Extreme Reaction Force: U.S.E.R.F. drops the ball ...

Old March 12th 04, 02:37 PM
*.*

Default Extreme Reaction Force: U.S.E.R.F. drops the ball ...

Oelewapper wrote:

Found this article on alledged human-rights-abuses by the U.S.E.R.F. (the
U.S. military Extreme Reaction Force). Interesting stuff, but is it true?
Or maybe it's just the tip of the iceberg ...

MY HELL IN CAMP X-RAY
Mar 12 2004

A BRITISH captive freed from Guantanamo Bay today tells the world of its
full horror - and reveals how prostitutes were taken into the camp to
degrade Muslim inmates.

Jamal al-Harith, 37, who arrived home three days ago after two years of
confinement, is the first detainee to lift the lid on the US regime in
Cuba's Camp X-Ray and Camp Delta.

The father-of-three, from Manchester, told how he was assaulted with fists,
feet and batons after refusing a mystery injection.

He said detainees were shackled for up to 15 hours at a time in hand and leg
cuffs with metal links which cut into the skin.

Their "cells" were wire cages with concrete floors and open to the
elements - giving no privacy or protection from the rats, snakes and
scorpions loose around the American base.

He claims punishment beatings were handed out by guards known as the Extreme
Reaction Force. They waded into inmates in full riot-gear, raining blows on
them.

Prisoners faced psychological torture and mind-games in attempts to make
them confess to acts they had never committed. Even petty breaches of rules
brought severe punishment.

Medical treatment was sparse and brutal and amputations of limbs were more
drastic than required, claimed Jamal.

A diet of foul water and food up to 10 years out-of-date left inmates
malnourished.

But Jamal's most shocking disclosure centred on the use of vice girls to
torment the most religiously devout detainees.

Prisoners who had never seen an "unveiled" woman before would be forced to
watch as the hookers touched their own naked bodies.

The men would return distraught. One said an American girl had smeared
menstrual blood across his face in an act of humiliation.

Jamal said: "I knew of this happening about 10 times. It always seemed to be
those who were very young or known to be particularly religious who would be
taken away.

"I would joke with the other British lads, 'Bring them to us - we'll have
them'. It made us laugh. But the Americans obviously knew we wouldn't be
shocked by seeing Western women, so they didn't bother.

"It was a profoundly disturbing experience for these men. They would refuse
to speak about what had happened. It would take perhaps four weeks for them
to tell a friend - and we would shout it out around the whole block."

Jamal added: "The whole point of Guantanamo was to get to you
psychologically. The beatings were not as nearly as bad as the psychological
torture - bruises heal after a week - but the other stuff stays with you."

HE was talking from a secret location after being reunited with his family.
The website designer, a convert to Islam, had gone to Pakistan in October
2001, a few weeks after September 11, to study Muslim culture.

He accidentally strayed into Afghanistan - believing he was being driven to
Turkey - and was arrested as a spy, perhaps because of his British passport.
He was held in Kandahar, Afghanistan, and fell into US hands.

Now Jamal bears the scars of Guantanamo. He stoops into a hunch as he walks
because the shackles that bound him were too short.

As a punishment, inmates would be confined so tightly they would be forced
to lie in a ball for hours. During lengthy interrogation, they would be
tethered to a metal ring on the floor.

Jamal said: "Sometimes you would be chained up on the floor with your hands
and feet actually bound together. One of my friends told me he was kept like
that for 15 hours once.

"Recreation meant your legs were untied and you walked up and down a strip
of gravel. In Camp X-Ray you only got five minutes but in Delta you walked
for around 15 minutes."

Jamal said victims of the Extreme Reaction Force were paraded in front of
cells. "It was a horrible sight and it was a frequent sight."

He said one unit used force-feeding to end a hunger strike by 70 per cent of
the 600 inmates. The strike started after a guard deliberately kicked a copy
of the Koran.

Rice and beans was the usual diet and the water was "filthy". Jamal added:
"In Camp X-Ray it was yellow and in Delta it was black - the colour of
Coca-Cola.

