
teaching degree. (they were paying) Unfortunately, the other
university would not accept his 12 to 15 years of teaching as
experience and said he had to do the student teaching part of the
course which is not needed for teaching above the high school level.
Although he was almost ready to graduate and only needed that student
teaching part, he couldn't afford to continue to go without pay for
that much longer. So, now he's out working in industry.

I taught some Vo Ed classes before I went back to college to get my
degree.

This is for community college in California only. I don't speak for the
university system or any other state, but I know of no university teacher
without at least a bachelors and working on a masters.

Many of our universities around here use "adjunct" faculty for evening
classes and although there is no formal requirement, I don't know of
any at present that will take some one without a degree, but there are
many teaching physics, chemistry, and astronomy with just a bachelors
degree.

C is average which is supposed to indicate adequate knowledge. B is
above average.

That used to be true. Current thinking is that a C is "just barely
passing", a D is unsatisfactory work, and F is failure. I don't want "just
barely passing" flailing around on my lathe.

Again that depends on the state and grading system. Here at least at
the university level most grade on the curve so I always hoped I
didn't end up in a class with 3 or 4 geniuses which would put an A out
of the question. Here, the peak of the curve is considered average.
OTOH they had just added "Writing across the curriculum" when I
started back to college so while most of the students groaned at the
thought I took the opportunity to gain a few points.

At least we don't still have "outcome based education" in the high
schools, but the "no child left behind" program is almost as bad in
some areas. They keep putting the wrong people in charge of these
programs.

I think that is probably one of the few things that are cheaper in
Ca:-))

College, nasty women, avocados, and wine. All else is higher. {;-)

Certainly not property or the cost of living:-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Jim

Old February 22nd 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

As I said, I speak only for California. THe colleges and universities all
set their standards through their various state Chancellors' offices, so
there is a statewide standard, albeit not set in legislation or Ed Code.

Jim

Old February 22nd 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Don W wrote:

Dan wrote:
Tom Wait wrote:

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message

The local EAA chapter has a lathe, drillpress, milling machine, etc
set up in the back of the chapter house. As far as I can tell, the
lathe hasn't been used in a while. When I asked, someone rightly
replied they were concerned someone might hurt themselves using the
lathe. Having had some training with a lathe, I recognize that danger,
but there should be a way for the Chapter to feel comfortable
allowing use of the lathe. A training program would be ideal

Has anyone else been faced with this situation and how did it get
solved? - MIke

Those machine are killers. I suggest they pack them up and ship them to:

Tom, you are such a gentleman. However I can't let you risk personal
injury so to protect you they should be shipped to me. I will be
willing to pay shipping to protect others.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Dan, You and Tom are obviously concerned for the good of others, and
I commend you. However, I'd be willing to come pick them up tomorrow
just to make sure that no one gets hurt in the meantime. Those machines
are just like a loaded gun laying around waiting for one of the kids to
pick it up. Think of the liability ;-)

Don W.

Don, your heart is in the right place, but we can't have you
driving down the road with such hazardous cargo. It's not worth the risk
to you and innocent drivers.

I feel the best thing is for me to pay to have them shipped to me.
This way we can be sure the transportation is done legally and safely at
every step. In the military I was trained to handle dangerous situations
so I feel my solution in best.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old February 24th 06, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Roger" wrote in message
On 19 Feb 2006 13:00:19 -0800, wrote:
SNIP
But as to safety, I've had a half inch drill bit pull a piece a 1/4
inch Aluminum out of the clamps and try to beat the column to death,
but I've never seen anything throw a piece like an innocent looking
surface grinder. I saw one smash a hole in concrete block wall.

I have a rolling workbench in my hangar that I made. I built it out of
leftover oak cabinet parts when I was building my wife's kitchen cabinets.
I had it all finished and I was trimming 1/16 of an inch off of one side of
the cabinet doors so they would fit properly on my 3HP cabinet saw. I
accidentally jiggled the door in the saw as I was making this minor trimming
cut. I went ahead and put that door on the workbench anyway so that I would
be reminded every time I looked at it what that saw can do if you get just a
smidgin careless or complacent. :-)

I also remember a time when I was a young man working as a structural
ironworker. It is not unusual for the holes you need to connect the
structural iron in a building to not properly line up. Every once in a
while you get a guy who puts a wrong dimension on a drawing, or who measures
wrong, or whatever. When that happens with structural iron, you don't
usually discover it until you are fifty feet in the air hanging on by
toenails trying to get a bolt into this darn thing so it will stay together
long enough to unhook the crane and get the next piece. Solution? Sure.
We kept a cutting torch on the job with REAL long hoses so we could reach
the bad spot and burn a properly located hole to get the job done. One day
I was hanging out there with the torch trying to get it into position to
burn a hole so we could get a bolt in to hold the steel in place. I could
almost reach the spot. I get the hose a little jerk to get the slack out of
it and cut the hole. Unfortunately, I already had all of the slack out of
it. When I jerked, the full oxygen tank fell over against a concrete wall.
Real unfortunately when it hit the wall it busted my gauges off of the tank.
That tank took off like a toy balloon when you blow it up and let it go! It
took off with such vigor that it went right through a 12 inch concrete block
wall. Made a believer out of me. Don't jerk those hoses now. :-)

