RAF Eurofighter at Warton

Old January 25th 04, 07:40 PM
Chris Whitfield

Default RAF Eurofighter at Warton

Has the RAF started operating the Eurofighter at Warton yet? Any photos
available?

Old January 25th 04, 08:29 PM
Ian

At a rough guess you saw the Politics Show on tele this afternoon?
Don't think they're 'operational' just yet, but not too far off (according
to AFM etc)

Old January 25th 04, 10:25 PM
John Cook

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 20:29:01 -0000, "Ian" wrote:

At a rough guess you saw the Politics Show on tele this afternoon?
Don't think they're 'operational' just yet, but not too far off (according
to AFM etc)

"Chris Whitfield" wrote in message
Has the RAF started operating the Eurofighter at Warton yet? Any photos
available?

Its a much more difficult question than you realise!!!.:-), Heres what
I think I know!? (Anyone who knows any better, then please tell me)

BAE have built around 16 T1's Typhoons.

The RAF have evaluated the first production aircraft under the
Operational Suitability Assesment.

Case White... is in progress (the handover of Typhoon to the RAF
service)

Warton is at present training 16 pilots for the Operational
Evaluation Unit '17sqn' (There about half way through the 16
pilots).

The aircraft should have been delivered there (or are due now).

The Operational Evaluation Unit '17sqn' work should take 18 months

The Operation Conversion Unit '29sqn' ( converting Tornado/Jaguar
crew) will initially start at Warton and move to Coningsby, starting
March 2004 when the Armourers are due to start.

Now the confusing bit - officially the Typhoon is 'in service', the
aircraft programme was originally deem to be useful after delivery,
but the Government has moved the goalPosts!!, they have now decreed
that the aircraft is only 'useful' when it has entered squadron
service, this looks like another 12 month delay on paper, but is in
fact just a changed definition.

Perhaps its a device to justify cuts later on!!, cynical old me eh!.

Now who actually has the aircraft now is really confusing, it could
be BAE System leasing them to the RAF, it could be the RAF loaning
them to BAE.

So in answer to your original question Yes the RAF have operated the
Typhoon in the OSA, they should now just be Operating them as part
of the OEU, but have yet to start the OCU..

Phew!! Simple enough...

Cheers

John Cook

Any spelling mistakes/grammatic errors are there purely to annoy. All
opinions are mine, not TAFE's however much they beg me for them.

Email Address :-
Spam trap - please remove (trousers) to email me
Eurofighter Website :-
http://www.eurofighter-typhoon.co.uk
Old January 26th 04, 02:15 PM
Grantland

John Cook wrote:

Perhaps its a device to justify cuts later on!!, cynical old me eh!.

The fools have blown the Budget on a foolish adventure for the fool
B00$hhhhhh. Expect major cuts on heavy systems. They can't afford
the Typhoon, even sans gun. Stupid, feckless idiots.

Grantland

Old January 27th 04, 09:18 PM
Ian

"John Cook" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 20:29:01 -0000, "Ian" wrote:

At a rough guess you saw the Politics Show on tele this afternoon?
Don't think they're 'operational' just yet, but not too far off

(according
to AFM etc)

"Chris Whitfield" wrote in message
Has the RAF started operating the Eurofighter at Warton yet? Any photos
available?

Its a much more difficult question than you realise!!!.:-), Heres what
I think I know!? (Anyone who knows any better, then please tell me)

BAE have built around 16 T1's Typhoons.

Well heres a fundamental mistake - there aren't 16 T1s completed yet (unless
they're hidden in another hangar on site.....

Old January 27th 04, 09:49 PM
Ian

"John Cook" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:18:56 -0000, "Ian" wrote:

"John Cook" wrote in message
.. .

BAE have built around 16 T1's Typhoons.

Well heres a fundamental mistake - there aren't 16 T1s completed yet

(unless
they're hidden in another hangar on site.....

I did this from memory/extrapolation rather than a definite source,
hence the 'around 16' figure, as of Nov 2003 there was supposed to
be 12 or 13 completed, I just added a couple in the couple of months
since!!.

How many are there now (If you can tell me without getting shot).

Less than 8 would be disappointing...:-)

Depends if you count the development jets. Not sure how many are actually
on the flight programme at the minute because of the different activities
they're unergoing (e.g. ground training etc)

Old February 2nd 04, 10:52 AM
John Cook

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:49:38 -0000, "Ian" wrote:

"John Cook" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:18:56 -0000, "Ian" wrote:

"John Cook" wrote in message
.. .

BAE have built around 16 T1's Typhoons.

Well heres a fundamental mistake - there aren't 16 T1s completed yet

(unless
they're hidden in another hangar on site.....

I did this from memory/extrapolation rather than a definite source,
hence the 'around 16' figure, as of Nov 2003 there was supposed to
be 12 or 13 completed, I just added a couple in the couple of months
since!!.

How many are there now (If you can tell me without getting shot).

Less than 8 would be disappointing...:-)

Depends if you count the development jets. Not sure how many are actually
on the flight programme at the minute because of the different activities
they're unergoing (e.g. ground training etc)

Found this in hansard..
"26 Jan 2004 : Column 66W

20. Mr. Llwyd: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what the unit
cost is of each Eurofighter aircraft; when it is expected that it will
be brought into service; and if he will make a statement. [150173]

Mr. Ingram: The Unit Production Cost of a Typhoon aircraft as
published in Major Project Report 2003 is £56.8 million. As my right
hon. Friend the Secretary of State for Defence announced in his
written statement on 30 June, Eurofighter Typhoon achieved Type
Acceptance on that day triggering the process of bringing the aircraft
into service with the RAF. Two aircraft have been accepted off
contract and RAF pilot training and operational evaluation activities
have begun. Operational Employment is due to be achieved in the second
half of the decade. "

They must be storing them somewhere!!!

Cheers