"We had it piped through with a tap in each 'cage' but they would often turn
the water off as punishment.

"They would shut off the water before prayers so we couldn't wash ourselves
according to our religion.

"The food was terrible as well, up to 10 years out-of-date. They would open
a hatch and shove it through a section at a time.

"We had porridge and something they called 'like-milk', which was disgusting
and 'like-tea' and a piece of fruit. The fruit had been frozen and pounded
with chemicals. An apple might look red but there was waxy white stuff all
over it and inside it would be black and brown.

"They would play tricks on people by denying them things - you might be the
only person on your block who didn't get any bread. I prided myself on never
asking them for anything. I would not beg." Jamal said they were told they
had no rights. "They actually said that - 'You have no rights here'. After a
while, we stopped asking for human rights - we wanted animal rights. In Camp
X-Ray my cage was right next to a kennel housing an Alsatian dog.

"He had a wooden house with air conditioning and green grass to exercise on.
I said to the guards, 'I want his rights' and they replied, 'That dog is
member of the US army'.

"You would be punished for anything - for having six packets of salt in your
cell rather than five, for hanging your towel through the cage if it wasn't
wet, even for having your spoon and things lined up in the wrong order."

Being forced to use a bucket as a toilet in view of other inmates and guards
was particularly embarrassing. Jamal said: "I never got used to it - we
would all put our towels and clothes around us.

"But the Military Police up in the tower would see us and would shout to
each other.

"We were only allowed a shower once a week at the beginning and none at all
in solitary confinement.

"This was very tough because you are supposed to be clean when you pray.

"Gradually the number of showers rose to three a week. They were always
cold.

"You would be chained by two MPs while you were still in the cage before
being taken off for what they called 'rec and shower'.

"You could sometimes see the guards tampering with the shower heads to make
water squirt all over the inmate's clothes if he had put them up to protect
his privacy."

Inmates were issued with "comfort items" - known as CIs - like shampoo,
towels, a washcloth and boxer shorts. CIs would be removed as a punishment.

Jamal defiantly refused "treats", such as watching a James Bond film in a
room dubbed The Love Shack by inmates.

He added: "Some people were given pizzas, ice-cream and McDonald's, but they
didn't offer them to me. I guess they knew bribery would work with some and
not with others."

To pass the time, inmates would chat to each other, pray, read the Koran and
sing Islamic songs. In Camp X-Ray, they were given Mills and Boon-style
romance novels in Arabic, which they refused to read.

Describing medical treatment, Jamal said he knew of 11 men who had legs
amputated and two who lost toes and fingers. He was told that the Americans
had removed far more tissue than was necessary.

HE added: "The man in the cell next to me had frostbite in two fingers and
two toes. He also had it in his big toe, but they didn't treat that for a
year by which time they had to cut off much more than was needed.

"All the men who had lost limbs complained they would chop them off high up
and not bother to try to save as much as possible."

Jamal added that he didn't have close friends in Guantanamo, saying: "When I
did meet the other Brits, we would reminisce about home - particularly the
food.

"We were all obsessed with Scottish Highland Shortbread - we wanted some so
much.

"One of the Brits told me he was asked why he was a Muslim, because he ought
to be praying to the Queen."

Jamal, who is divorced with daughters aged three and eight and a son of
five, is convinced his refusal to succumb to mind-games gave him the will to
come through.

He said: "It was very, very hard at times, but I tried to think about
nothing but survival.

"I kept my thoughts from home as much as possible because it would drive me
crazy.

"About a year into my time, I had a dream. A voice said, 'You will here for
two years'.

"In my dream I said, 'Two years! You're joking'. But when I woke up, I was
calmer because at least that meant I would be getting out one day.

"I was sent to Guantanamo on February 11, 2002 and left on March 9, 2004, so
I was there for just over two years, just like the voice in the dream said."

By Rosa Prince and Gary Jones

----

TERROR OF TORTURE IN CUBA CAMP
Mar 12 2004

JAMAL al-Harith told last night how he suffered a brutal attack by US
military police because he refused to have a mystery injection.

