Keeping the Hangar Clear of Snow

Old December 15th 05, 05:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Keeping the Hangar Clear of Snow

I'll tell you what -- if this crazy fall is any indication of what winter
will bring, I'll be with you 100%...

Choose carefully. Last Friday, the Texas stockbroker on NPR said it was 15
degrees down there. And they get hurricanes there and in the southeast, so
you don't want to go there. Maybe Arizona?

Just so I can broil from April till October? Nah. Maybe someday, when I
can be a snowbird, but I couldn't stand living there year 'round. My eyes
just crave the intense green of spring in the Midwest, after a week in the
desert.

Kinda like this:

http://alexisparkinn.com/photogaller...air%206-05.jpg

and this:

http://alexisparkinn.com/photogaller...%20%206-05.jpg

I don't think there is a perfect climate, outside of Southern California --
and that area has pretty much been ruined, sadly.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 15th 05, 08:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Ah, grasshopper, you need to consider Northern California or Southern Oregon
for your nirvana. Four full seasons, much rain, little snow, much summer
sun, little winter chill below freezing.

Jim

Old December 15th 05, 10:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

RST Engineering wrote:
Ah, grasshopper, you need to consider Northern California or Southern Oregon
for your nirvana. Four full seasons, much rain, little snow, much summer
sun, little winter chill below freezing.

Or Hawaii.

Matt
Old December 15th 05, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Old December 15th 05, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Is urea still applied at some airports?

Urea is used as nitrogen-type fertilizer. We've used it on the
runway at low application rates to get thin skins of ice off it. The
urea will melt or cause evaporation of small patches of ice so that the
sun can warm those little patches of pavement and begin the warming
process that gets rid of the rest of the ice. Ice and/or snow will
reflect the sun's heat back into space.
Some have used soot applied to the snow or ice to absorb light
and start melting. Soot, though, is commonly found in ashes, which can
be corrosive.
Sawdust can be used to gain traction on ice. Only disadvantage
is its being tracked into the hangar, airplane, house, whatever.

Dan

Old December 15th 05, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Or Hawaii.

I'd sure need some looooong-range tanks on our Pathfinder to be able to fly
anywhere!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 15th 05, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Matt Whiting wrote:
RST Engineering wrote:
Ah, grasshopper, you need to consider Northern California or Southern Oregon
for your nirvana. Four full seasons, much rain, little snow, much summer
sun, little winter chill below freezing.

Or Hawaii.

You'll need a real good crosswind technique, and a willingness to use
it often.

Old December 15th 05, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay Honeck wrote:
I don't think there is a perfect climate, outside of Southern California --
and that area has pretty much been ruined, sadly.

ain't that the truth. My friend who lives there has a house with no
a/c and no insulation, and they don't need either, and their backyard
really is part of their everyday living space, basically all year
round. Then you leave their house to drive somewhere and oh crap.

Old December 15th 05, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Urea is 46% N. We buy and use it by the truck load on the farm. Some time
when you don't have anything better to do, stop by your local fertilizer
co-op. Take a look at their trucks or ask them to see the equipment that
they spread or haul urea with. If it isn't wood, plastic, stainless steel,
or brand new it will have corrosion, pitting, and rust. If aluminum wasn't
affected by urea, we'd use aluminum tanks, hoppers, mixers, conveyors and
augers rather than stainless, everything would be a LOT lighter. Granted,
urea isn't AS corrosive as phosphates and potassiums, but urea by itself
will corrode aluminum. It will corrode copper. It will corrode steel.
I've got plenty of equipment around here that is specifically used to handle
urea and other nitrogen fertilizers that can testify to that. An airplane
makes a well balanced diet for urea.
Jim

oups.com...

Old December 15th 05, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article ,
"Jim Carter" wrote:

But after summer, what other seasons does Hawaii have?

Problem is -- there aren't very many airplanes in Hawaii. It is also one
of the most GA-unfriendly states in the US.

--
Remve "_" from email to reply to me personally.