The OSH Pool Party is just 30 days away!

Old June 25th 04, 09:55 PM
Andrew Gideon

Sam wrote:

Even if someone got
hammered at his party, flew off into the wild blue yonder, and crashed
into a tower 10 mins later I doubt he would be held liable, even in
today's world.

Hmm. Having just read an ePilot message about some family being awarded
money in court from the manufacturer of a vacuum pump that didn't fail, and
therefore had nothing to do with the crash, I fail to share your optimism
that sanity reigns.

I'd not be shocked to learn that the company that builds the wiring used in
the generators that power the area in which the party is held liable...even
if the party was held by candle light.

- Andrew

Old June 25th 04, 10:45 PM
Matt Whiting

Coors Lite wrote:

Didn't you make this same arguement last year? Let it go man!
It's a dead horse!

So your saying that good advice isn't worth repeating.

Personally in this day and age, if I was Jay and about to give out free
alcohol at a party, I would be keeping a very close eye on everyone who
was drinking.

I don't think another warning about alcohol is a dead horse.

And I wouldn't advertise it on the internet! But that is just me... :-)

Matt

Old June 26th 04, 01:55 AM
Rich S.

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Coors Lite wrote:

I don't think another warning about alcohol is a dead horse.

And I wouldn't advertise it on the internet! But that is just me... :-)

You (and the other concerned folks) should really stay home so as not to
expose yourself to the possibility of litigation.

You might also consider that, having placed yourself in the position of
offering legal and moral advice to those who may attend, you have already
involved yourself in whatever subsequent litigation could occur.

Take two 8 oz. paper cups of peach muzzleloader (my personal favorite) and
don't call in the morning.

Rich "I'm not my brother's keeper" S.

Old June 26th 04, 02:34 AM
jls

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
Sam wrote:

Even if someone got
hammered at his party, flew off into the wild blue yonder, and crashed
into a tower 10 mins later I doubt he would be held liable, even in
today's world.

Hmm. Having just read an ePilot message about some family being awarded
money in court from the manufacturer of a vacuum pump that didn't fail,

and
therefore had nothing to do with the crash, I fail to share your optimism
that sanity reigns.

I'd not be shocked to learn that the company that builds the wiring used

in
the generators that power the area in which the party is held

liable...even
if the party was held by candle light.

- Andrew

Your second example is of course a crude troll. Also see _Palsgraf vs.
Long Island Railroad._ The first example is too unless you furnish facts
and a citation to the source of those facts so they can be verified, rather
than your (probably clouded) recollection. I have never seen a judgment
awarded to an injured plaintiff when there wasn't some proof of negligence
or defective design proximately causing the injury. Maybe you can show me
my first. I won't hold my breath waiting.

As for furnishing alcohol to someone likely to cause injury to himself or
others, the dramshop laws and cases are dispositive. As much as I like the
party-giver and join in complimenting him for his contributions in this and
other newsgroups, it is risky to serve alcohol to anyone you know or have
reason to know is about to operate dangerous machinery because of the
dramshop cases and the dramshop laws. Whether the entertainment is done
for pay or not is irrelevant.

8 hours from bottle to throttle, remember? And 24 are recommended. OTOH,
the question is one of reasonableness. If someone drinks a beer and then
flies, does host who served the beer subject himself to liability? I don't
think so.

Old June 26th 04, 03:09 AM
Jim Fisher

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Just keep
in mind that there is a very good chance your group would be held liable
is some numbskull did this and then crashed.

Bullsquat.

--
Jim Fisher

Old June 26th 04, 03:48 AM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Rich S. says...

You might also consider that, having placed yourself in the position of
offering legal and moral advice to those who may attend, you have already
involved yourself in whatever subsequent litigation could occur.

Take two 8 oz. paper cups of peach muzzleloader (my personal favorite) and
don't call in the morning.

Rich "I'm not my brother's keeper" S.

Geez I was trying to keep quiet on this morality crises and you had to go and
mention Muzzleloader. I was able to avoid litigation at Pville when Unka Bob
died from an overdose of Muzzleloader. Fortunately for me and I suppose everyone
else present and shortly after his memorial service, Unka Bob rose from the dead
and saved us all .Alleluja. Good thing he did too because who was gonna fly his
plane home the next day??
I will have Peach Muzzleloader at Oshkosh again this year for those adults who
are not flying ,walking,standing ,speaking or in any way engaged in any activity
that might be construed as to needing moral advice before sipping .
I now return to lurk mode to prepare for Oshkosh.

See ya
Chuck (Muzzleloader ??)S

Old June 26th 04, 04:21 AM
Jay Honeck

As much as I like the
party-giver and join in complimenting him for his contributions in this

and
other newsgroups, it is risky to serve alcohol to anyone you know or have
reason to know is about to operate dangerous machinery because of the
dramshop cases and the dramshop laws. Whether the entertainment is done
for pay or not is irrelevant.

I appreciate the sentiment, but, alas, I don't care to live in a world where
I can't serve my friends beer at pool side.

I also refuse to live in a world where I cannot trust my fellow pilots with
my $30K, full sized van. And no, I don't make them produce a drivers
license, and sign a waiver, nor do I check to make sure that they have
insurance. I toss 'em the keys, give 'em a map, and bid them adieu,
liability be damned.

If you have flown in to my hotel, that's proof enough to me that you are an
honorable, decent person. No one has proven me wrong yet.

People live up to your expectations.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 26th 04, 04:22 AM
Jay Honeck

Take two 8 oz. paper cups of peach muzzleloader (my personal favorite) and
don't call in the morning.

Rich "I'm not my brother's keeper" S.

Rich, I'm buying the first round!

;-)

You comin' to OSH?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 26th 04, 04:28 AM
Richard Lamb

Jay Honeck wrote:

[...]

Oh man. Jay, can I move to your world?
Mine is starting to suck with all the law suits happy people around
here.

Richard Lamb
Old June 26th 04, 04:30 AM
Jay Honeck

Oh man. Jay, can I move to your world?
Mine is starting to suck with all the law suits happy people around
here.

Come to Iowa, Richard.

America still exists here.
--