A squad of five men used batons, fists, feet and knees in an assault that
left him with severe bruising.

During the beating the officers barked in automated unison: "Comply, comply,
comply. Do not resist. Do not resist."

Jamal told how the men swung into action after he politely refused a jab an
orderly was trying to give him because he didn't know what it was and he was
fit and healthy.

The squad was from the US military's Extreme Reaction Force, a unit trained
to hand out beatings and known to prisoners at Guantanamo as ERF.

Jamal said: "I could hear their feet stomping on the ground as they got
closer and closer to my cell. They were given a briefing about me refusing
the injection, then I heard them readying themselves outside.

"I was terrified of what they were going to do. I had seen victims of ERF
being paraded in front of my cell.

"They had been battered and bruised into submission. It was a horrible sight
and a frequent sight."

Jamal, who had been warned by interrogators they would inject him with drugs
if he did not answer their questions, cowered in his cell awaiting the
inevitable.

When it came the full force of heavily protected men in riot gear, with
batons and shields, was used against him.

He said: "They were really gung-ho, hyped up and aggressive. One of them
attacked me really hard and left me with a deep red mark from my backbone
down to my knee. I thought I was bleeding, but it was just really bad
bruising.

"I said to myself, 'You shouldn't have put yourself through that', but said
nothing to the ERFs. I didn't want to give them the satisfaction.

"There is principle and I wasn't going to take the injection so if they
wanted to beat me up that was down to them. This huge black bruise was there
for days after that."

But Jamal's ordeal didn't end there. Half an hour later as he was
recovering, a second ERF squad arrived to dish out more punishment.

HE SAID: "They accused me of biting a military policeman. I said nothing. I
knew it wouldn't help whatever I said.

"They laid into me again. When they were finished I sat down, picked up the
Koran and started reading. Then two guards put me in more chains and said:
'Will you comply?'"

Jamal was taken to the feared isolation units, nicknamed ISOs, where those
accused of misbehaving are kept in solitary confinement with just a mat and
towel.

A toothbrush, toothpaste and soap, considered "comfort items", were denied.
Jamal admits this was the first time he cried, although he did not let the
guards see he was upset.

He added: "I sobbed a little, twice. Everything had been taken away from me.
All I had was my dignity."

Jamal told of the psychological torture used on those in the isolation unit
by guards who were trying to break their resolve.

Bright lights were left on in their cells overnight making it impossible to
sleep properly. And the rooms were turned very hot in the day or freezing in
the early morning by using fans in the ceiling.

Jamal said: "I'd wake up at 3am shivering like crazy. Just to keep a little
bit warm I'd try to sleep under a metal bed to protect me from the cold air
that was blowing in.

"I'd kept a towel which I hid from a guard to lie on. It wasn't much, but it
made things a bit better."

He was put in the isolation unit twice more. Once when he kept ripping off
wrist bands with his name and the number 490 written on and another time
after guards set up a group of detainees by pretending some spoons had gone
missing. Jamal said: "Non-compliance were the favourite words thrown at us."

Jamal told how he was interrogated on a regular basis by FBI and CIA agents
and later MI5.

On 40 occasions he was quizzed in chains, which were bolted to the floor,
for up to 12 hours at a time.

Jamal quickly became an expert in their interrogation techniques, often
turning questions on his tormentors.

He said: "They'd ask me the same thing over and over again. Sometimes I'd
say nothing and they asked me why I wasn't responding.

"I'd say: 'You're boring me, ask me something new and I will reply'." After
the Americans failed to glean any information, MI5 officers and British
consular officials interviewed him. On eight or nine occasions they tried to
make him admit he was involved in terrorism.

Jamal said: "They would say: 'Are you a terrorist?' I'd say 'no, get me out
of here'."

Speaking about his British interrogators, Jamal added: "They were a mixed
bunch. There was one young nervous guy who looked about 21. I called him
Youth Training Scheme MI5.

"He wasn't very professional and hadn't even checked out my background. One
of them did say they had run my name and details through every Interpol
check, but could find nothing. I told them that's because I'm innocent.
There's nothing on me. I haven't even got a parking ticket.

