Does part 91 apply outside the USA?

Old February 5th 08, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Barry

Default Does part 91 apply outside the USA?

Now let's take 91.175. The USA mandates the use of a published IAP.
The UK does not. 91.1 says p91 does not apply outside the USA. Does
this mean one can fly an unpublished IAP in the UK?

I don't see anything in 91.1 saying that it does not apply outside the US.
It says that it does apply within the US:

"(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section and
§§91.701 and 91.703, this part prescribes rules governing the operation of
aircraft (...) within the United States ..."

and 91.703 then extends the compliance requirement outside the US "so far as
it is not inconsistent with applicable regulations of the foreign country
where the aircraft is operated or annex 2 of the Convention on International
Civil Aviation...".

So unless flying an IAP in the UK would somehow violate some UK rule, it
sounds to me like a US-registered plane in the UK must comply with 91.175
and use a standard IAP.

I take back what I just said. My copy of Jeppesen's "FARs Explained" cites an
FAA Chief Counsel opinion in which a US-registered plane operating in Italy
was not required to comply with 91.521 (shoulder harness) because Italian
rules did not require this. Similar decision concerning fuel reserves, where
30 minutes (Italian rule) was acceptable in a situation that would have
required 45 minutes by US FARs. So the FAA interpretation of "inconsistent"
is apparently more lenient than my own interpretation. Hard to believe!

I could not find this opinion online, the date is 2-16-1983.

Old February 5th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning, rec.aviation.ifr, rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 4, 4:40*pm, "Barry" wrote:
[...]

I could not find this opinion online, the date is 2-16-1983.- Hide quoted text -

I'm surprised that a U.S. flag carrier, operating under a U.S. issued
part 121 certificate is not held to U.S. 121 standards. A U.S.
airline's ability to operate in foreign airspace is specifically based
on its U.S. certificate (which is why carriers do not need to hold Air
Carrier certificates with every country they fly into).

-Robert

Do your part... Jay Honeck Piloting 7 November 26th 07 05:38 AM
apply insulation to S-II second stage 6403149.jpg [email protected] Aviation Photos 0 April 7th 07 04:50 PM
503 part name Dean Scott Home Built 5 November 1st 06 03:01 PM
Does TSA (fingerprinting of students etc) apply to FAA training outside the USA? Thomas Borchert General Aviation 2 February 27th 05 12:09 AM
Does the 3-1 rule apply to air combat? BUFDRVR Military Aviation 15 October 30th 03 12:22 AM