A Laser Phalanx?

Old September 16th 07, 11:47 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
The Horny Goat

Default A Laser Phalanx?

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 21:20:11 +0100, "William Black"
wrote:

"The Horny Goat" wrote in message
.. .

I knew the story of his feud with Aldington and I agree with your
assessment. Any wrongdoing was at a considerably higher level than
Aldington - probably Churchill himself at Yalta.

A deal was done by the Allied leaders at Yalta that any traitors captured
would be handed back to the appropriate country for trial and punishment.

I know that - the war crime in my eyes was not what happened to the
pre-war Soviet citizens but rather to the children of the 1917-21
White emigres who had (a) never lived in Russia / Soviet Union nor (b)
held Soviet citizenshp.

These people NEVER OWED ALLEGIANCE in any way shape or form to the
Soviet Union - but were handed over to Stalin with the rest of the
Vlasovites.

I'm somewhat sympathetic to the Soviet conscripts who didn't want to
return to Russia but at least de jure they were Soviet citizens who
owed some allegiance to an appalling regime.

I have less patience to the non-Soviet citizens who were shipped to
Russia against their will and against all standards of international
decency and justice. I understand that given conditions in April -
June 1945 sorting out Soviet from non-Soviet citizens might have been
difficult given that the Soviet citizens had extreme reasons to lose
their passports and other documents.

A number of British traitors were handed back or captured and some were
certainly executed and others got long prison sentences. It is interesting
to note that the Russians refrained from shooting British SS men out of
hand, as was their normal practice for most SS men they caught. One was in
a Soviet jail for five or six years as they preferred to believe he was a
British spy rather than an SS man.

In their world that's clearly a more likely reason for being in SS
uniform than fascistic convictions. I would tend to make the same
assumption until I knew otherwise.

At the end of the war the USA seems to have made little or no attempt to
bring the members of the American Free Corps to justice, with the notable
exception of Martin Monti, who didn't get out of jail until 1960.

I'm much more interested in why a character called Douglas Berneville-Claye
was up to between being captured in 1942 and turning up in Berlin in March
1945 in an SS captain's uniform.

He was a real traitor, but nobody knows much about him except that at the
end of the war he was an SS captain and was certainly captured and was
promptly allowed to rejoin the army...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1898942.stm

Certainly the evidence seems clear that not all the ex-Nazis in the
French Foreign Legion in the 40s and 50s were Germans...