Can you dry sump a type1 VW engine?

Old January 24th 07, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fonz

Default Can you dry sump a type1 VW engine?

God Morning all.
Brief question. Is is possible (has it been done), to dry sump a type1 VW
engine, such as the one marketed by great planes? The use, inverted flight,
and mild -ve Gs.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Rob.
Melbourne Australia.

Old January 24th 07, 07:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

Fonz wrote:
God Morning all.
Brief question. Is is possible (has it been done), to dry sump a type1 VW
engine, such as the one marketed by great planes? The use, inverted flight,
and mild -ve Gs.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Rob.
Melbourne Australia.

I don't know about inverted but VW hot rodders have been dry sumpping
aircooled VW engines for many years. The kits used to be readily
available but I haven't looked for one in many years...

Tony

Old January 24th 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jarhead

"Fonz" wrote in message
| God Morning all.
| Brief question. Is is possible (has it been done), to dry sump a
type1 VW
| engine, such as the one marketed by great planes? The use, inverted
flight,
| and mild -ve Gs.
| Thanks in advance for any replies.
| Rob.
| Melbourne Australia.

A quick search provided this link:
http://users.lmi.net/~ryoung/Sonerai...VW_aeroen.html
EAA has a link too, but I am no longer a member and couldn't access it.
There is a Australian VW group called VeeDub that may be of help to you.

--
Jarhead

Old January 24th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jan 23, 7:03 pm, "Fonz" wrote:
Is is possible (has it been done), to dry sump a type1 VW
engine, such as the one marketed by great planes?

Yes. In fact, it's a standard procedure for high-output engines based
on after-market VW components installed in dragsters.

The use, inverted flight,
and mild -ve Gs.

Entirely different subject, if you mean sustained flight whilst
inverted or knife-edged. Not that it can't be done but that weight &
cost of doing so is generally impractical for such a small engine.

-R.S.Hoover

Old January 24th 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flybynightkarmarepair

On Jan 24, 7:34 am, "Jarhead" wrote:
"Fonz" wrote in ...
| Brief question. Is is possible (has it been done), to dry sump a
type1 VW
| engine, such as the one marketed by great planes? The use, inverted
flight,
| and mild -ve Gs.
| Thanks in advance for any replies.
| Rob.
| Melbourne Australia.

A quick search provided this link:http://users.lmi.net/~ryoung/Sonerai...VW_aeroen.html
EAA has a link too, but I am no longer a member and couldn't access it.
There is a Australian VW group called VeeDub that may be of help to you.

Everything I wrote about the subject in the referenced link still
applies, but I didn't mention you'll need to figure out a way to get
oil out of the top of the engine case, and possibly also the valve
covers, and run it to the shuttle valve. Not For Beginners.

Old January 25th 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
clare at snyder.on.ca

On 24 Jan 2007 15:09:24 -0800, "flybynightkarmarepair"
wrote:

On Jan 24, 7:34 am, "Jarhead" wrote:
"Fonz" wrote in ...
| Brief question. Is is possible (has it been done), to dry sump a
type1 VW
| engine, such as the one marketed by great planes? The use, inverted
flight,
| and mild -ve Gs.
| Thanks in advance for any replies.
| Rob.
| Melbourne Australia.

A quick search provided this link:http://users.lmi.net/~ryoung/Sonerai...VW_aeroen.html
EAA has a link too, but I am no longer a member and couldn't access it.
There is a Australian VW group called VeeDub that may be of help to you.

Everything I wrote about the subject in the referenced link still
applies, but I didn't mention you'll need to figure out a way to get
oil out of the top of the engine case, and possibly also the valve
covers, and run it to the shuttle valve. Not For Beginners.

Without adding a proper seal to the pulley end of the shaft you can't
implement the "rotax dry sump" solution. It works good on Soobs and
'Zooks etc.

Old January 27th 07, 07:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fonz

Thanks for all replies and links
Rob
Melbourne Australia.