Bush needs to clean up his mess

Old June 20th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval

Default Bush needs to clean up his mess

Have you ever worked at a job where you had to clean up someone else's mess?
Someone who was paid by the same people as you to do it themselves?

What do you think George Bush is doing when he says the next President will
have to finish Iraq?

If the Iraqi's can't stand up and fight this for themselves by January 19,
2009 then they aren't worth saving.

Just to clarify I can see some forces staying after Bush leaves office if
the Iraqi's have proven themselves such as close air support, SOF, trainers.
logistics and intelligence but not any regular infantry.

Old June 20th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 08:48:08 -0700, "Leadfoot"
wrote:

Have you ever worked at a job where you had to clean up someone else's mess?
Someone who was paid by the same people as you to do it themselves?

Since your point is political, can you point out any--repeat
ANY--administration that left office with nothing to clean up for the
next administration? And, who precisely determines what is a mess? Has
the economy recovered from the impact of 9/11? How is unemployment?
What about inflation and interest rates? Did Truman, Eisenhower,
Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter finish up the Soviet mess? Get
the picture?

What do you think George Bush is doing when he says the next President will
have to finish Iraq?

Sounds like an honest estimation of a major foreign policy task.

If the Iraqi's can't stand up and fight this for themselves by January 19,
2009 then they aren't worth saving.

Sort of like all those NATO countries from 1949 until 1989?

Just to clarify I can see some forces staying after Bush leaves office if
the Iraqi's have proven themselves such as close air support, SOF, trainers.
logistics and intelligence but not any regular infantry.

So, you finally make a valid point. Yep, there's going to be a
requirement for engineers, security (as in police), training, military
assistance, etc. Will there be a requirement for traditional combat
arms units? Hopefully not. But that's a couple of years downstream
isn't it?

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Old June 20th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval

wrote:

Have you ever worked at a job where you had to clean up someone else's
mess?
Someone who was paid by the same people as you to do it themselves?

Since your point is political, can you point out any--repeat
ANY--administration that left office with nothing to clean up for the
next administration? And, who precisely determines what is a mess? Has
the economy recovered from the impact of 9/11? How is unemployment?
What about inflation and interest rates? Did Truman, Eisenhower,
Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter finish up the Soviet mess? Get
the picture?

This is a mess that if it is possible to be cleaned up it can be cleaned up
the end of Bush's term. Either the plan that is in place can be completed
by the Iraqi's with Bush's help by 1-19-09 or they won't be able to
accomplish it at all

Just how long were you prepared to fight in Vietnam, Ed? How many coups did
South Vietanam have?

What do you think George Bush is doing when he says the next President
will
have to finish Iraq?

Sounds like an honest estimation of a major foreign policy task.

It's not cut and run. It's...

Stand up. We can only help so much before we leave.

And yes we should be committed to leave totally. Permanent bases in Iraq
prove Al-queda's point to the average Arab/Muslim.

If the Iraqi's can't stand up and fight this for themselves by January 19,
2009 then they aren't worth saving.

Sort of like all those NATO countries from 1949 until 1989?

NATO was a defense alliance against a nuclear superpower, not a pre-emptive
war based on BULL**** that has been followed by a guerilla war. And NATO
members stood up quite well doing their part. The jury is still out on the
Iraqi's, 80% of who wish we would leave.

Apples and oranges, Ed

Just to clarify I can see some forces staying after Bush leaves office if
the Iraqi's have proven themselves such as close air support, SOF,
trainers.
logistics and intelligence but not any regular infantry.

So, you finally make a valid point. Yep, there's going to be a
requirement for engineers, security (as in police), training, military
assistance, etc. Will there be a requirement for traditional combat
arms units? Hopefully not. But that's a couple of years downstream
isn't it?

Exactly 1-19-09 is 944 Days or 133 Weeks and 13 Days or 2 years 4 months
and 3 Weeks or as you said "a couple of years downstream isn't it?"

I'm giving Bush plenty of time to clean up his mess. Maybe you missed that?

Old June 20th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval

wrote:

If the Iraqi's can't stand up and fight this for themselves by January 19,
2009 then they aren't worth saving.

The Iraqis ARE standing up and fighting for themselves but the trouble
is, like when the Germans invaded France in WW2 (although at least the
French had declared war on Germany), the occupying power with its
indiscriminate killing of civilians then brands anyone who reacts to
this as a 'terrorist'. Think what happened to the French, at the hands
of their fellow countrymen who did collaborate with the Nazis of the
1940s, when they got their country back!

With over 250,000 Iraqi civilians dead it's small wonder that those with
any guts have decided to fight the oppressor.

Sort of like all those NATO countries from 1949 until 1989?

All which NATO countries?