"The young guy got a bit frustrated with me and said: 'Are you trying to
tell me how to do my job?'

"One MI5 guy I just didn't want to talk to. He kept asking me questions and
I'd say 'it's in my file'.

"In the end I said: 'I'm not talking any more.' He replied: 'I've come all
this way from England to see you.' I only saw him for 10 minutes. He was
very red faced and angry."

Jamal said his US interrogators were much meaner in their approach to
questioning.

One told him after not getting the answers he wanted: "We are going to
inject you with drugs."

Jamal said: "They were trying everything they could to frighten me. They
even staged a mock beating up in the next room to me. They started shouting
and pulling a chair around, but I knew there wasn't anyone there because I
couldn't hear any chains clanking on the floor."

Another officer threatened Jamal with torture to get a confession. He told
him: "Then we will kill your family and you."

Jamal said: "Sometimes they'd joke about what they were going to do to me.
But I was determined to show no weakness. I didn't want to let them think
they were getting to me.

"Other times they'd play a good cop, bad cop routine. I tried to remain
calm, although I was fuming inside. It would been giving in to have lost my
temper and I never did, not once.

"I don't swear and I didn't fight back. It was only on principles that I
stood my ground.

"The mental torture was far tougher than any of the physical punishments. I
knew I was being treated a lot worse than any of the other detainees. They
tried everything to break me.

"Ridiculously, they even accused me of being an MI5 spy.

"I began to tease them a little because it was my way of coping. They could
never work out when I was serious or not.

I HAD three plaits in my beard. I suggested, although I didn't say it, that
it was for three people I had killed during drug deals in Moss Side,
Manchester.

"I was making the whole thing up but they believed me. Next time I saw an
officer he said MI5 had confirmed the story.

"They couldn't get a handle on me and that frustrated them. In the end one
said: 'Who are you?' And I said: 'I've been here for over one a half years
and you're asking who I am?'

"I took a stand against them because what they were doing to me was
barbaric. I wouldn't get down on my knees for the chains to be pulled around
my body because it was demeaning.

"About 20 per cent of us wouldn't co-operate. Eventually they backed down
and we would stand while the guards went on their knees to chain us up.

"That was a small victory. There weren't many, but they were memorable. I
will cherish them."

Despite the horror, Jamal said there were lighter moments.

One particular interrogation technique amused him. He said: "They started
playing different music to see how I would react.

"They started with country singer Kris Kristofferson which I said I quite
liked. Then some Fleetwood Mac songs.

"They watched my reactions on camera. I just said the music's great and even
started singing along. They didn't play it again."

In the isolation unit, Jamal met for the first time fellow British detainee
Tarek Dergoul.

He said: "He was suave and had a pencil moustache. We had a good chat about
life back in Britain."

Jamal was released on Tuesday after being flown from Cuba to RAF Northolt,
West London.

He arrived back with four other former Guantanamo Bay Britons - Asif Iqbal
and Ruhal Ahmed, both 22, and 26-year-olds Shafiq Rasul and Tarek.

They were freed on Wednesday night after being quizzed by anti-terrorist
police in London.

Four other British suspects are still being held in Cuba.

Foreign Secretary Jack Straw last night said the US was right to keep the
men locked up and the release of the five did not necessarily prove their
innocence.

He added: "The Americans as far as they were concerned had good reason for
detaining them."

Asked whether they were innocent, he replied: "I can't answer that question,
nobody can."

----

A TALE TO SHAME THE FREE WORLD

YESTERDAY saw another appalling reminder of the curse of terrorism.

The terrible toll in human life and suffering in Madrid unites people around
the world.

No wonder there is hatred for the fanatics who inflict such pain and misery.

Which is why some people are critical of the men who have just returned to
this country from the camp at Guantanamo Bay.

They assumed the five were linked to terrorists in Afghanistan because we
knew nothing about them or what happened to them. Until now.

Today the Mirror tells the story of Jamal al-Harith who has spent the past
two years incarcerated in the hell of Camp Delta.

