The smallest jet aircraft in the world - BD-5J (homebuilt)

Old March 19th 08, 11:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default The smallest jet aircraft in the world - BD-5J (homebuilt)

BD-5 - the smallest jet aircraft in the world created in the 1960s by
Jim Bede - US aircraft designer.
read more ... http://onlythemost.blogspot.com/2008...rld-bd-5j.html
Old March 19th 08, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fred the Red Shirt

On Mar 19, 7:21 am, wrote:
BD-5 - the smallest jet aircraft in the world created in the 1960s by
Jim Bede - US aircraft designer.
read more ...http://onlythemost.blogspot.com/2008...rcraft-in-worl...

It is not the smallest jet aircraft.

It is the Guiness Book record holder for smallest human
piloted jet aircraft.

However, the smallest human piloted jet aircraft ever flown
is a jet powered version of the Cri cri, described near the
bottom he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CriCri

--

FF

Old March 19th 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fred the Red Shirt

On Mar 19, 3:56 pm, (Drew Dalgleish)
wrote:
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:42:57 -0700 (PDT), Fred the Red Shirt

wrote:
On Mar 19, 7:21 am, wrote:
BD-5 - the smallest jet aircraft in the world created in the 1960s by
Jim Bede - US aircraft designer.
read more ...http://onlythemost.blogspot.com/2008...rcraft-in-worl...

It is not the smallest jet aircraft.

It is the Guiness Book record holder for smallest human
piloted jet aircraft.

However, the smallest human piloted jet aircraft ever flown
is a jet powered version of the Cri cri, described near the
bottom he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CriCri

--

FF

That's not small check out the jet-man. He just needs to work on his
landings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-66AcTo9TU

I think you are right.

Oh, and the Cri cri is the lightest human piloted jet to have flown,
the BD-5 is shorter and thus smaller by that measure. IIRC
the Juan Dart holds the record because it is a small as any
other BD-5 and lighter than the others by virtue of omitting
components needed for self-starting. The Guiness Book
people evidently do not require that it be flown in that
configuration to hold the record, which strikes me as peculiar.

--

FF

Old March 19th 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_1_]

wrote:
BD-5 - the smallest jet aircraft in the world created in the 1960s by
Jim Bede - US aircraft designer.
read more ...
http://onlythemost.blogspot.com/2008...rld-bd-5j.html

Bull****! This jet is smaller than a BD-5J.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-66AcTo9TU

Scott
Old March 20th 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

Oh, and the Cri cri is the lightest human piloted jet to have flown,
the BD-5 is shorter and thus smaller by that measure. IIRC
the Juan Dart holds the record because it is a small as any
other BD-5 and lighter than the others by virtue of omitting
components needed for self-starting. The Guiness Book
people evidently do not require that it be flown in that
configuration to hold the record, which strikes me as peculiar.

Could the record be snatched away buy putting a couple of those mini
turbines on something like a Mitchell Wing?

Tony
Old March 20th 08, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

Scott wrote:

Bull****! This jet is smaller than a BD-5J.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-66AcTo9TU

Scott

I don't know if that guy is more brave or insane but it sure looks like fun.

Tony
Old March 20th 08, 10:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_1_]

Anthony W wrote:
Scott wrote:

Bull****! This jet is smaller than a BD-5J.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-66AcTo9TU

Scott

I don't know if that guy is more brave or insane but it sure looks like
fun.

Tony

I might try it once. Actually, once is probably the only chance I'd get
Nah, I'll stick to the little Continentals...

Scott
Old March 20th 08, 01:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fred the Red Shirt

On Mar 19, 8:43 pm, Anthony W wrote:
Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

Oh, and the Cri cri is the lightest human piloted jet to have flown,
the BD-5 is shorter and thus smaller by that measure. IIRC
the Juan Dart holds the record because it is a small as any
other BD-5 and lighter than the others by virtue of omitting
components needed for self-starting. The Guiness Book
people evidently do not require that it be flown in that
configuration to hold the record, which strikes me as peculiar.

Could the record be snatched away buy putting a couple of those mini
turbines on something like a Mitchell Wing?

See elswhere in this thread for soemthign like that.

There is also a guy who flew horizontal for 30 seconds
or so in what I'd call a 'flying squirrel suit', a jump suit
with fabric webs between the arms and legs and jets
on his boots.

The guy with the cri cri coudl do it by taking the tail off.

There is no requirement that the plane actually fly,.

--

FF
Old March 20th 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

The guy with the cri cri coudl do it by taking the tail off.

There is no requirement that the plane actually fly,.

FF

The guy with the Cri Cri has something wuan lacks, integrity. I'll bet
he won't take the tail off for that reason alone.

If I were a much shorter (not to mention thiner) man, I would build a
Mitchell U2 with a 4 pack of those tiny turbines. It would take the
record and look like the space shuttle from behind. ;o)

Tony