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com

Ricardo
--
"Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand
Ignorance and prejudice, and fear, walk hand in hand ..."
Old June 20th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 11:06:15 -0700, "Leadfoot"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

We were prepared to fight as long as it took, IF--repeat IF--the
give-up rather than fight crowd in the US would have stopped
distracting the politicians so that we could have won.

The main point I'd like to leave you with is that in major
international relations issues the solutions are never simple and a
firm calendar for completion isn't possible.

Number of coups was small during the period of US combat involvement
and those were during the last year or so when Vietnamization was
pretty much completed (late '71--'72.) Actually a case could be made
that it was precisely the withdrawal of American military
stabilization and support which led to belief that the coups could be
successful.

What do you think George Bush is doing when he says the next President
will
have to finish Iraq?

Sounds like an honest estimation of a major foreign policy task.

It's not cut and run. It's...

Stand up. We can only help so much before we leave.

And yes we should be committed to leave totally. Permanent bases in Iraq
prove Al-queda's point to the average Arab/Muslim.

Where has any official policy been annunciated at any time which
indicated an intent to establish "Permanent bases in Iraq"?
Increasingly al-Queda's point has been to foment violence between
Muslims rather than against coalition forces.

If the Iraqi's can't stand up and fight this for themselves by January 19,
2009 then they aren't worth saving.

Sort of like all those NATO countries from 1949 until 1989?

NATO was a defense alliance against a nuclear superpower, not a pre-emptive
war based on BULL**** that has been followed by a guerilla war. And NATO
members stood up quite well doing their part. The jury is still out on the
Iraqi's, 80% of who wish we would leave.

NATO was established in 1949 and if you think that Germany, Belgium,
France, Italy, Netherlands, Denmark, Greece and Turkey were in shape
militarily to defend against the Soviets it would seem that you slept
through a lot of history classes. Reconstruction and the Marshall Plan
were just beginning to show positive impacts.

As for "80% of who(m) wish we would leave"--I've not seen any polling
data of Iraqi's that would offer those numbers.

Apples and oranges, Ed

Just to clarify I can see some forces staying after Bush leaves office if
the Iraqi's have proven themselves such as close air support, SOF,
trainers. logistics and intelligence but not any regular infantry.

So, you finally make a valid point. Yep, there's going to be a
requirement for engineers, security (as in police), training, military
assistance, etc. Will there be a requirement for traditional combat
arms units? Hopefully not. But that's a couple of years downstream
isn't it?

Exactly 1-19-09 is 944 Days or 133 Weeks and 13 Days or 2 years 4 months
and 3 Weeks or as you said "a couple of years downstream isn't it?"

I'm giving Bush plenty of time to clean up his mess. Maybe you missed that?

What I commented on was not the length of time but the assertion that
at the end of the current administration there was some sort of
obligation to leave a clean slate for the incoming group--something
which has NEVER before occurred in any presidency.

Old June 20th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval

In message , Ed Rasimus
writes
We were prepared to fight as long as it took, IF--repeat IF--the
give-up rather than fight crowd in the US would have stopped
distracting the politicians so that we could have won.

In semi-modern parlance, US domestic opinion was a centre of gravity,
and keeping public opinion on-side was a key enabling factor that North
Vietnam successfully attacked.

Or, flipping it around, if the "fight" crowd in the US had made a better
case for "why we fight" then things might have been very different.

This is one reason I get very, very angry with anyone who dismisses "the
media". They may be ill-informed (and many are), they may be downright
hostile (and many are), but they have to be worked with and dealt with.
Ignore them or annoy them and they will hurt you badly.

And when they _are_ properly handled, they can become ambassadors:
embedded journalists, having to live alongside the troops, tend to
become evangelists for "where do we get these men?".

Hence, the hard work required of a J3 Media Ops staffer.

Where has any official policy been annunciated at any time which
indicated an intent to establish "Permanent bases in Iraq"?

The withdrawal of MND(SE) forces from al-Muthanna province and the
handover there to Iraqi security is a small point of support. (Small,
because al-Muthanna is large, empty and quiet and hence suitable for an
early handover - though a cynic would say that's exactly the sort of
place the Evil US would _want_ a huge military complex put, and I'm not
aware of any such being constructed)

As for "80% of who(m) wish we would leave"--I've not seen any polling
data of Iraqi's that would offer those numbers.

They're valid if you include responses like "should leave once the
security situation is stabilised" and other such conditional responses.
Indeed, very few Iraqis indeed want Coalition Forces to remain
indefinitely.

The Iraqis really do want us to leave... but many of them don't want us
to leave _now_, they'd like us to leave "as soon as practical", with a
big spread on what "practical" means.

--
Paul J. Adam
Old June 20th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 11:06:15 -0700, "Leadfoot"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

So we could still be there today, eh?