He had gone on a visit to Pakistan - as he says, like thousands of other
Britons - but a truck he hired to get him out drove into Afghanistan.

That led to his capture by the brutal Taliban. He was lucky to survive.

When he was freed, it was only to be seized by the Americans and sent to
Cuba. Which is when a greater torment began.

What Jamal reveals about the treatment of prisoners at Camp Delta will shock
everyone who believes in the rule of law.

They were abused, beaten, threatened, tortured and humiliated.

Naked prostitutes were paraded in front of the most religious men. They were
mockingly told they had no rights.

Jamal suffered as much as anyone even though, as he says, he had never
received as much as a parking ticket before his incarceration.

Both President Bush and his Defence Secretary, Donald Rumsfeld,
contemptuously dismissed everyone at Guantanamo as a dangerous terrorist.

That was a blatant lie and shames the United States - the leader of the free
world and supposed upholder of justice and decency.

Jamal al-Harith has exposed the disgrace of what has gone on at Camp Delta -
and is still going on to hundreds who remain there.

His story should make the international community insist that the Americans
stop their shameful behaviour.

And not just for the sake of justice. For there is a connection between the
prisoners there and the broken and bleeding bodies in Madrid.

Just as the free world must unite against terrorism, so it must stand
together to uphold civilisation and the rule of law.

We will not beat the terrorists by the scandalous and debasing treatment of
the Guantanamo prisoners.

All that does is convince the perverted minds of the fanatics that they are
right.

---

The Mirror newspaper - London, UK

Old March 12th 04, 02:38 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Oelewapper" wrote in message
Found this article on alledged human-rights-abuses by the U.S.E.R.F. (the
U.S. military Extreme Reaction Force). Interesting stuff, but is it true?
Or maybe it's just the tip of the iceberg ...

Or the biggest heap of crap in history

for example.

He accidentally strayed into Afghanistan - believing he was being driven

Turkey - and was arrested as a spy, perhaps because of his British

passport.
He was held in Kandahar, Afghanistan, and fell into US hands.

I have a hard time believing anyone could 'accidentally'
stray into Afghanistan, especially in the belief he had hitched
a ride to Turkey.

Thats rather like 'straying' across the border from Mexico
into the USA and then telling the border patrol you thought
you were driving to Guatemala.

Keith

Old March 12th 04, 05:56 PM
Simon Elliott

Keith Willshaw writes
He accidentally strayed into Afghanistan - believing he was being driven

Turkey - and was arrested as a spy, perhaps because of his British

passport.
He was held in Kandahar, Afghanistan, and fell into US hands.

I have a hard time believing anyone could 'accidentally'
stray into Afghanistan, especially in the belief he had hitched
a ride to Turkey.

Thats rather like 'straying' across the border from Mexico
into the USA and then telling the border patrol you thought
you were driving to Guatemala.

Eh?

If Jamal al-Harith was planning to travel by road from Pakistan to
Turkey, the logical route into and through Iran would start out just
south of Afghanistan. You wouldn't have to be all that geographically
challenged, or stray all that far off course, to find yourself in
Afghanistan.

Whereas from Mexico, the USA is more or less due north and Guatemala
more or less due south.

I'd be interested to see if he had obtained an Iranian visa. If he had
then it would add significantly to the credibility of his account.

Of course, if he had got a lift from someone, the driver might have had
undisclosed business interests in Afghanistan...
--
Simon Elliott
http://www.ctsn.co.uk/

Old March 12th 04, 06:08 PM
Alan Minyard

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:37:32 GMT, "*.*" wrote:

Oelewapper wrote:

Found this article on alledged human-rights-abuses by the U.S.E.R.F. (the
U.S. military Extreme Reaction Force). Interesting stuff, but is it true?
Or maybe it's just the tip of the iceberg ...

MY HELL IN CAMP X-RAY
Mar 12 2004

Utter and complete Bull Sh**

PLONK

Al Minyard
Old March 12th 04, 06:32 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Simon Elliott" wrote in message

If Jamal al-Harith was planning to travel by road from Pakistan to
Turkey, the logical route into and through Iran would start out just
south of Afghanistan. You wouldn't have to be all that geographically
challenged, or stray all that far off course, to find yourself in
Afghanistan.

