Another Zoom Lie Discovered

Old February 10th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

Default Another Zoom Lie Discovered

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 08:49:32 -0500, "anon" wrote:

He can't even keep his lies straight. His ego takes over and he claims he
received a nomination to a service academy - then he says his attempt was
unsuccessful. That doesn't make any sense. If you receive a nomination to
a service academy, no military branch would hamper your acceptance.

The difference is in "nomination" vs. "appointment." Being nominated means your
name was formally submitted to the admissions board, but only a bit more than
one in ten are actually offered admission ("appointment").

Each congresscritter is allowed to have five of his/her nominated cadets in each
of four Academies, and is allowed to nominate up to ten candidates for each
vacancy. In a given year, then, Zoom could claim to be one of 120 or more
nominees. He never does specify which Academy he was supposedly nominated to,
remember.

The big differences is that disproving a claim that someone was *appointed* to
an academy is relatively easy...but thirty years later, disproving someone was
*nominated* is a lot tougher. The New Jersey congressional delegation would have
turned over at least once since then, and minor records such as this are not
likely to have been retained. Even *proving* you were nominated would be tough,
if you hadn't hung on to the letter you received.

Finally, as the Air Force Academy web page says, "Each Senator and
Representative has considerable latitude in awarding nominations..." They can
be awarded in response to excellence, or they can be just a political or
personal favor. The congresscritter is protected from blame; they gain credit
for the nomination, but have complete deniability if their candidates fail to
gain appointment since that's an Academy decision.

Ron Wanttaja
Old February 10th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Over

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 08:49:32 -0500, "anon" wrote:

He can't even keep his lies straight. His ego takes over and he claims he

Why bother even figuring it out? Isn't claiming to have found Zoomy telling
a lie about the same as claiming to have found a cow patty in a heavily
stocked pasture? The truth is you're extremely lucky if you walk past him
and don't step into a pile of bull****.

Old February 10th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
anon

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 08:49:32 -0500, "anon" wrote:
The difference is in "nomination" vs. "appointment." Being nominated
means your
name was formally submitted to the admissions board, but only a bit more
than
one in ten are actually offered admission ("appointment").

You're right. I confused nominated with appointed. Every friend of my
that was nominated, ended up at an academy, so I didn't notice the
distinction.

I would have known this if I would have pursued an academy that required a
nomination. I was an alternate to attend the only service academy that uses
competitive admissions instead of the nomination/appointment process.

I guess it's possible that somebody owned Campbell's family a favor. You're
right, records would be hard to obtain.

Old February 10th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 13:18:56 -0500, "anon" wrote:

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 08:49:32 -0500, "anon" wrote:
The difference is in "nomination" vs. "appointment." Being nominated
means your
name was formally submitted to the admissions board, but only a bit more
than
one in ten are actually offered admission ("appointment").

You're right. I confused nominated with appointed. Every friend of my
that was nominated, ended up at an academy, so I didn't notice the
distinction.

No problem...I sometimes have trouble keeping this stuff straight, too.

I guess the most interesting aspect of this was Campbell's planning. He was
applying to go to one of the most prestigious schools in the US.

Many of us in this newsgroup attended college. Many set their sights high, when
they started to apply; if not deciding on the military route, they tried for
admissions to places like MIT, CALTECH, etc. as well as the less-prestigeous
(and less exclusive) schools. Some got their main target, more had to fall back
on one of their secondary choices.

Zoom was trying to get into one of the most grueling, selective academic
environments there is. What was *his* fallback plan?

He enlisted in the Air Force.

Nothing wrong with that, of course...it's to his credit, really. But it does
look like his academic aspirations were the academy, or nothing.

Odd, really. Any number of civilian schools offer ROTC, where he could have
earned a commission and gone on to flight school. He could even eventually be
offered a regular commission (I was). If he was so sierra hotel that he
"almost" got an academy appointment, he could probably have easily earned a
four-year ROTC scholarship.

But no. Perhaps he thought about going to OCS during his enlistment...it would
work, but he still would have needed a college degree, first. Instead, of
course, his enlistment was terminated after just six months of active duty.

There's another potential reason for the lack of a backup plan: Zoom didn't
think he'd need one.

Consider Dr. Powers' testimony in the SE-4661 testimony...he's talking about the
one of the personality disorders he diagnosed Zoom with: "These might be
feelings of entitlement or deserving, you know, special consideration..." Zoom
may have felt he was entitled to the appointment, that they HAD to give it to
him. If that were so...well, he wouldn't *need* a backup plan, would he?

Re-reading some of the testimony suggests an answer to one of the questions I've
posed here in the past: Why did he enlist in the ARMY national guard, only to
transfer to the Air Force once he graduated from high school?

Note that he never *says* what academy he supposed had been nominated to. We've
all assumed it was the Air Force Academy. What if it was West Point, instead?
It would certainly be closer to home, and would explain why he had joined the
Army Guard prior to starting the application process. Joining the Air Force
might reflect that he'd soured on the Army, if he'd been denied a West Point
appointment.

