questions on multi-wing planforms

Old June 23rd 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default questions on multi-wing planforms

Firstly, I am new here although I've been reading for a few days. For
anyone with more knowledge than I, I keep considering building a small 4
wing aircraft. Not stacked, but two up front and two in the rear. I have
read frequently of problems supposedly resulting from interference of the
airflow between wings, but I can't seem to find anything very specific. I'm
fairly confident that interference between the front wings (or rear) can be
minimized by reasonable spacing and differing dihedral. I'm not sure what
the effect of the airflow coming off the front wings will have on the rear
set. I don't know whether I could remove most of the problem by having one
set considerably higher (how much?) than the other set or if it is
reasonable to have them on more or less the same height. The reason for
the concept is trying to get a wingspan small enough to fit into a normal
garage and conceivably take off and land from streets and highways. I
visualise something in a two place plane that would fall into something of
the appeal category of a motorcycle or small sports car. Any thoughts would
be appreciated.

Gerry

Old June 23rd 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

pTooner wrote:
[...]

Go from 4 to 1.
The Dyke Delta JD-2 will fold up to fit in a one car garage. And it is
designed to be towed behind a car on it's own wheels; though, some have
had issues with getting trailer tags to do it legally.

--
This is by far the hardest lesson about freedom. It goes against
instinct, and morality, to just sit back and watch people make
Old June 24th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

pTooner wrote:
[...]

Look up "Monk Factor"!

Old June 24th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"pTooner" wrote:
Firstly, I am new here although I've been reading for a few days. For
anyone with more knowledge than I, I keep considering building a small
4 wing aircraft. Not stacked, but two up front and two in the rear.
I have read frequently of problems supposedly resulting from
interference of the airflow between wings, but I can't seem to find
anything very specific.

Theory of biplanes might provide the theoretical basis. My copy of
"Theoretical Aerodynamics" by L. M. Milne-Thomson discusses wing
interference between the wings of biplanes in chapter 8. (It's a Dover
publication, so it is still in print and inexpensive.)

Also, try a Google search on this set of search words (with or without
the search word "stagger"):
aerodynamic gap biplanes

I'm fairly confident that interference
between the front wings (or rear) can be minimized by reasonable
spacing and differing dihedral.

Staggering the wings tends to help reduce interference also.

I'm not sure what the effect of the
airflow coming off the front wings will have on the rear set. I don't
know whether I could remove most of the problem by having one set
considerably higher (how much?) than the other set or if it is
reasonable to have them on more or less the same height.

I suspect having one set high that the other would equivalent to a large
staggering angle.

The reason
for the concept is trying to get a wingspan small enough to fit into a
normal garage and conceivably take off and land from streets and
highways. I visualise something in a two place plane that would fall
into something of the appeal category of a motorcycle or small sports
car. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If you are not already familiar with it, you should browse this site,
which include planes that attempt to satisfy some of your requirements
(the Wernicke Aircar uses low aspect ratio wings to try to meet some of
your requirements):
http://www.roadabletimes.com/
Old June 24th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Ernest Christley" wrote in message
pTooner wrote:
[...]

I'm familiar with the plane, and it is reputed to be very difficult and
lengthy to build.

Gerry

Old June 24th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"ELIPPSE" wrote in message
oups.com...

pTooner wrote:
[...]

In quotes that term doesn't bring any reponse in google. Without quotes it
brings an unmanageable amount but doesn't appear to have anything to do with
aerodynamics. Can you elaborate a bit?
Gerry

Old June 24th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"pTooner" wrote:
[...]

I am getting lots of good info from the sources you recommend and I'll try
the book store tomorrow for that book. If they don't have it I'll go to
Amazon. My basic concept/question is like this. Assuming optimum airfoil
in each case which may well be different; I could build a 20ft span 4 ft
chord wing for 80sqft or two 20span 2 ft chord or 4 10ft span 2 foot chord
and they all equal the same area. What would be their relative lift and
drag numbers? (probably pretty close) BUT would they have strange
characteristics at odd angles of attack? (That is a semi-rhetorical
question)

Gerry

Old June 24th 06, 12:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"pTooner" wrote in message
.. .

"Ernest Christley" wrote in message

snip

I'm familiar with the plane, and it is reputed to be very difficult and
lengthy to build.

Gerry

Not compared to designing, building, and testing a unique design with an odd
planform...

KB

Old June 24th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
news

"pTooner" wrote in message
.. .

"Ernest Christley" wrote in message

snip

I'm familiar with the plane, and it is reputed to be very difficult and
lengthy to build.

Gerry

Not compared to designing, building, and testing a unique design with an
odd planform...

KB

Welllll, I guess I can't argue with that. G
Gerry

Thrusting or Sucking (where's Howard Stern when we need him.) Ken Kochanski (KK) Soaring 37 January 14th 06 09:51 AM
ANG Woman Wing Commander Doesn't See Herself as Pioneer, By Master Sgt. Bob Haskell Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 March 18th 04 08:40 PM
Wing tip stalls mat Redsell Soaring 5 March 13th 04 05:07 PM
Can someone explain wing loading? Frederick Wilson Home Built 4 September 10th 03 02:33 AM
Wing Extensions Jay Home Built 22 July 27th 03 12:23 PM