Flying a Cambridge 302 with WinPilot Pro

Old July 2nd 04, 07:08 AM
Ted Wagner

Default Flying a Cambridge 302 with WinPilot Pro

I'll be using this combination for the first time this weekend. If anyone
has an suggestions on how to set tasks (on the ground and in the air) and
how best to use the 302 in flight (e.g., what "page" to leave it on most of
the time) I'd love to hear your comments.

Advance thanks,

-ted

Old July 2nd 04, 02:41 PM
John Galloway

At 06:24 02 July 2004, Ted Wagner wrote:

and
how best to use the 302 in flight (e.g., what 'page'
to leave it on most of
the time) I'd love to hear your comments.

Advance thanks,

-ted

Leave the 302 on the home page - try to avoid leaving
it on the altitude setting page or when you think you
are setting the volume you will be losing your correct
altimeter setting - a poor feature and easily done.

Old July 2nd 04, 02:49 PM
Andy Durbin

"Ted Wagner" wrote in message news:JZ6Fc.28800$6r1.16424@fed1read06...
I'll be using this combination for the first time this weekend. If anyone
has an suggestions on how to set tasks (on the ground and in the air) and
how best to use the 302 in flight (e.g., what "page" to leave it on most of
the time) I'd love to hear your comments.

Advance thanks,

-ted

Set the 302 altimeter, the default power up page, then set it page 1
where the knob controls the vario volume. Do ballast, bugs and MC
setting from the PDA and you never need to change the 302 page in
flight. Except perhaps for an altimeter adjustment before starting
final glide. If you don't do it this way there is a high risk you will
accidentally mis-set the 302 altimeter or MC by being on the wrong
page when attemting to adjust the volume.

The factory recommended audio and pointer time constants work well.

Andy
Old July 2nd 04, 07:14 PM
Herbert Kilian

"Ted Wagner" wrote in message news:JZ6Fc.28800$6r1.16424@fed1read06...
I'll be using this combination for the first time this weekend. If anyone
has an suggestions on how to set tasks (on the ground and in the air) and
how best to use the 302 in flight (e.g., what "page" to leave it on most of
the time) I'd love to hear your comments.

Advance thanks,

-ted

Ted:
Have been using the same combination for the last 3 years.
1. Upon turning on power (which starts the 302) it boots up and
displays the page where you enter your field elevation by turning the
knob. Double click on the knob and the 302 shows the ‘normal' page
with altimeter, average climb and MC setting (that's the page you fly
with). If you click once you'll get to the MC setting and by turning
the knob you go to whatever MC setting you want to start flying with
(I use 1.5). Double click again to get to the standard page.
2. I do the above with the IPAQ connected to the 302 and with power
turned on. I then start WinPilot Pro and it defaults to showing the
altimeter setting page which will show the altitude you just entered
into the 302, click OK. The map page appears and you adjust to the
zoom level you want to start flying with.
3. Using the TASK function in WinPilot (which I programmed on one of
the buttons of the IPAQ) I choose my task and make sure the starting
point is selected. Set your start and turn point radii or gate width
under "Rules" in WinPilot. If you want to declare that task to the
302, there's a button called "To 302" in the WinPilot Menu.
Have fun, try the ‘Climb Maximizer' which I think is helpful in
centering thermals and showing the lift-over-time diagram for the
thermal you are in. If you fly showing the map make sure you edit
your elevations under ‘Settings 2' in WinPilot to only show a white
map with rivers, roads etc. Color in that map is very hard to read in
sunlight. I use 1 for Floor Level and -1 for Color Shift here in the
flatlands of IL.
Herb, J7