WINGS tips?

Old April 20th 05, 05:59 PM

Default WINGS tips?

An upcoming WINGS event has instructors volunteering their time to
participants for the flying portion for free. However, the notice says
that satisfied customers will not be discouraged from tipping their
instructors.

What is considered an appropriate tip for this situation (assuming I'm
a satisfied customer when all is said and done)?

Typical instructor rates at the local schools are $40-$50/hour. They
select some of the top instructors in the area for the seminar, though.

Anyone have an opinion on this? Any instructors volunteer their time
to a WINGS program want to comment on what they would expect?

Old April 20th 05, 07:25 PM

Well, ok, I don't know who the instructors will be, but the CLAIM was
that they choose the best in the area.

Anyway, the question remains. What's considered an acceptable tip in
this situation?

Thanks.

Old April 20th 05, 07:58 PM

An upcoming WINGS event has instructors volunteering their time to
participants for the flying portion for free. However, the notice says
that satisfied customers will not be discouraged from tipping their
instructors.

What is considered an appropriate tip for this situation (assuming I'm
a satisfied customer when all is said and done)?

Typical instructor rates at the local schools are $40-$50/hour. They
select some of the top instructors in the area for the seminar, though.

Anyone have an opinion on this? Any instructors volunteer their time
to a WINGS program want to comment on what they would expect?

I volunteer my time... it is in my best interest.

I don't expect anything... and I've gotten nothing except a handshake
and a thank you. Generally the tips are about $50, for which the
pilot has received 1.5 to 3 hours of dual instruction. The more
well-heeled pilots in the Cessna Turbo 210 and Bonanzas generally tip
$100.

The tips are nice, they pay for my flight to the WINGS seminar, a
motel room and meals. So, you can see that I am not, and do not
intend to make money on the wings seminars. I just want to get the
word out about good, safe flying practices and be able to train pilots
to a higher proficiency level.

Many of the pilots who fly a WINGS with me return for instrument,
mountain or glider flying. At that time, I charge $50/hr from
"handshake hello to handshake goodby".

My schedule is generally full 4-6 weeks into the future, so I have
to remove myself from the normal flight school schedule for the

Bottom line, I lose money doing the seminars, but it is my way of
"giving back" to the aviation community. Others spent time teaching
me to fly and do search and rescue with Civil Air Patrol, so if I can
pass that information and proficiency along, I feel that I have done
my duty.

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocation!" Eberhard

--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer'at'frii.com WEB