Whereas from Mexico, the USA is more or less due north and Guatemala
more or less due south.

I'd be interested to see if he had obtained an Iranian visa. If he had
then it would add significantly to the credibility of his account.

Of course, if he had got a lift from someone, the driver might have had
undisclosed business interests in Afghanistan...
--

His Story is that just after the Sept 11 attacks he decided to peacably
study Islam in Pakistan when he was spooked by the American

Presumably we arent supposed to ask why he didnt travel home the way he went
in the first place or why he was the only person on the planet surprised
that
the Americans were ****ed off by the Taliban refusing to hand over
OBL. Of course it never occurred to ask what the route was or why the
route to Iran went through the mountains into Pashtun territory

A less than credible story I fear.

Keith

Old March 12th 04, 07:57 PM
Krztalizer

One has to wonder where the hell whores came from at GITMO - were there "hooker
relocation flights" from Miami?

Old March 13th 04, 01:59 AM
No SPAM, Please

Oelewapper wrote:

Found this article on alledged human-rights-abuses by the U.S.E.R.F. (the
U.S. military Extreme Reaction Force). Interesting stuff, but is it true?
Or maybe it's just the tip of the iceberg ...

Nicely written propaganda piece, although the propaganda is carefully
tailored to assault Islamic/Arab audience sensibilities - it rings oddly
(if not occasionally amusing or even absurd) to a Western audience.

Just enough "truth" (such as repositioning allowing once-a-day showers
(fairly standard in most gaols) to be 'withholding washing before
prayers' - which would require showers several times a day) mixed with
fantasies which are particularly Islamic-centric ('a menstruating whore
smeared her blood on me'... something that sounds comic & absurd in the
West because it's doesn't matter but is much more of a threat there).

There's also the minor fact of there is no such detachment as a "US
ERF", but they can certainly explain away its lack of existence as it
being "super-secret".

Of course, no one will be allowed medical access to this young man to
actually perform medical tests to determine things like whether he
really is stooped due to shackles.

Sigh. A fluff propaganda piece.

Old March 14th 04, 04:11 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

A less than credible story I fear.

Well then, if they are guilty: why let the Guantanamo Britons go ???

Becasue there is insufficient evidence to prove before
a court that they are guilty.

Isn't
it odd, that after their two year illegal "detention"(?), torture and

other
human rights abuses, the U.S. government still hasn't got a clue about

their
guilt, involvement or responsibility ???

I'm sure that it has a very good idea of what they were up
to but is unable to prove serious criminal behaviour in court

What kind of a democracy is this anyway ???

In the UK we call it a constitiutional Monarchy.

ghost written fiction snipped

Keith

Old March 14th 04, 04:58 PM
devil

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 15:11:01 +0000, Keith Willshaw wrote:

"Oelewapper" wrote in message

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

A less than credible story I fear.

Well then, if they are guilty: why let the Guantanamo Britons go ???

Becasue there is insufficient evidence to prove before
a court that they are guilty.

What about most of the other ones? In most cases, the same should apply
too, shouldn't it?

Short answer: because they aren't Brits.

Not really human, or at least it seems they don't qualify for basic human
rights, or something like that. Good old US double standard, or what?

Old March 14th 04, 06:32 PM
Keith Willshaw

"devil" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 15:11:01 +0000, Keith Willshaw wrote:

"Oelewapper" wrote in message

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

A less than credible story I fear.

Well then, if they are guilty: why let the Guantanamo Britons go ???

Becasue there is insufficient evidence to prove before
a court that they are guilty.

What about most of the other ones? In most cases, the same should apply
too, shouldn't it?

The indications are that the remaining British prisoners
will be tried

Short answer: because they aren't Brits.

Not really human, or at least it seems they don't qualify for basic human
rights, or something like that. Good old US double standard, or what?

Those that are citizens of Arab countries and Afghamistan may well prefer
Guantanamo to what happens if they are repatriated.

Keith