More fuel for thought

Old April 15th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Default More fuel for thought

The current president also renewed the treaty that cedes oil rights to
a significant portion of the Florida Straits to Cuba, which in turn
leases their rights to the Chinese and others.

Which indicates the Republicrat (nee: statist) Congress needs a massive
enema.

I was merely pointing out some common fallicies about offshore
drilling.

Both parties are to blame for the energy mess we're in. Neither party
offers any answers.

We *need* a third political party in the U.S.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 15th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
PhilS1965

On Apr 14, 8:00 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
If I am not mistaken, current world consumption is about 85 million
barrels per day. The 4 billion barrels will last 50 days. I don't
understand the reason for celebration.

When you're addicted to something, even a tiny amount is cause for
celebration.

Whether it's 4 billion, or 400 billion barrels -- who cares? It's *ours*.

Develop those fields now, and it's *that* much less oil we have to import
from the Arabs. This is what's called a "good thing" no matter how you cut
it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

If we were to exploit every potential domestic oil resource we have,
including Bakken, the Alask Wildlife Refuge and all offshore sources
within our territorial waters, it would barely make a dent in our
consumption. This is a simple fact acknowledged by the oil companies
themselves.

People need to get over the utopian idea that there's some vast
untapped oil resource out there, but we're somehow being prevented
from using it. As we all learned in elementary school, fossil fuels
are a finite resource, and they're running out. There shouldn't even
be a political component to it, but for some reason, there is. Facts
shouldn't be this controversial.
Old April 15th 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt W. Barrow

wrote in message
Matt W. Barrow wrote:

wrote in message
On Apr 14, 5:02 pm, "Private" wrote:
I just found this on another forum, facts not verified, no commentary
made.

Huge Dakota oil pool could change energy climate debate

By Dennis T. Avery
web posted April 14, 2008

Al Gore is launching a $300 million ad campaign to support the banning
of fossil fuels. But our faith in man-made global warming will now be
tested by news that up to 400 billion barrels of light, sweet crude
oil for America's future can be pumped from under Manitoba and North
Dakota. That's more oil than Saudi Arabia and Russia put together.

The US Geological Survey begs to differ:

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1911

They say 3 to 4.3 Billion Barrels. At our current rate of consumption
-- about 20 million barrels per day -- that would last us about 6
months. Not sure where the 400 billion figure comes from.

USGS said that Northern Slope Alaska would be depleted by about the early
80's, too.

Back in the early 1900's, they aid we would run out of oil by 1920...then
1940...then 1960...then...

Yep.

Strange people those oil producers, they keep improving the recovery
technology and getting more oil out of formerly "dry" holes.

What, is there someone that believes oil forms in a big pool and all
of it gets sucked out with a big pipe?

Actually, it's a plastic straw in the shape of a rabbit.

Old April 15th 08, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt W. Barrow

wrote in message
On Apr 14, 6:10 pm, "Matt W. Barrow"
wrote:
wrote in message

USGS said that Northern Slope Alaska would be depleted by about the early
80's, too.

Back in the early 1900's, they aid we would run out of oil by 1920...then
1940...then 1960...then...

According to their press release, "USGS worked with the North Dakota
Geological Survey, a number of petroleum
industry companies..." to reach this assessment. It's difficult to
imagine that petroleum companies, of all people, would underestimate a
potential oil reserve by a factor of 100 to 1.

Ummm...maybe they don't want a price spike?

Recall they (USGS and the producers) said the same about the Alaska North
Slope back 30 some years ago.

They said the same about Oklahoma, the Continental Shelf....

But like the Energizer bunny, they keep going and going and going and
going...

Old April 15th 08, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt W. Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
If I am not mistaken, current world consumption is about 85 million
barrels per day. The 4 billion barrels will last 50 days. I don't
understand the reason for celebration.

When you're addicted to something, even a tiny amount is cause for
celebration.

Whether it's 4 billion, or 400 billion barrels -- who cares? It's *ours*.

And their estimates in the past have been off by several orders of magnitude
EVERY time.

I think it not even 80 years ago they said Texas held nothing, etc.

Develop those fields now, and it's *that* much less oil we have to import
from the Arabs. This is what's called a "good thing" no matter how you
cut it.

They want us to save pints and they won't go after billions of barrels.
Someone check those folks straightjackets.

Old April 15th 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt W. Barrow

"PhilS1965" wrote in message
If we were to exploit every potential domestic oil resource we have,
including Bakken, the Alask Wildlife Refuge and all offshore sources
within our territorial waters, it would barely make a dent in our
consumption. This is a simple fact acknowledged by the oil companies
themselves.

Cite?

People need to get over the utopian idea that there's some vast
untapped oil resource out there, but we're somehow being prevented
from using it. As we all learned in elementary school, fossil fuels
are a finite resource, and they're running out. There shouldn't even
be a political component to it, but for some reason, there is. Facts
shouldn't be this controversial.

Yeah, they've been telling us that since the 1880's and good little menchen
keep barfing it out in public.

Old April 15th 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt W. Barrow

wrote in message
On Apr 14, 6:21 pm, "Matt W. Barrow"
wrote:
wrote in message

So what's THEIR hangup?

The current president also renewed the treaty that cedes oil rights to
a significant portion of the Florida Straits to Cuba, which in turn
leases their rights to the Chinese and others.

Which indicates the Republicrat (nee: statist) Congress needs a massive
enema.

I was merely pointing out some common fallicies about offshore
drilling.

And I was emphasizing your point and expanding on it that the biggest
hindrance is Congress, not Exxon, et al.

Old April 15th 08, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt W. Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
The current president also renewed the treaty that cedes oil rights to
a significant portion of the Florida Straits to Cuba, which in turn
leases their rights to the Chinese and others.

Which indicates the Republicrat (nee: statist) Congress needs a massive
enema.

I was merely pointing out some common fallicies about offshore
drilling.

Both parties are to blame for the energy mess we're in. Neither party
offers any answers.

We *need* a third political party in the U.S.

We have one. It's the Green Party.

Old April 15th 08, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

People need to get over the utopian idea that there's some vast
untapped oil resource out there, but we're somehow being prevented
from using it.

http://tinyurl.com/54rp3x

Whoops! Another utopian idea reinforced....

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old April 15th 08, 05:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stella Starr

Private wrote:
I just found this on another forum, facts not verified, no commentary made.

Huge Dakota oil pool could change energy climate debate

Eh. I lived around there, had friends who went off to work in the North
Dakota oil fields a time or two. Every time petroleum goes through the
roof in price, someone reopens the oil shale fields, which require an
astronomical amount of work and expenditure to wring oil from the rock.

Then when the price goes down the projects are immediately dropped. It's
costly, messy and just barely worth the trouble even when the fuel's
literally black gold.

And this report is only an estimate, in location thoroughly probed for
many years...and even IT calls the invisible resources "technically
recoverable," basically admitting that it would take a good deal of
technical processing, some of it pretty speculative, to squeeze oil out
of those cold fields.

Don't take it from me: take it from the local folks.
http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/414164