Ray Galloway (P1)

Old July 16th 18, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Ray Galloway (P1)

Sorry to report my dear friend Ray Galloway (papa one) checked out (peacefully) last night. I talked with him a couple of days ago. He said he was "ready", but it is still hard on his friends and family. Ed Byars
Old July 16th 18, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sorry to hear that, Ed. I think about him alot. RIP Ray. How old was he? Karen Geisinger
Old July 16th 18, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 6:39:11 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Sorry to report my dear friend Ray Galloway (papa one) checked out (peacefully) last night. I talked with him a couple of days ago. He said he was "ready", but it is still hard on his friends and family. Ed Byars

Thought of P1 just this morning and wondered how he and Miss Lillian were doing. Ray was a huge influence on me when I first started flying. He encouraged and mentored a lot of us (at the time) young pilots in the NCSA in x-country and racing. Too many wonderful P1 memories and stories to tell here. We will share them and remember Ray in the cockpit, in hangars, and around the fire for as long as we last.

Good finish, P1.
Old July 16th 18, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 7:39:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Sorry to report my dear friend Ray Galloway (papa one) checked out (peacefully) last night. I talked with him a couple of days ago. He said he was "ready", but it is still hard on his friends and family. Ed Byars

Time for a little of that cowboy reincarnation then!

Ray was wonderful & I am happy to have known him.

Evan Ludeman / T8
Old July 16th 18, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen[_2_]

John Farrington crewed for Ray for many contests. When John took me to my first contest, Ray was the CD. All three of us spent a lot of time together that contest and Ray made it very special. I was lucky enough to know Ray and Miss Lillian down in Seminole-Lake when they would come down for the Seniors where Ray provided the weather. A true southern gentleman who never met a stranger, always willing to encourage and mentor new XC pilots and contests felt like home when the pilots would say at the beginning of the meeting
“Moorrrrnnning Ray”. Our world is a little sadder today.
Rich
ZO
Old July 16th 18, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Sad news. Very much enjoyed flying the 2011 Standard Nationals with Ray as CD. Previously, had a lot of fun comparing notes on the LS8 when we both owned that ship.

P3
Old July 16th 18, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF

I had the pleasure of working with Ray as his weatherman at Perry for several years. A true gentleman, with a wicked keen dry sense of humor. I'm a better person for having known, and worked with Ray. I thoroughly enjoyed the time spent working with him, he made it fun.

Scott Fletcher

Old July 16th 18, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Lots of memories of Ray going way back. He was, indeed, a true Southern gentleman with a dry sense of humor that he exercised often to general hilarity.

A few moments of comedy were unintentional, however, as when he showed up to CD New Castle one year with a new panel-mounted "shotgun" mic aimed (sort of) at his face. He was sniffing on a marginal day early in the contest and trying to radio down his orders to the assembled pilots on the grid. We couldn't hear much besides his audio vario, which--with robust volume--may have prevented him from hearing us. And, unlike with handheld or boom mics, there wasn't much he could do to get closer to the mic. As the stress rose in the air and on the ground, I'm not sure who was more frustrated, but we certainly had more fun laughing about it than he did.

RIP, Ray.

Chip Bearden
Old July 17th 18, 01:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sad news indeed. I remember Ray well from many Seniors contests in years past
when he was the weatherman.

He had the ability to tell more entertaining stories than most

He will be missed

AE

Old July 17th 18, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Papa[_2_]

On Tuesday, 17 July 2018 08:08:53 UTC-4, wrote:
Sad news indeed. I remember Ray well from many Seniors contests in years past
when he was the weatherman.

He had the ability to tell more entertaining stories than most

He will be missed

AE

Less than a week ago, talking about the marvellous NC accent, I was imitating his pre-landing radio call. We used to ask him if he could complete his advisory before he finished the circuit. "This is Paaapppaa Onnnee, on a raagghhtt haand downnnwinndd..."

And his landout in a pasture with a hostile owner, where Miss Lillian, who had taken his trailer over for the retrieve, remarked when called to speak with the Deputy, 'If I'd a known I was going to meet someone, I'd a put my face on'

I'm sure there will be a few toasts to P! at the Seminole Sunday post-flight debriefings...