Got my Instrument Rating!

Old August 20th 03, 03:23 AM
Jazzy_Pilot

Default Got my Instrument Rating!

I just wanted to share with a group of people that would understand what I'm
feeling right now, since I just received my Instrument Rating this past
Saturday morning! (8/16/03) The guys at work just don't understand and it's
hard to explain it to them, but I'm sure most of you know how I feel.

Thanks to Guy Elden Jr. for his check-ride story that I had a chance to
read, here in this newsgroup, about 2 weeks before my own check-ride. His
story made a powerful impression on me and it made me work that much harder
to be as proficient as possible during my training and on the check-ride
because you never know what to expect!

For those of you that are interested, I did all of my Instrument Training
with Sheble's Aviation in Kingman, Arizona. The instructors and staff at
Sheble's are great and they make you feel like you're a part of their
family! Travis and Randy worked very hard to teach me the things that I
would need know to pass both the Oral and Practical Exams but they also gave
me insights on what it's really like to really fly in the system.

The greatest benefit for me, in taking a 10 day Accelerated Instrument
Course, was that I didn't have to worry about work or family and I could
concentrate on the one thing that was most important for me which was
studying, flying and working hard to get my rating.

This is only my second post to this newsgroup, as I usually read the post's
and comments from this distinguished group of Instrument Pilots (and
Controllers) in my spare time. I have certainly learned a lot and in the
future perhaps I can add to the intellectual debates by adding some timely
comments from my own IFR experiences.

Jazzy Pilot

J. Ashurst

Old August 20th 03, 10:42 AM
jeff

congrats jazzy
I will be taking my commericial with Sheble's here in Las Vegas next month. I
also just passed my instrument check ride yesterday but it took me 8 months to
complete, mainly because I didnt sit down and get the written out of the way.
But I got alot of good training out of the time, we did approaches into the LA
basin when they had low ceilings, kingman, cedar city UT, St. George UT,
bullhead, and several other places.

Hey got a question, did you do part of your checkride on the sim? I heard that
the examiner over at kingman name trout recently got in some trouble for having
people do the ILS on a sim for their check ride.

Old August 20th 03, 03:28 PM
Thomas Borchert

Jazzy_Pilot,

congrats! And talk more, here.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 20th 03, 03:33 PM
Maule Driver

Congrats and welcome to the rest of the sky!

and ditto - talk more here.

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Jazzy_Pilot,

congrats! And talk more, here.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 21st 03, 02:35 AM
Jazzy_Pilot

Jeff,

Thanks for the Congrats!

Yes, I did accomplish a portion of the check ride in the Sim. I flew both an
ILS and a Localizer Approach in the Flight Sim and I flew the Kingman
VOR/DME Rwy 21 Approach in the airplane.

I hadn't heard of anyone getting in trouble for having people perform the
ILS on the Sim. Perhaps someone else can repsond to the issue of flying the
ILS Approach in the Sim, but referring to the Instrument Rating PTS Study
Guide:

"The applicant must demonstrate al of the instrument approach procedures
required by 14 CFR Part 61. AT least one instrument approach procedure must
be demonstrated in an airplane, helicopter, or powered lift as appropriate.
At least one precision and one nonprecision approach not selected for actual
flight demonstration may be performed in flight simulators or flight
training devices that meet the requirements of Appendix 1 of this Practical
Test Standard."

Good Luck on your Commercial Checkride!

Regards,
Jazzy Pilot