Keeping the Hangar Clear of Snow

Old December 15th 05, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Keeping the Hangar Clear of Snow

We're facing the snowiest fall ever in Iowa, which has required shoveling
pretty much every other day. (Gosh, I can hardly wait for winter!)

Our airport plows the ramps and runways well, but they always leave a strip
of snow approximately 2 - 3 feet out from the hangar door. This, of course,
needs to be cleared before the plane can be removed.

We keep a snow shovel at the hangar, of course, and occasionally (like,
today) we truck our snow blower in when the snow is really heavy and deep.

I've thought about tipping the snow plow driver to get him to plow as close
to the hangar door as possible (when the airport manager was a friend of
ours, he always took extra care to plow as close as possible), but I never
seem to catch the guy. Our FBO is useless in this regard, only shoveling
right around their office door entry way, and not getting involved with the
hangars in any way at all anymore.

Anyone got any tricks for keeping the hangar ramp clear of snow?

Also, can anyone recommend something they put down on ice that (a) enhances
traction (b) melts snow, (c) doesn't harm aluminum, and (d) doesn't leave a
gritty, prop-eroding residue?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 15th 05, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Two to three feet? Is that all? I have an approach in front of my
rental hanger that is about 35 feet to the plowed taxiway. The airport
guys do the taxiway. I do the rest. I zip over from my office during
the lunch hour, before work, after work, etc. whenever it snows, in
order to keep it clear. If I miss a storm and it gets too deep, I toss
the snowblower from home into the truck and do it on the weekend. One
secret: I built a "snow-pusher." This is a wide 1x6 board with a long
handle. I can clear that 35x15 foot approach of 2 inches of light snow
in about 5-10 minutes. My goal is to keep the approach clear before
anyone drives or parks a car on it-packing down the snow.

On your other question: I don't think there is anything that changes
the melting teperature of snow that is not corrosive to some metals.

Al
1964 Cessna 172
Spokane, WA

Old December 15th 05, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

Time to get a blade for The Grape! Pounds of fuel translates to
traction. Think of the benefits of being able to plow the Inn's parking
lots. Think of the money young Joe will be able to make in future years.

Also, can anyone recommend something they put down on ice that (a) enhances
traction (b) melts snow, (c) doesn't harm aluminum, and (d) doesn't leave a
gritty, prop-eroding residue?

Is urea still applied at some airports?
Old December 15th 05, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

The riding lawn mower has to live somewhere in the winter and ours lives at
the hanger with a snowblower attached (We have a large tractor with a 72"
blower for the driveway). The most painful part was shelling out $80 for
lawn tractor chains.

Mike
MU-2

Old December 15th 05, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I "just" got back from the airport shoveling. Nick and I did our hanger,
and two neighbors that, in the past, have shoveled ours out. Snow was about
6", drifts 9", and still coming down at a very high rate. No 2 wheel drive
vehicles to be seen.

The approach to our hanger is sloped uphill, which you would think, would
allow for the water to run away from the hanger... well kinda... if the snow
melts off the roof, water then drips down in front of the hanger and
freezes, it creates a huge ice dam(n) right in front of the door, from then
on, the water runs INTO the hanger.... grrrr freezes the door to the ground
and sometimes freezes inside the hanger..... instant in door ice skating
rink!

So, unless we've got about 40 of Santa's Elves equipped with cleated elf
shoes.... we use sand, kitty litter, floor dry, oil absorb to enable 1) us
mear mortal's to stand up and 2) the electric tug to get better traction to
push the plane into the hanger.

I've been thinking about some kind of rubber mat, maybe a 10 foot strip of
12" wide conveyor belting, drilling a bunch of holes in it, then putting
carriage bolts through, washers and nuts on the bottom side so they would
dig into the ice. Kind of a ice gripping rubber sidewalk for the tug to
drive along.

As for melting snow... I won't touch anything like that... I've seen wayyyy
too much equipment eaten up by salt and other chemicals to throw anything
like that around an airplane.... A couple guys have tried the nitrogen
based materials that our airport sells, only to find that they eat up the
concrete in their hangers. We use as little sand or kitty litter as
possible, only to get the plane pushed back inside, then we shovel up what
we can so others don't taxi through it.

Jim

Old December 15th 05, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

john smith wrote:

Time to get a blade for The Grape!

Another possibility is the sort of independently powered large snowblowers that
mount on lawn tractors. A new one for my tractor would cost $600. When this sort
of thing comes up on Ebay, it's frequently pretty cheap 'cause you have to pick
it up. Jerry-rig a way to hook it up to the front of the Grape.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.
Old December 15th 05, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jim Burns wrote:

if the snow
melts off the roof, water then drips down in front of the hanger and
freezes, it creates a huge ice dam(n) right in front of the door, from then
on, the water runs INTO the hanger.... grrrr freezes the door to the ground
and sometimes freezes inside the hanger..... instant in door ice skating
rink!

Install a gutter up there. Full width of the hangar. Don't put ends on it. All
the melt water will run over to the ends of the building. Slope the gutter both
ways from the center if you can.

Old December 15th 05, 05:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Anyone got any tricks for keeping the hangar ramp clear of snow?

Move farther south..

BT

Old December 15th 05, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Anyone got any tricks for keeping the hangar ramp clear of snow?

Move farther south..

I'll tell you what -- if this crazy fall is any indication of what winter
will bring, I'll be with you 100%...

:-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 15th 05, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay Honeck wrote:

I'll tell you what -- if this crazy fall is any indication of what winter
will bring, I'll be with you 100%...

Choose carefully. Last Friday, the Texas stockbroker on NPR said it was 15
degrees down there. And they get hurricanes there and in the southeast, so you
don't want to go there. Maybe Arizona?