Connecting hoses to pitot/static tubes

Old October 22nd 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ernest Christley

Default Connecting hoses to pitot/static tubes

What is the best way to secure plastic tubing to aluminum pitot tubes.
The plastic hose will slide over the aluminum tube, though it requires
quite a bit of push to get more than 1/2". Would a couple of spring
clamps work, or is something more significant called for?
Old October 22nd 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Ernest Christley wrote:
What is the best way to secure plastic tubing to aluminum pitot tubes.
The plastic hose will slide over the aluminum tube, though it requires
quite a bit of push to get more than 1/2". Would a couple of spring
clamps work, or is something more significant called for?

Hi,
Use a hair drier to warm the plastic tube and it will slide more
easily. While the tube is still warm use a small tie wrap. Voilą!
Regards,
S6

Old October 22nd 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Daniels

Anything that might make the plastic tube "bunch up" so as to create a leak
path is a bad idea. Wire and clamps seem to do this. The solution is
"castrating rings" (No kidding).
See: http://www.agri-pro.com/Castrate.html#rings

Roll one of these over the plastic tube after you slip it over the aluminum
tube to get an air tight fit.

Bill Daniels

.. .

Old October 22nd 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 02:22:19 GMT, Ernest Christley wrote:

What is the best way to secure plastic tubing to aluminum pitot tubes.
The plastic hose will slide over the aluminum tube, though it requires
quite a bit of push to get more than 1/2". Would a couple of spring
clamps work, or is something more significant called for?

I put a twist of safety wire around it....

Ron Wanttaja
Old October 22nd 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

What is the best way to secure plastic tubing to aluminum pitot tubes.
The plastic hose will slide over the aluminum tube, though it requires
quite a bit of push to get more than 1/2". Would a couple of spring
clamps work, or is something more significant called for?

I put a twist of safety wire around it....

Do you go around it twice before twisting, to avoid "bunching" ?
--
Jim in NC
Old October 22nd 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 23:24:01 -0400, "Morgans" wrote:

What is the best way to secure plastic tubing to aluminum pitot tubes.
The plastic hose will slide over the aluminum tube, though it requires
quite a bit of push to get more than 1/2". Would a couple of spring
clamps work, or is something more significant called for?

I put a twist of safety wire around it....

Do you go around it twice before twisting, to avoid "bunching" ?

"You only go around once in life...."

....and so do my pitot/static safety wires. Maybe that explains my 150 knot
cruise. :-)

Ron Wanttaja
Old October 22nd 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote

...and so do my pitot/static safety wires. Maybe that explains my 150 knot
cruise. :-)

*********************************

Chuckle out loud

Perhaps you got one of those wires twisted tooo tightly in the wrong place.
Perhaps around your "truth tube", whatever that is!

(get your mind out of the gutter-it was not meant "that" way!)
--
Jim in NC

Old October 22nd 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Natalie

Ron Wanttaja wrote:
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 02:22:19 GMT, Ernest Christley wrote:

What is the best way to secure plastic tubing to aluminum pitot tubes.
The plastic hose will slide over the aluminum tube, though it requires
quite a bit of push to get more than 1/2". Would a couple of spring
clamps work, or is something more significant called for?

I put a twist of safety wire around it....

I've got these non reusable clamps that I have on my soda lines
(which are under pressure) in my kitchen. You have to have a little
tool (looks like a pair of end nippers) to squeeze them on.
Old October 23rd 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

wrote:

What is the best way to secure plastic tubing to aluminum pitot tubes.
The plastic hose will slide over the aluminum tube, though it
requires quite a bit of push to get more than 1/2". Would a couple
of spring clamps work, or is something more significant called for?

I put a twist of safety wire around it....

I've got these non reusable clamps that I have on my soda lines
(which are under pressure) in my kitchen. You have to have a little
tool (looks like a pair of end nippers) to squeeze them on.

I hope your soda lines are of the type which is amenable with Scots
whisky--??
Old October 23rd 06, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Natalie

jerry wass wrote:

I hope your soda lines are of the type which is amenable with Scots
whisky--??

Put fizzy stuff in the whiskey? Are you daft.
It does dispense tonic for the gin however.