Kinda sad

Old April 26th 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Kinda sad

http://www.airventure.org/2008/news/...ffordable.html
Old April 27th 08, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Apr 26, 7:13*pm, " wrote:
http://www.airventure.org/2008/news/...ffordable.html

Yeah real sad....but the tail has been waggin' the dog for a long time
now.
Old April 27th 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Apr 27, 12:05 am, "Mike Isaksen" wrote:
wrote:
http://www.airventure.org/2008/news/...ffordable.html

wrote ...
Yeah real sad....but the tail has been waggin' the dog for a long
time now.

Not sure I get what you guys are implying ?!?

Perhaps it could be that EAA was founded to focus on the HOMEBUILDER
not the "order a kit and have a professional shop build your $500,000
pressurized monster for you"

The EAA seems to have forgotten what the E stands for.

It was always supposed to be about the joy of flight / affordable
aircraft. It seem shocking that they now have to go searching for
affordable airplanes

Oh Well its the best option we've got right now, The AOPA caters to
the money crowd and theres not really anybody else to go to bat for
the little guy right now

The EAA does try but somewhere along the way they changed from grass
roots organization to big business. Oshkosh brings in a lot of money
and it too tempting to leave on the table and get back to your roots

Later

Larry

Old April 27th 08, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

cavelamb himself wrote:
Nowdays it's supposed to be Easy aircraft assoc.

Which ones are easy? The ones that take less than 10 years to build?

Which ones are hard? The ones that never get built?
Old April 28th 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Jim Logajan wrote:
cavelamb himself wrote:

Nowdays it's supposed to be Easy aircraft assoc.

Which ones are easy? The ones that take less than 10 years to build?

Which ones are hard? The ones that never get built?

Well, by inferance, the ones that come with all the parts already made.

Richard
Old April 28th 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Ok so I took a bit of poetic license But you have to admit the
majority of the displays at Oshkosh are for airplanes costing over
$100,000 Hell I'm building a 601XL from a kit, and the Factory built
LSA version from AMD is around $80,000

It's impossible to bring the recreational discretionary income dollars
to the sport with entry costs that high, and thus we have no next
generation coming up in aviation

For reference the typical toys Americans spend their Recreational
Discretionary dollars are Boats ( saw really nice one at Bass Pro a
couple of weeks ago for less then $30,000. Campers / Trailers Same or
lower price range Motorcycles, classic cars, snow mobiles the list
goes on.....

Its just very difficult to get new people into aviation and to get the
sales up enough to lower costs with an entry price of $80,000

Yes I know UL types cost less but these are perceived by the general
public as the domain of the daredevil and don't really help up get new
blood into the sport. Not everybody is gonna build their own either

You wanna see an explosion in sales Gimme a $40,000 RTF enclosed
cabin metal 100 MPH airplane and I'll show you the revolution

Its just my opinion i would be happy to be wrong if it would mean more
people would get exposed to flying

Later

Larry

On Apr 27, 5:58 pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
wrote:
Perhaps it could be that EAA was founded to focus on the HOMEBUILDER
not the "order a kit and have a professional shop build your $500,000
pressurized monster for you"

Seriously, what percentage of finished experimentals fall into that
category?

It was always supposed to be about the joy of flight / affordable
aircraft. It seem shocking that they now have to go searching for
affordable airplanes

At about what price point would you define "afforable aircraft?"

Old April 28th 08, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

cavelamb himself wrote:
Jim Logajan wrote:
cavelamb himself wrote:

Nowdays it's supposed to be Easy aircraft assoc.

Which ones are easy? The ones that take less than 10 years to build?

Which ones are hard? The ones that never get built?

Well, by inferance, the ones that come with all the parts already made.

That includes all E-LSAs - by definition.

I should really get back on point - which is why the EAA is being taken to
task for a situation not of its making?

Kinda OT... but has some aviation content ;) Bertie the Bunyip[_22_] Piloting 1 January 20th 08 02:28 PM
Kinda sad... Jay Honeck Piloting 25 February 27th 06 09:27 PM
Kinda funny... Ditch Military Aviation 4 July 12th 03 07:23 AM