U. S. Invasion of Russia in 1919

Old October 20th 03, 08:19 PM
WDA

Default U. S. Invasion of Russia in 1919

Who knows of a good reference about the invasion of Russia through
Vladivostok by us Americans while the British and another American force
invaded through Murmansk to support the White Russians? I understand the
Valdivostok force moved west crossing almost half of Siberia in chasing the
Reds.

WDA

end

Old October 20th 03, 09:03 PM
Keith Willshaw

"WDA" wrote in message
et...
Who knows of a good reference about the invasion of Russia through
Vladivostok by us Americans while the British and another American force
invaded through Murmansk to support the White Russians? I understand the
Valdivostok force moved west crossing almost half of Siberia in chasing

the
Reds.

WDA

end

There's an extensive bibliography at

http://www.umich.edu/~bhl/bhl//mhchome/polartp.htm

a nice account of the main actions of the Archangel force at
http://www.umich.edu/~bhl/bhl//mhchome/polarb.htm

see also
http://www.militaria.com/8th/WW1/siberia.html
http://www-cgsc.army.mil/milrev/engl...obdunscomb.asp
http://nortvoods.net/rrs/japan/

Keith

Old October 21st 03, 04:40 AM
Kevin Brooks

"WDA" wrote in message . net...
Who knows of a good reference about the invasion of Russia through
Vladivostok by us Americans while the British and another American force
invaded through Murmansk to support the White Russians? I understand the
Valdivostok force moved west crossing almost half of Siberia in chasing the
Reds.

WDA

end

Timely coincidence; do a check at the Borders or barnes and Noble
websites. I was at Borders yesterday and saw a newly published book
about the US intervention in their military history section. Sorry,
did not get the title.

Brooks
Old October 21st 03, 04:45 AM
TAH

I highly recommend a book first published in1960, written by E.M. Halliday
titled, "The Ignorant Armies". I purchased the 1990 Bantam paperback
version.

--

et...

Old October 21st 03, 08:43 AM
Don Harstad

"TAH" wrote in message
I highly recommend a book first published in1960, written by E.M. Halliday
titled, "The Ignorant Armies". I purchased the 1990 Bantam paperback
version.

I second that. Excellent book. Also published under a more lurid title a
couple years back, but it eludes me now.

Don H.

Old October 21st 03, 10:35 AM
Cub Driver

Who knows of a good reference about the invasion of Russia through
Vladivostok by us Americans while the British and another American force
invaded through Murmansk to support the White Russians? I understand the
Valdivostok force moved west crossing almost half of Siberia in chasing the
Reds.

Actually, very little! I once wrote an article about the western (and
eastern!) intervention in Russia's civil war. Fascinating stuff.

Basically, it was the British who landed in European Russia while the
Americans and Japanese landed in Siberia. Each country had its own
agenda (especially Japan, which had long coveted, and would continue
to covet, a foothold in Siberia) but the intention of the western
allies was to rescue the "Polish Legion."

The Poles had been fighting on the eastern front against Germany.
After the Bolshevik revolution, they were stuck. The allies wanted
them on the western front. The Russians demanded that the Poles down
arms; the Poles naturally refused, and instead began to fight their
way along the trans-Siberian railroad, 4,000 miles to Vladivostok. It
was to extricate the Poles that the Americans went into Siberia.

Of course the war ended before the Poles finished their anabasis, and
as often happens, the American intervention took on a life of its own.
We stuck around for a year or so. There wasn't any heavy combat, just
skirmishes. The Russians were fighting largely with armored trains:
they'd go charging up & down the trans-Siberian RR, firing cannon at
each other. (You can see these armored trains in the 1960s movie
spectacular Doctor Zhigavo.)

I don't think the Americans went very far east. When we pulled out,
the Japanese did.

I am less certain about the British (and I think a few Americans)
around Murmansk. I have a vague notion it was mostly RAF. The object
there of course would have been to give the Poles a short-cut out of
the country, if they could fight their way up to Murmansk.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old October 21st 03, 10:38 AM
Cub Driver

Timely coincidence; do a check at the Borders or barnes and Noble
websites. I was at Borders yesterday and saw a newly published book
about the US intervention in their military history section. Sorry,
did not get the title.

If you see it again, would you post it? I did a search on Amazon, and
all I got was out-of-print titles.

(My earlier post referred to Murmansk. I should have said Archangel.)

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old October 21st 03, 07:54 PM
Kevin Brooks

Cub Driver wrote in message . ..
Timely coincidence; do a check at the Borders or barnes and Noble
websites. I was at Borders yesterday and saw a newly published book
about the US intervention in their military history section. Sorry,
did not get the title.

If you see it again, would you post it? I did a search on Amazon, and
all I got was out-of-print titles.

(My earlier post referred to Murmansk. I should have said Archangel.)

I'll check and get back to you. I did not find it on their website,
either. I saw it on the shelf and did not even take it down (had to
rush back out to meet the wife). Strange, but I am pretty sure it had
a blue cover (how's that for relevant memory? )

Brooks

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Old October 21st 03, 11:44 PM
Llama Thumper

I think you confused the Poles with the Czechs, the Czech Legion.

Regards
Piotr

Old October 22nd 03, 10:51 AM
Cub Driver

I think you confused the Poles with the Czechs, the Czech Legion.

Yes, you're quite right. It was the Czech Anabasis, as I learned it in
Russian history, but that was a long time ago. Sorry!

(The Czechs got out of Russia, by the way, or most of them did. The
last ship left Vladivostok in August 1920, nearly three years and
4,000 miles from where they had begun their trek. Here's an internet
account: http://drfaltin.org/archive2.htm )

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com