Trial by newspaper

Old December 14th 05, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

Default Trial by newspaper

I feel sorry for the SW pilots who went through the fence at Midway
last week. Now every edition of the local newspapers runs articles by
lawyers and journalists second-guessing every decision made on a
difficult approach - quartering tail wind, marginal visibility, fair
braking, short runway.

I'd sure hate to have my every flying decision subjected to this kind
of scrutiny.

Old December 14th 05, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I feel sorry for the SW pilots who went through the fence at Midway
last week. Now every edition of the local newspapers runs articles by
lawyers and journalists second-guessing every decision made on a
difficult approach - quartering tail wind, marginal visibility, fair
braking, short runway.

I'd sure hate to have my every flying decision subjected to this kind
of scrutiny.

One of the first things you learn as a professional pilot is that everything
you do with an airplane is subject to scrutiny. Some of it is good, some
bad.
The scrutiny you get from lawyers after a crash is seldom related to the
actual facts involved in the crash.
From the moment of impact, you have lawyers on both sides of the issue
arguing that you either did the right thing, or that you did the wrong
thing. Many times....many, many times, the actual truth is never known and
lawyer who presents the most believable argument and proves to be the better
salesman wins.
The pilot seldom wins.
I was an airshow pilot for many years. There was never a doubt in my mind
that had I somehow suffered a catastrophic structural failure in my aircraft
that resulted in my burying myself in a hole fifteen feet deep in the middle
of an airfield, before the fire was out and what was left of my body removed
from the wreckage, there would have been a hundred lawyers standing at the
edge of the hole looking down and discussing what it was I did wrong to
cause the accident; questioning every onlooker trying desperately to find
someone who could claim they had been injured by my crash, and how what I
did wrong could be turned into income .
Dudley Henriques

Old December 14th 05, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

Try and explain that to the parents of the boy who got killed.

Old December 14th 05, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

Andrew;
No one knows which post you are answering if you don't reference in some
way.
In this case, you're either nailing me with this, or the initial post.
Dudley Henriques

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
ups.com...

Try and explain that to the parents of the boy who got killed.

Old December 14th 05, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

On 12/14/2005 07:55, Dudley Henriques wrote:

Andrew;
No one knows which post you are answering if you don't reference in some
way.
In this case, you're either nailing me with this, or the initial post.
Dudley Henriques

Andrew was responding to Paul, which is clearly visible when viewing
the thread. If you aren't using a news reader which supports viewing
threads, perhaps you should switch. There are lots of free ones that
do a fine job.

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
ups.com...

Try and explain that to the parents of the boy who got killed.

Sacramento, CA
Old December 14th 05, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

I'm using Outlook Express 6.0 and every thread on every newsgroup I'm using
is showing normally, including your post which shows a pickup reference
properly.
Andrew's post shows up with a blank screen and a single sentence with no
pickup reference.
If you are seeing a pickup reference, the problem might be somewhere other
than my news reader.
There is one anomaly however. The OP has cross posted to "owning" as well as
"piloting". I'm answering to "piloting" only, and have defaulted through
"owning" as the other group won't rectify. Perhaps that is the issue.
Dudley Henriques

Old December 14th 05, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

On 12/14/2005 08:13, Dudley Henriques wrote:

I'm using Outlook Express 6.0 and every thread on every newsgroup I'm using
is showing normally, including your post which shows a pickup reference
properly.
Andrew's post shows up with a blank screen and a single sentence with no
pickup reference.
If you are seeing a pickup reference, the problem might be somewhere other
than my news reader.
There is one anomaly however. The OP has cross posted to "owning" as well as
"piloting". I'm answering to "piloting" only, and have defaulted through
"owning" as the other group won't rectify. Perhaps that is the issue.
Dudley Henriques

Strange. I'm looking at the thread posted to both owning and piloting, and
in both cases, the entire thread is there. I'm using Mozilla 1.7.5 on a
Windows platform (Windows/2000 Professional).

Sacramento, CA
Old December 14th 05, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

[...]

No biggie for sure :-), but when I hit reply on Andrew's message, the
reference shows normally as below;

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
ups.com...

Try and explain that to the parents of the boy who got killed.

but when simply pulled up in the thread, just the sentence.

Interesting!! Just one of those unexplained mysteries that must drive Bill
Gates nuts from time to time :-)))
Dudley

Old December 14th 05, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

No one knows which post you are answering if you don't reference in some
way.

("Mark Hansen" wrote)
Andrew was responding to Paul, which is clearly visible when viewing the
thread. If you aren't using a news reader which supports viewing threads,
perhaps you should switch. There are lots of free ones that do a fine job.

I start with a clean slate a couple of times a day. If a post pops up
without supporting references, I'm left guessing ------ RMG!! :-)

Montblack
M$ OE 6.0

Old December 14th 05, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

On 12/14/2005 09:05, Montblack wrote:

No one knows which post you are answering if you don't reference in some
way.

("Mark Hansen" wrote)
Andrew was responding to Paul, which is clearly visible when viewing the
thread. If you aren't using a news reader which supports viewing threads,
perhaps you should switch. There are lots of free ones that do a fine job.

I start with a clean slate a couple of times a day. If a post pops up
without supporting references, I'm left guessing ------ RMG!! :-)

Why is that better? Are you trying to save disk space?

Montblack
M$ OE 6.0

Sacramento, CA

Trial by newspaper Paul kgyy Piloting 68 December 18th 05 02:11 AM
Air Force Spy Trial to Proceed Despite Modified Evidence Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 September 13th 04 01:31 AM
Stars and Stripes Offers Free Electronic Newspaper, By Sgt. 1st Class Doug Sample, USA Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 April 30th 04 09:45 PM
Stars and Stripes Offers Free Electronic Newspaper, By Sgt. 1st Class Doug Sample, USA Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 April 30th 04 09:45 PM
Trial Of Woman Accused Of Killing Military Husband Postponed Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 January 24th 04 12:05 AM