Mifflin - just a reminder about a great place to fly *anytime*

Old May 12th 04, 05:01 AM
Bob Lepp

Default Mifflin - just a reminder about a great place to fly *anytime*

Just got back from a week at Mifflin PA. What a kickstart to the
season! A half dozen Canadians were there, and a large group from the
Greater Boston Soaring Club. We all discussed having mixed feelings
about reminding you here in RAS that you all can fly *ANY* time at
Mifflin, since the busier it gets the longer the tow lineup!

We felt Butch Thompson, Brian Glick, Quill, and all the Mifflin County
Airport staff need a bit of extra praise for presenting just a perfect
atmosphere even when there is no contest.

Thanks a lot, guys!

Despite rumours or statements to the contrary, Butch "will tow 365
days a year", and I guess Brian gets the 366th in a leap year. It's
the perfect "club" without being a club.

For those in the northeast USA or eastern Canada not looking for
training or instruction outside their own club resources, what a deal!
5,000 foot paved and grass runways. Large grass rigging areas. 180HP
Husky tows are $16 to 1,000 ft and $4 per 500 feet after that. Tows to
Bald Eagle Ridge are done on request, most days we got there on our
own. Your only other costs are $1 per day trailer parking (right
beside the taxiway), $2 grass or $3 tarmac for tiedowns if you don't
de-rig daily. Camping, motorhome or house trailers are welcome,
electrical hookups at similar low rates. Invite the guys to your BBQ's
and they may open up the grill and meal facilities to you! That's it,
no other fees. I had a B&B for $25 a day, huge breakfast and a lunch
to go (they have a room open for the contest). Hotels are $58 and up
close by.

A few clubs do an annual outing here, a great idea, you won't regret
it. You can get lots of advice and coaching on ridge and cross country
from other pilots before you start, and you need not ridge fly at all
since a wide valley holds the airport. You have the choice of two
ridges off tow depending on winds. And (proven by me) lots of nice
soft farm fields in which to outland.

Or go on your own. Butch can tell you who's planning what/when.

Email Butch at: or phone 814 364-1539

You will not regret it!

While this sounds like an advertisement, it is not, we just wanted to
give credit where due to these guys and Mifflin County, and I was
volunteered. You'll see why when you try it. They do not have a web
site of their own, you learn of them by word of mouth only.

The contest site is:
http://mifflin.soaringweb.net/

We'll be back in early October! Join us.

Regards,

Bob Lepp
York Soaring Association
Ontario, Canada