Irretating strobes noise

Old December 19th 05, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Irretating strobes noise

I am getting bleed through on my intercom when my strobes are on.

Has anyone else had to deal with this? (Drives my wife nuts at night)

Old December 19th 05, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

John Doe wrote:
I am getting bleed through on my intercom when my strobes are on.

Has anyone else had to deal with this? (Drives my wife nuts at night)

Not a huge problem to overcome, but it can be a persnickity one...

Make sure the strobe power supply is properly grounded (if it has a
central supply) Also make sure that only one end of the shield is
grounded if it uses shielded wire.

Check to see that the strobe wiring is kept as far from the radio
wiring as possible and that if it has to cross some, make the cross as
close to a right angle as possible.

If it's the type system with the power supplies at the stobes, make
sure the grounds are good.

If none of this solves the problem, then you are going to have to start
digging into the radio/intercom wiring next, and that can get
complicated real quick.

You might also check out Jim Weir's pages over at www.rst.com (?) for
more suggestions if you are still having problems. I'm not sure what
all he has up over there these days, but he is a wealth of info on
radios and intercoms.

Craig C.

Old December 19th 05, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

www.rstengineering.com

The Rat Shlock "alternator whine filters" are a great help on either the
battery supply of either the intercom OR the strobe power supply. Try both
and keep the one that attenuates the whine the best.

Jim

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old December 20th 05, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

FWEEP - FWEEP - FWEEP.

Gawd, one of our trainers does this and it makes me nutty.

http://www.unconventional-wisdom.org
Old December 20th 05, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 16:10:53 GMT, "John Doe" wrote:

I am getting bleed through on my intercom when my strobes are on.

Has anyone else had to deal with this? (Drives my wife nuts at night)

What kind of noise?

I had a high-pitched noise that increased in intensity and then almost (or
completely) went away, with a perior of a few seconds, and you a Whelen
unit.

It appeared and worsened over the years.

The problem was a bad electrolytic capacitor inside the power supply. Of
course, the power supply was too old for Whelen to service it, so we
drilled out the rivets; replaced the power supply; and reriveted the box
closed. It worked fine for another five years, and is now starting to make
the same sound again. Probably another capacitor.

Cost was about $2.98 for the capacitor and about $0.30 for rivets. It took
about thirty minutes to make the mod (but longer to get the information
g).

Old December 20th 05, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jimbob wrote:
FWEEP - FWEEP - FWEEP.

Gawd, one of our trainers does this and it makes me nutty.

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 16:10:53 GMT, "John Doe" wrote:

I am getting bleed through on my intercom when my strobes are on.

Has anyone else had to deal with this? (Drives my wife nuts at night)

Jim

http://www.unconventional-wisdom.org

I know someone (Iwon't say it was me) that added a choke (inductance)
to the power line into the power supply in the tail of their Archer and
then added a large capacitor to ground on the power supply side. These
parts purchased at Radio S cured the problem.

Chuck

Old December 22nd 05, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I had to add two capacitors to my Aeroflash power supply to stop the
squelch breaks in the com radio. It has worked fine for the last 10
years since this undocumented modification. What mod??? not me,
NEVER!!