The main point I'd like to leave you with is that in major
international relations issues the solutions are never simple and a
firm calendar for completion isn't possible.

Does it occur to you that if the Iraqi's aren't up to the task by 1-19-09
they never will be?

Number of coups was small during the period of US combat involvement
and those were during the last year or so when Vietnamization was
pretty much completed (late '71--'72.) Actually a case could be made
that it was precisely the withdrawal of American military
stabilization and support which led to belief that the coups could be
successful.

I think you might be thinking of Cambodia Thieu was in office until about 9
days before the communist took over. Albeit the results of the election he
won to take office looked pretty crooked to me.

I was thinking more in terms of the Geneva Accords election we were afraid
to let take place because the communist would have probably won it in 56 and
the coups/assasinations that took place in 63-64

What do you think George Bush is doing when he says the next President
will
have to finish Iraq?

Sounds like an honest estimation of a major foreign policy task.

It's not cut and run. It's...

Stand up. We can only help so much before we leave.

And yes we should be committed to leave totally. Permanent bases in Iraq
prove Al-queda's point to the average Arab/Muslim.

Where has any official policy been annunciated at any time which
indicated an intent to establish "Permanent bases in Iraq"?
Increasingly al-Queda's point has been to foment violence between
Muslims rather than against coalition forces.

They haven't announced they won't. And it's been suggested at the highest
levels to the administration that they do

If the Iraqi's can't stand up and fight this for themselves by January
19,
2009 then they aren't worth saving.

Sort of like all those NATO countries from 1949 until 1989?

NATO was a defense alliance against a nuclear superpower, not a
pre-emptive
war based on BULL**** that has been followed by a guerilla war. And NATO
members stood up quite well doing their part. The jury is still out on
the
Iraqi's, 80% of who wish we would leave.

NATO was established in 1949 and if you think that Germany, Belgium,
France, Italy, Netherlands, Denmark, Greece and Turkey were in shape
militarily to defend against the Soviets it would seem that you slept
through a lot of history classes. Reconstruction and the Marshall Plan
were just beginning to show positive impacts.

Which came first, Warsaw pact or NATO? I don't think the soviets were in
any shape either. They were just as scared of us as we were of them.

As for "80% of who(m) wish we would leave"--I've not seen any polling
data of Iraqi's that would offer those numbers.

Ok let's hear your numbers VBG

Apples and oranges, Ed

[...]

I think I'm givng him a lot more time than he really needs to be blunt

Hey you playing with the Windows VISTA beta yet?

Old June 21st 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 22:47:06 +0100, "Paul J. Adam"
wrote:

In semi-modern parlance, US domestic opinion was a centre of gravity,
and keeping public opinion on-side was a key enabling factor that North
Vietnam successfully attacked.

Or, flipping it around, if the "fight" crowd in the US had made a better
case for "why we fight" then things might have been very different.

If there is a parallel between Vietnam and Iraq this is it. In both
instances the "pundits" and a substantial portion of the "taste
makers" were able to woo the minions of the Fourth Estate and convince
them, and then many others, that military success was "impossible."
That was a Big Lie, but like many Big Lies, succeeded because it was
so big (a perverse application of the "too big to fail" theory?).

This is one reason I get very, very angry with anyone who dismisses "the
media". They may be ill-informed (and many are), they may be downright
hostile (and many are), but they have to be worked with and dealt with.
Ignore them or annoy them and they will hurt you badly.

It might have been Mark Twain who said, "Never pick a fight with
somebody who buys printer's ink by the barrel."

And when they _are_ properly handled, they can become ambassadors:
embedded journalists, having to live alongside the troops, tend to
become evangelists for "where do we get these men?".

True.

But you've got to get to the editorial and opinion writers, too.

Hence, the hard work required of a J3 Media Ops staffer.

Where has any official policy been annunciated at any time which
indicated an intent to establish "Permanent bases in Iraq"?

The withdrawal of MND(SE) forces from al-Muthanna province and the
handover there to Iraqi security is a small point of support. (Small,
because al-Muthanna is large, empty and quiet and hence suitable for an
early handover - though a cynic would say that's exactly the sort of
place the Evil US would _want_ a huge military complex put, and I'm not
aware of any such being constructed)

You crawl before you walk; you walk before you run; you run before you
fly. ;-)

As for "80% of who(m) wish we would leave"--I've not seen any polling
data of Iraqi's that would offer those numbers.

They're valid if you include responses like "should leave once the
security situation is stabilised" and other such conditional responses.
Indeed, very few Iraqis indeed want Coalition Forces to remain
indefinitely.

Give me some time and money and I'll produce a poll that says the the
Urth is flat, hollow, and the center of the universe.

