Presidents What Has Been Shot At

Old February 17th 04, 01:28 PM
Bob McKellar

Cub Driver wrote:

Ford Yes ( in an impersonal way )

He was shot at by Squeaky From. That was pretty personal.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Personal and very scary, but not military. I did remember
that one ( and some others ).

Bob

Old February 17th 04, 01:29 PM
Bob McKellar

Jack Linthicum wrote:

Bob McKellar wrote in message ...
Compiling the list just for fun.

Starting with WWII era, "shot at" limited to military
situations

FDR No
Truman Sorta yes, but I will say No

You are wrong.

I certainly am. thanks for theinfo/correction!

Bob

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Personal and very scary, but not military. I did remember
that one ( and some others ).

When is the CinC not Military?

Old February 17th 04, 02:46 PM
Ward C. Douglas

wrote in message ...
Compiling the list just for fun.
(Snipped alot of interesting stuff)

Service academy graduates 0 yes 2 no

Army/AF vets 0 yes 4 no
Navy 4 yes 2 no

Conclusions: Damfino

Maybe there isn't a real pattern.

Bob McKellar

Service Academy graduates, don't you mean 2 yes (President Eisenhower - West
Point & President Carter - USNA)

And I don't understand your VETs info. Just to confirm;

Navy- Presidents, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, George Bush
Army - Presidents, Truman (NG), Eisenhower, Reagan (R)
AF - President, GW Bush (NG)

* NG & R represent original service, were Presidents Bush, Kennedy, and
Johnson USN or USNR? Kinda have a reference for the USNR, being one myself.

We're prob saying the same I'm just missing it. Also interesting;

Branches;
Army; Infantry - Eisenhower
Cavalry - Reagan (then PAO)
Artillery (Red Leg) - Truman
Navy; Aviator - Bush
Surface - Ford, Kennedy (originally INTEL)
Submariner - Carter
Supply - Nixon
Air Force; Pilot (Fighter) - GW Bush

Pretty broad range of communities.

Anybody know what LBJs designator was?

v/r
Ward

Old February 17th 04, 02:50 PM
Fred J. McCall

Cub Driver wrote:

:
:Ford Yes ( in an impersonal way )
:
:He was shot at by Squeaky From. That was pretty personal.

Well, no, he wasn't. He was AIMED AT by Squeaky Fromme. The gun was
not loaded.

--
"Rule Number One for Slayers - Don't die."
-- Buffy, the Vampire Slayer
Old February 17th 04, 02:54 PM
Fred J. McCall

"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

:"Bob McKellar" wrote in message
:
: Personal and very scary, but not military. I did remember
: that one ( and some others ).
:
:When is the CinC not Military?

When you're talking about the United States.

territory."
--G. Behn
Old February 17th 04, 03:00 PM
Bob McKellar

"Ward C. Douglas" wrote:

wrote in message ...
[...]

The yes and no referred to getting shot at. I found it interesting that neither
of the two academy guys ever got shot at. I don't think it particularly means
anything, but it is interesting.

Johnson got a direct commission while a congressman. He was riding in a plane
that was attacked. His "mission" was bogus, the decorations for it were bogus,
but the bullets were apparently real.

BTW, most posts around here with the slightest tinge of politics begin with a
conclusion and work backwards for evidence. This one was actually done without
any predisposition, motivated principally by beer and boredom last night.

Bob

Old February 17th 04, 03:09 PM
Michael P. Reed

Bob McKellar wrote in message ...
Compiling the list just for fun.

Starting with WWII era, "shot at" limited to military
situations

Continuing to the WWII era.

Prez. Shot at Major military Action

Washington Yes Yes
Adams No Yes
Jefferson No Yes
Madison No Yes
Monroe Yes No
J.Q. Adams No No
Jackson Yes Yes
Van Buren No (I think) Yes (he inherited Jacksons Seminole
War)
W.H. Harrison Yes No (see Taylor)
Tyler No (AFAIK) No
Polk No Yes
Taylor Yes No (didn't have much of a chance)
Filmore No (AFAIK) No
Pierce No (AFAIK) No
Buchanan No No
Lincoln No? Yes (Not sure if so Sac took a
potshot at him or not)
Johnson No (AFAIK) Yes (kinda)
Grant Yes Yes (see below)
Hayes Yes No (depending on if one counts the
Plains wars)
Garfield Yes No
Arthur Yes [?] No (I think served in the ACW)
Cleveland I&II No (AFAIK) No
Harrison Not sure No
McKinley Yes Yes
T. Rooselvelt Yes Yes
Taft No No (he was in PI during the
Insurrection)
Wilson No Yes
Harding No No
Coolidge No (AFAIK) No
Hoover Yes No (was a civlian but took an active
part in the defense of the siege of Tientsen during the Boxer
Rebellion)

12 Yea 16 Nay 1 IDK

5 (or 6) Yea w/war
7 Yea w/o war
7 (or 8) Nay w/war

A couple of those were inherited, but for the most part, I think it
depends upon events of the moment more than actual prior service (or
having "seen the elephant").

--
Regards,

Michael P. Reed
Old February 17th 04, 03:46 PM
Ward C. Douglas

Good stuff;

Notes;
John Adams, was quite embarrassed about his lack of "uniformed" military
experience. He, on several occasions during the Revolution, asked to leave
Congress and serve in the militia. The Massachusetts Bay government, and
especially Sam Adams always told him to keep doing what he was best at, in
Congress.

v/r
Ward
--
Ward C. Douglas
"A good economy is not worth a Constitution"

Old February 17th 04, 03:48 PM
Ward C. Douglas

Bob;

Your right about the posts. I'd be interested to see if Johnson was a
GURL.

v/r
Ward