Highflyer
Highflight Aviation Services
Pinckneyville Airport ( PJY )

Old February 24th 06, 06:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

("Highflyer" wrote)
[snip]
I have a rolling workbench in my hangar that I made. I built it out of
leftover oak cabinet parts when I was building my wife's kitchen cabinets.
I had it all finished and I was trimming 1/16 of an inch off of one side
of the cabinet doors so they would fit properly on my 3HP cabinet saw.

I built a rolling workbench from cabinet inserts they removed, to install
dishwashers, in our old apartment. Two sections, a 2-ft space, and then a
third cabinet section = 8-ft long rolling workbench!

I cut a 3/4 inch piece of plywood for the top and put 8 (nice) casters on
the bottom - 4 on each side of the middle space.

Each of the three sections has one pull-out drawer and two doors on the
bottom. Cheap(free) ...except plywood and casters.

I was so proud of myself ...UNTIL ...I needed to clamp/QuickGrip my first
piece of work down.

Um, I failed to factor in a lip - on either end, or in the front. There was
a clamping spot available in the middle space, but that was it. Doh!

Montblack
Live and learn!

Old February 24th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Highflyer" wrote in message

Real unfortunately when it hit the wall it busted my gauges off of the
tank. That tank took off like a toy balloon when you blow it up and let it
go! It took off with such vigor that it went right through a 12 inch
concrete block wall. Made a believer out of me. Don't jerk those hoses
now. :-)

A couple of years ago I was wandering through the goodies at a garage sale
when I spotted an 80 ft³ Oxygen tank and an Acetylene tank ~40" tall & 10"
diameter. They had regulators attached, but it looked as if the gauges were
broken off. I bought them for $5 each and hauled them home. (Turns out they
were both chock-a-block full of gas, too!)

It turns out the regulators are specially designed for rough-duty use.
Instead of gauges, they have pressure indicators where a visible rod slides
in a groove and shows approximate tank pressure. There are no secondary "set
pressure" indicators.

That's the same garage sale where I bought a fixed-pitch McCauley (sp?) prop
appropriate for an RV for $75. Later sold it as a wall-hanger for $375.

Rich S.

Old February 25th 06, 06:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

stol wrote:
Of course ya all know what
happened next G. The whole class laughed till we all ****ed in our
pants. Those were the good ol days................

So, the 'good ol days' is now defined as a classroom of kids standing
around laughing in wet pants and smelling like ****? Billy Joel was right.

The good ol days weren't all that great,
and tomorrow isn't as bad as it seems.

--
This is by far the hardest lesson about freedom. It goes against
instinct, and morality, to just sit back and watch people make
Old February 25th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Ernest wrote""""""""""""""'

So, the 'good ol days' is now defined as a classroom of kids standing
around laughing in wet pants and smelling like ****? Billy Joel was
right.

The good ol days weren't all that great,
and tomorrow isn't as bad as it seems.

--
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Ben is writing""""""""""""""'

Back is those days one could have a "moment"where no one was hurt and
laughter would break out.

Nowadays,
The drill press has multiple safety devised attached so that one
cannot get within 5 feet to even operate it. The stupid idiot that gets
far enough along to injure him/herself will undoubtably have a freight
train of lawyers lined up to sue everything is sight, including but not
limited to........ The contractor that built the school, the family
that sold the land to build the school, the school board that
hired the teacher, the drill press maker, the power company that
supplied the electricity to run the drill press, the people who
laughed at the stupid fool because it made the fool feel inferior,
dumb, weak, and of course it defamed his character and he now has daily
nightmares that prevent him from sleeping, or holding down a job which
would let him get his hair stuck in another piece of machinery . ETC
................... By now you should be getting my drift Ernest.

By the way, Hasn't ol Billy Joel gone bankrupt once of twice because he
was sooooooo stupid to manage his life properly???? He is probably
not the best person to listen to.................

Have a nice day... Opps, thats a Bon Jovi thing
isn't it ??? G

Ben.

"...but I don't have a lathe." [email protected] Home Built 47 September 20th 08 12:53 AM
Democracy Expires Grantland Military Aviation 14 March 8th 04 04:54 AM
Lathe Help Bruce A. Frank Home Built 15 February 7th 04 09:05 AM
Fess up! Simming...and the machine..... Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo Simulators 1 November 28th 03 05:31 PM
Machine Tool Co. Bankruptcy Sends Ripple Through JSF Program huuto Military Aviation 3 July 29th 03 05:59 AM