The Iraqis really do want us to leave... but many of them don't want us
to leave _now_, they'd like us to leave "as soon as practical", with a
big spread on what "practical" means.

Indeed.

Bill Kambic
Haras Lucero, Kingston, TN
Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão
Old June 21st 06, 11:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 18:16:38 GMT, Ricardo wrote:

The Iraqis ARE standing up and fighting for themselves but the trouble
is, like when the Germans invaded France in WW2 (although at least the
French had declared war on Germany), the occupying power with its
indiscriminate killing of civilians then brands anyone who reacts to
this as a 'terrorist'.

So how many civilians have we rounded up according to policy and shot in
reprisal?

If you answered none, you'd be correct.

How many did the Germans execute?

If you answered, a hell of a lot more than none, you'd be correct.

Don't compare us to Nazis kid, it just belittles those who actually lived
through German occupation.

Think what happened to the French, at the hands
of their fellow countrymen who did collaborate with the Nazis of the
1940s, when they got their country back!

With over 250,000 Iraqi civilians dead it's small wonder that those with
any guts have decided to fight the oppressor.

Got any other numbers you'd like to pull out of your ass?

In October 2004 the best scientific data in the world on civilian casualties
in Iraq was analysed and they came up with a guess; they were 95% sure it was
somewhere between 6,000 and 194,000 and they didn't, or couldn't, even try to
narrow it down further.
Old June 21st 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:11:33 -0700, "Leadfoot"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

No, we would have been out by 1968. Review the effect on
"negotiations" of the period 18-29 December 1972 for a concrete
example.

The main point I'd like to leave you with is that in major
international relations issues the solutions are never simple and a
firm calendar for completion isn't possible.

Does it occur to you that if the Iraqi's aren't up to the task by 1-19-09
they never will be?

Number of coups was small during the period of US combat involvement
and those were during the last year or so when Vietnamization was
pretty much completed (late '71--'72.) Actually a case could be made
that it was precisely the withdrawal of American military
stabilization and support which led to belief that the coups could be
successful.

I think you might be thinking of Cambodia Thieu was in office until about 9
days before the communist took over. Albeit the results of the election he
won to take office looked pretty crooked to me.

I thought you were referring to 1971 when Big Minh attempted to
overthrow the government.

What makes you doubt the election? (Seriously, it is virtually
impossible to compare a US domestic election--with its concommitant
share of doubt--and elections anywhere in the Third World, regardless
of oversight.)

I was thinking more in terms of the Geneva Accords election we were afraid
to let take place because the communist would have probably won it in 56 and
the coups/assasinations that took place in 63-64

And, you think the postulated victory of the Viet Minh in '56 would
have been pristine? The Geneva Accords were fairly typical
international diplomatic practice of the period--providing a
US/Eurocentric overlay on a formerly colonial region with disasterous
results.

We used to laugh about the weekly flights of the white ICC airplane
between Saigon, Vientiane and Hanoi carrying the Indian, Canadian,
Pakistani and Swedish observers between the capitals. "You see
anything wrong?" "Nah, not me--looks good from here."

What do you think George Bush is doing when he says the next President
will
have to finish Iraq?

Sounds like an honest estimation of a major foreign policy task.

It's not cut and run. It's...

Stand up. We can only help so much before we leave.

And yes we should be committed to leave totally. Permanent bases in Iraq
prove Al-queda's point to the average Arab/Muslim.

Where has any official policy been annunciated at any time which
indicated an intent to establish "Permanent bases in Iraq"?
Increasingly al-Queda's point has been to foment violence between
Muslims rather than against coalition forces.

They haven't announced they won't. And it's been suggested at the highest
levels to the administration that they do

They haven't announced they won't launch a mission to Venus, but I
suspect they won't. How does not announcing an intent lead you to the
conclusion that someone will? Wishful thinking?

[...]

Stalin aggressively developed his international nuclear capability in
the period from 1946 onward. He established and continued to operate
the COMINTERN to train and deploy leaders of Communist revolution. He
maintained a huge military capability--crude, but loads of manpower,
while we largely de-activated the WW II force.

I still remember "duck and cover" drills from second grade. Do you?

[...]

And, I think that it is impossible to define exactly how much time
will be needed for a complicated task. There can be goals, but a fixed
calendar date is impossible.

Hey you playing with the Windows VISTA beta yet?

I've been out of the software reviewing business for about five years
now. Amazingly I haven't had to do a hard drive reformat and full
system reload in all that time--used to be a semi-annual requirement
when I was running an average of 50 new programs a week on the PC.

I've stayed away from VISTA, but been reading eagerly about it. Should
coincide with my rising need for a new system around Jan/Feb of next
year!

Maybe if there's a Palace Cobra royalty check in the new year mail...

bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
God Honest Naval Aviation 2 July 24th 03 04:45 AM