Nov 23, 1972 Vietnam 0-2A downed

Old September 2nd 04, 11:15 PM
old hoodoo

Default Nov 23, 1972 Vietnam 0-2A downed

I am trying to find more information on the following incident:

All I know is what I have read in "Vietnam Air Losses":

"23 November 1972

0-2A 68-11065 21 TASS, 377ABW, USAF, Tan Son Nhut
1 pilot, name unknown, survived

The area around An Loc was still highly dangerous and an FAC
was shot down by an SA-7 missle at dusk on the 23rd. The pilot
escaped and was soon picked up by a US Army Helicopter."

This event may be tied up with a rescue story that unfortunately the
above paragraph does not come close to confirming. I have been
given a rescue story of an event that happened around this date in 1971
or 1972 in which an aircraft crash landed after being hit by a missle.
The story indicates that at least one USAF personnel was in the Army
helicopter who picked up the pilot) and who was wounded in the rescue
and that the pilot (or passenger?)had been grieviously wounded by the
missle that might not have exploded but did damage by impact. However,
this is as much as I have. May not even be the event above, but this, so
far is the closest I have to this near thanksgiving incident.

AL

Old September 2nd 04, 11:55 PM
RobbelothE

Try posing the question to the Historian for Air Combat Command at Langley AFB,
Virginia.

Ed
"If an enemy power is bent on conquering you, and proposed to
turn all of his resources to that end, he is at war with you;
and you -- unless you contemplate surrender -- are at war with
him." --Barry Goldwater

Historical Center Historian Writes Book On Vietnam Air War Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 May 7th 04 11:26 PM
All Vietnam Veterans Were Awarded The Vietnam Cross of Gallantry Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 May 6th 04 06:56 AM
All Vietnam Veterans Were Awarded The Vietnam Cross of Gallantry Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 February 16th 04 05:51 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 05:26 PM
All Vietnam Veterans Were Awarded The Vietnam Cross of Gallantry Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 December 1st 03 01:07 AM