Science Channel - How It's Made - Gliders

Old November 15th 08, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Default Science Channel - How It's Made - Gliders

I DVR'd four episodes of the show yesterday but didn't see a glider in
any of 'em.

~ted/2NO
(on Cox Cable in Phoenix AZ)
Old November 15th 08, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Barny

The subject line for the show is "Heated Skate Blades, Gliders, Hand
Bells, Fire Hoses".

Skates are electric hockey skates, The glider is a Ventus 2cxt, Hand
Bells like those used by Christmas Beggers.
~Bruece Barnard
Old November 15th 08, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Thompson

On Nov 15, 9:29*am, Barny wrote:
The subject line for the show is "Heated Skate Blades, Gliders, Hand
Bells, Fire Hoses".

Skates are electric hockey skates, The glider is a Ventus 2cxt, Hand
Bells like those used by Christmas Beggers.
~Bruece Barnard

I watched it last night. It was very short, but a good presentation
of the basic construction techniques.
When my wife commented "no wonder they are so expensive" I thought it
was thorough enough and time well-spent....

Bob
Old November 15th 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

************************************************** *************************************
When my wife commented "no wonder they are so expensive" I thought it
was thorough enough and time well-spent....

************************************************** *************************************
Excellent!
Old November 15th 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

It's on again today at 1300 PST, Direct TV channel 284 - - set to record - -
woohoo!

BTW, looks like I'll be on a Discovery Channel "Steve Fossett" feature that
is being produced. Don't know when it's going to be aired.

Took the photog around the Carson Valley in my Husky to get some air to
ground of the terrain and also some air to air shots of my blue and white
Husky, as they wanted video of something that looked similar to what Steve
was flying. So if someone sees it scheduled, I'd appreciate knowing when
etc.

Hoping they'll edit out whatever stupid remarks I made - - but I know that
won't likely happen (g). I did get them to do the interview with Minden's
one year old soaring FBO, "Soaring NV" in the background (you do what you
can to get free soaring press).

Bumper
zz

Old November 15th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

This report is one day late; too bad.

At 20:14 08 November 2008, Ken Kochanski KK wrote:
My local Comcast Guide (Delaware, USA) says the episode next Friday
(11/14) at 9:00 PM will include a segment on glider manufacturing.

KK

Old November 16th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Just watched it. Interesting!

I never thought about using a cloth roller to apply epoxy before, have
to give that a try!

Also..............did I see them rolling on gel-coat into the wing
mold?

And................that ply of carbon they rolled out along the wing,
I am guessing it was a +/- 45 roll? Then the next layer they locate at
a 45 degree angle..............

Those guys are in trouble now that I've seen their
secrets.................I mean, it looks EASY to build a glider,
right??

Brad
Old November 17th 08, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Nov 15, 4:08*pm, Brad wrote:
Just watched it. Interesting!

I never thought about using a cloth roller to apply epoxy before, have
to give that a try!

Also..............did I see them rolling on gel-coat into the wing
mold?

And................that ply of carbon they rolled out along the wing,
I am guessing it was a +/- 45 roll? Then the next layer they locate at
a 45 degree angle..............

Those guys are in trouble now that I've seen their
secrets.................I mean, it looks EASY to build a glider,
right??

Brad

Cool Brad! I have a free weekend coming up. How 'bout we meet at Bob
K's place and knock out a couple of HP-24's?
Oh wait... you already have one. Never mind.
Old November 17th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Nov 16, 6:18*pm, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:
On Nov 15, 4:08*pm, Brad wrote:

Just watched it. Interesting!

I never thought about using a cloth roller to apply epoxy before, have
to give that a try!

Also..............did I see them rolling on gel-coat into the wing
mold?

And................that ply of carbon they rolled out along the wing,
I am guessing it was a +/- 45 roll? Then the next layer they locate at
a 45 degree angle..............

Those guys are in trouble now that I've seen their
secrets.................I mean, it looks EASY to build a glider,
right??

Brad

Cool Brad! *I have a free weekend coming up. *How 'bout we meet at Bob
K's place and knock out a couple of HP-24's?
Oh wait... you already have one. *Never mind.- Hide quoted text -

Bring your Tyvek suit!
Brad
Old November 20th 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Did I see the spar cap in the top wing skin, not a completed spar as
in Schleicher products? This would make the glue line between the
bottom of the spar cap and the shear-web flange. Guess it doesn't
matter as long as they use enough goo. Who was it who didn't use
enough goo, a few years back?
:) JJ

2, People know that Swiss made watches are best, while the Asia madeare worst but cheapest, but Some of Asia made Oyster Perpetual Air King - AllStainless Steel are also close to a real thing that is in fact almostimpossible to tell the difference. [email protected] Piloting 0 April 26th 08 07:49 PM
Science Qs Greg Farr Aviation Photos 4 April 3rd 08 08:16 AM
Science et vie 01 Patrick R7 Aviation Photos 17 October 19th 07 09:57 AM
X-Prize is currently live on Discovery Science Channel Roger Halstead Home Built 50 October 10th 04 11:49 AM
Gliders on TV History Channel Burt Compton Soaring 4 April 28th 04 05:42 PM