Anyway, one semi-related event to report: Campbell's attorney has filed the
paperwork stating he's ready to go to trial on the ANN lawsuits against
Controlvision and Liberty Aerospace. AFAIK, trial dates have not yet been set.
Nothing new has been added to SNF docket.

Ron Wanttaja
Old February 11th 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

On Feb 10, 2:20 pm, Ron Wanttaja wrote:
[...]

Many things don't quite add up. For instance...

Q. What is your military service number?

A. It would be the same as my social security number - 146524672.

When did the Air Force, Army, or any branch of the service start using
the Social Security Number as the Military Service Number? It sure
wasn't used when I was in the Air Force.

Q. Mr. Campbell, I want to refer you to page 103 of that medical file.
Specifically, I want to draw your attention to Section Number 11, and what
did you indicate was your service? Did you indicate on your application
that you had served with the Air Force or the Army at any time?

A. At the time, I wasn't, though.

Wasn't through...with what? Was he or wasn't he?

Q. At any time did you indicate that you were part of the armed services -
.at any time?

A. During the period of time when I was a member

Member of what? Very strange.

Q. Now, the next application, on Page 105, you also did not put down any
military service number or indicate any prior military service, did you?

A. That's correct.

No military service number because...he was never in servoce or what?

Q. And also on your application on Page 107, you again did not indicate any
armed service, did you?

A. Correct.

So was he lying on the application? If so, why? Unless that
discharge was less than claimed.

Q. And you never received a shrapnel wound to your face, did you?

A. No, m'am. Tree branch, but not shrapnel.

One of his fabricated stories caught up with him and he got called on
it. How friggen funny....No, mam. Tree branch wahwahwah

Q. Mr. Campbell, have you ever been wounded in any way?

A. I have been hurt several times in various ways.

Yeah, stubbed his toe once and hit his thumb with a hammer but
WOUNDED..what total bull****. No, he has never been wounded or even
close to anything that might wound him.

Q. Have you ever received a gunshot wound?

A. Not that I know of."

Not that I know of? If you had ever received a gunshot wound you
would damn well know if you had. What the hell kind of answer it
that?

When so many things don't add up, there is usually a very good reason.

Old February 11th 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On 10 Feb 2007 16:14:45 -0800, "BobR" wrote:

Many things don't quite add up. For instance...

Q. What is your military service number?

A. It would be the same as my social security number - 146524672.

When did the Air Force, Army, or any branch of the service start using
the Social Security Number as the Military Service Number? It sure
wasn't used when I was in the Air Force.

And you, Billy Mitchell, and Ben Folois probably had many arguments about it,
too. :-)

Not sure when it was, but the services did switch to the SSAN. I went in the
Air Force about the same time as Zoom, and my SSAN was my service number.

Ron Wanttaja
Old February 11th 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Carriere

Ron Wanttaja wrote:
On 10 Feb 2007 16:14:45 -0800, "BobR" wrote:

Many things don't quite add up. For instance...

Q. What is your military service number?

A. It would be the same as my social security number - 146524672.

When did the Air Force, Army, or any branch of the service start using
the Social Security Number as the Military Service Number? It sure
wasn't used when I was in the Air Force.

And you, Billy Mitchell, and Ben Folois probably had many arguments about it,
too. :-)

Not sure when it was, but the services did switch to the SSAN. I went in the
Air Force about the same time as Zoom, and my SSAN was my service number.

http://www.ssa.gov/history/1960.html

Skip down to July 1, 1969.

It seems like a McNamara-ism (whiz-kid style business decision), but it
actually happened after his tenure as SECDEF and during the first Nixon
administration.
Old February 11th 07, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_1_]

Were you in the USAF or the Army Air Corps?

Whwn I was in the USAF (1985-1988), we used our SSN.

Scott

Old February 11th 07, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

BobR wrote:

When did the Air Force, Army, or any branch of the service start using
the Social Security Number as the Military Service Number? It sure
wasn't used when I was in the Air Force.- Hide quoted text -

Air Force but apparently things changed since I was in from 1965 till
1969. We did NOT use our Social Security Number at that time. I
guess a lot of things changed in those 20 years.

Old February 11th 07, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Harry K

On Feb 10, 4:55 pm, Jim Carriere wrote:
Ron Wanttaja wrote:
On 10 Feb 2007 16:14:45 -0800, "BobR" wrote:

Many things don't quite add up. For instance...

Q. What is your military service number?

A. It would be the same as my social security number - 146524672.
When did the Air Force, Army, or any branch of the service start using
the Social Security Number as the Military Service Number? It sure
wasn't used when I was in the Air Force.

And you, Billy Mitchell, and Ben Folois probably had many arguments about it,
too. :-)

Not sure when it was, but the services did switch to the SSAN. I went in the
Air Force about the same time as Zoom, and my SSAN was my service number.

http://www.ssa.gov/history/1960.html

Skip down to July 1, 1969.

It seems like a McNamara-ism (whiz-kid style business decision), but it
actually happened after his tenure as SECDEF and during the first Nixon
administration.- Hide quoted text -

That was a surprise. I was in 1954-1975. I was thinking it was late
50s or early 60s. Still remember my old AF number.

Harry K