Winter Care

Old December 4th 15, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

Default Winter Care

I've heard of guys in colder climates putting a small heater in the trailer of their fiberglass glider during the winter.

What are everyone's thoughts on that? Is it necessary?

I did that the first year I owned my sailplane. Had on a timer to run only at night. It was probably a waste of power as I opened the hatch in the morning and could not tell a bit of temperature differnece in there. Last few years I just stake down a 20'x40' tarp over the trailer to keep the snow off it and out of the air vents. This seems to work fine with no noticeable moisture inside.

Old December 4th 15, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lynn

On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 2:23:50 PM UTC-8, Ron Gleason wrote:
For many or most of us, winter is here and the gliders are parked for a number of months. I have removed every battery from the cockpit, put mouse poison in the trailer and taken out anything that should not freeze (waxes, plexi-glass cleaners etc).

What is the best way store glider batteries, specifically LiPO4's? Just plug them in the charger? Does it matter if they are in the house or in a cold garage?

What the PDA's and PNA's? Again just keep them on the charger in the warm house?

Any other items folks do to bundle up their gliders?

Ron Gleason

I have an aluminum Schreder trailer (30' box length), and when parked for the winter, cover the entire trailer top with quilted moving blankets then two large (12' x 16')tarps. Fasten tarps with bungies across the trailer bottom side to side. The trailer is tipped nose high and tarps overlapped about 12" so no water infiltrates under the covering. Tarps extend beyond both trailer ends 6". Have a thermoset equipped heater set on low (750 watt setting)with tripping at about 45 degrees and have had zero condensation. Probably could dispense with the heater and just use a fan. All openings except for louvers have been sealed so no rodent problem has occurred. This is located in western Washington state with plenty of winter rain and some snow.
Old December 4th 15, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

Any other items folks do to bundle up their gliders?

Ron Gleason

What a great thread. Some new ideas! I'm gonna plant some mint around the gear legs of the ones tied out.....even in drought years, the dew can help it get going, and I like it. Some climates would have to think about mint's expanding invasive nature. Much more persistent than dryer sheets, but I need to be more regular about adding those to the evening tiedown protocol.

I've been using old-fashioned Victor products, outside, which makes a few customers squeamish. And please, no catch and release. I've been accused of being soft-hearted, but not in this regard.

For decades, the hangar kitty patrolled inside and outside under the trailer row. Despite his occasional proof-of-work-ethic trophies, He was worth his weight in kibble many times over. But I don't recommend packing one inside a trailer for the winter. RIP, Blackie.
Old December 4th 15, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

A "bilge heater" or two from any boat supply is a good idea. it works like a 40 watt bulb but doesn't break or burn out. It's about $50 from any boat supply store -- or Bruno Vasse's Iboats.com. At night, everything cools and condensation forms, especially on cold metal parts. Those then rust. Inside a hangar can be worse than outdoors, as the cold concrete slab encourages the cold on humid early spring days, and the roof means your solar vent doesn't work. I just put two inside the trailer.

John Cochrane
Old December 5th 15, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HGXC[_4_]

On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 5:23:50 PM UTC-5, Ron Gleason wrote:
For many or most of us, winter is here and the gliders are parked for a number of months. I have removed every battery from the cockpit, put mouse poison in the trailer and taken out anything that should not freeze (waxes, plexi-glass cleaners etc).

What is the best way store glider batteries, specifically LiPO4's? Just plug them in the charger? Does it matter if they are in the house or in a cold garage?

What the PDA's and PNA's? Again just keep them on the charger in the warm house?

Any other items folks do to bundle up their gliders?

Ron Gleason

Just put my Ventus away. I store it in a hanger at a not so local airport. I had the annual just before and everything is waxed and looking good. I have been told by some to remove my instruments because the LED lights will freeze. They haven't froze before....My toyota has them and I keep that car outside during the winter so do I really need to go thru the agony of removing instruments?

Dennis
Old December 5th 15, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Believe the paranoia is at least partially due to the digital displays on Terra -D series radios and transponders, which have failed after not being heated up for a while. Something to do with the adhesive used on the back of the LCD?

Many times I have used electronic devices after storage at well below freezing for extended periods. Anything from voltmeters and tablet PCs to digital audio amplifiers and mixing consoles. The cables for all that crap might not lie flat when removed from their cases, but otherwise no problems.
Jim

Old December 14th 15, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

My canopy gas strut failed hibernation last
winter after a couple weeks of - 30C as did
another owner's.

Took a few months to get a replacement
and a few days to squeeze it down enough
to get in.

In the fervent hope of not having to repeat
too soon, I picked up a 25W terrarium
heater wire from the local pet store, taped
it around some empty cans, tucked into
duct insulation to avoid hot spots on
expensive composite and put under panel
just behind rudder pedal.

Ran the wire out the canopy opening,
connected to extension cord and
alternated between pushing in the fuse
and pulling the extension cord. There's an
opening for the wire in the bottom of the
trailer when you pull out a rubber plug.
Reminder to self to close hole with plug if
possible, or steel wool if not. Neighbors'
cats patrol the garage in any case. No
signs of rodents, but can't underestimate
the attractiveness of a warm place with
ample nesting material.

Lots of insulation put around front cockpit:
life jackets, cushions, sleeping bag which
won't be otherwise needed until spring.

I left the heater wire on inside the house
overnight. You can hold it in your hand
comfortably.

Old December 14th 15, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I would suggest, rather than plugging and unplugging an extension cord,
to simply use a lamp timer.

For replacing those canopy struts, when the strut for my LAK-17a failed,
I contacted the manufacturer (of the glider) and got the part number for
the strut. After a bit of research, I found that it was the same strut
as used on a particular make and model of German car. I was able to
purchase one at a local auto parts store. I had to replace the socket
ends of the strut with the rod ends from the old unit, but that was not
difficult. This is probably not legal for a certificated glider, but
mine is experimental.

--
Dan, 5J

Gelcoat care Nick Kennedy Soaring 16 November 2nd 13 02:45 PM
Canopy Care Guy[_7_] Soaring 15 March 25th 10 04:50 AM
Any ex-zoomies out there care to comment? Stewart Kissel Soaring 2 April 14th 05 06:02 PM
VA Health Care Steve Mellenthin Military Aviation 0 August 19th 04 05:45 PM
New Paint Care Suggestions Nathan Young Owning 11 July 11th 04 11:24 PM