Katrina fall-out

Old September 1st 05, 11:31 PM
sfb

Once they turn north, hurricanes usually move north and east. The ones
into Mexico and south Texas don't make the turn.

"Morgans" wrote in message

"sfb" wrote in message
I'm going to catch some crap for doubting the wisdom of a pilot, but
even the smartest of us do what others think weird. There was a
poster
who moved his plane to Dothan, Alabama which is 160 miles east of
Mobile. My immediate question was why not fly due west into Texas
since
these monsters tend to move north and east.

The movement you state is in no way a "usually." In this case, the
trends
were taking the track more to the west, over time.
--
Jim in NC

Old September 1st 05, 11:35 PM
Dan Luke

"sfb" wrote:
I'm going to catch some crap for doubting the wisdom of a pilot, but
even the smartest of us do what others think weird. There was a poster
who moved his plane to Dothan, Alabama which is 160 miles east of
Mobile. My immediate question was why not fly due west into Texas
since these monsters tend to move north and east.

Because I would have had to fly 475 miles to Houston and stay there a
day or two. No need to do that when Dothan was well clear of the
storm's easternmost forecast track and I could rent a car and drive
right back home.

Went back and got the airplane today.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 1st 05, 11:44 PM
Dan Luke

"Morgans" wrote:

True, but this was Cat 5, and in favorable conditions to build, or
stay the
same.

Not until late in the game:

HURRICANE KATRINA FORECAST/ADVISORY NUMBER 17
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL122005
1500Z SAT AUG 27 2005

AT 10 AM CDT...1500Z...A HURRICANE WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR THE
SOUTHEASTERN COAST OF LOUISIANA EAST OF MORGAN CITY TO THE MOUTH OF
THE PEARL RIVER...INCLUDING METROPOLITAN NEW ORLEANS AND LAKE
PONCHARTRAIN. A HURRICANE WATCH MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS
ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN THE WATCH AREA...GENERALLY WITHIN 36 HOURS.

A HURRICANE WATCH WILL LIKELY BE REQUIRED FOR OTHER PORTIONS OF THE
NORTHERN GULF COAST LATER TODAY OR TONIGHT. INTERESTS IN THIS AREA
SHOULD MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF KATRINA.

HURRICANE CENTER LOCATED NEAR 24.5N 85.0W AT 27/1500Z
POSITION ACCURATE WITHIN 10 NM

PRESENT MOVEMENT TOWARD THE WEST OR 275 DEGREES AT 6 KT

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE 940 MB
EYE DIAMETER 10 NM
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS 100 KT WITH GUSTS TO 120 KT.

I hope we all have learned something from this. There is no safe
place, on the coast with a Cat 4 or 5.

By the time Katrina was a Cat. 5, it was too late for total evacuation
of the impact zone.

Old September 1st 05, 11:52 PM
Morgans

"Dylan Smith" wrote

The roads were jam packed leaving New Orleans, with traffic moving very
slowly. 80% of the population was already in their cars, and the
freeways were choked.
A contraflow was set up on major routes, so the return trip
would have had to have been made on more minor routes. Average speeds
for the city buses would have been 15 mph at best

Hell, bring in the C-17's, and C-5A's and C-130's. Marshall law should have
been declared, all should have been driven out, and transportation provided
for those who needed it. Set up refugee camps at closed military bases, and
all could have lived much more comfortably than they are now.
--
Jim in NC

Old September 1st 05, 11:54 PM
Morgans

"Pixel Dent" wrote

I don't think anyone outside a
Usenet heel digging contest would seriously propose evacuating 20
million people every time a cat 1 storm wanders into the gulf.

True, but this was Cat 5, and in favorable conditions to build, or stay the
same. I hope we all have learned something from this. There is no safe

Old September 2nd 05, 12:05 AM
Dave Stadt

"Peter R." wrote in message
Jay Honeck wrote:

In America -- by comparison to the rest of the world -- there are no

poor
people. What we call "poor" here would be rich beyond measure in many
parts of world.

Apparently you have never visited an American Indian reservation. Poor on
some of these reservations would definitely be considered poor in other
parts of the world.

Jay, you really need to put down those rose-colored glasses of yours.

--
Peter

I had not noticed fences around reservations keeping the residents from
leaving and getting a job. Don't the American Indians get more free
government hand outs than any other ethnic group?

Old September 2nd 05, 12:09 AM
Dave Stadt

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
ink.net...

"john smith" wrote in message
. ..
Rick wrote:
I'll bet there could have been better solutions, and I'll bet that

there
actually are enough military vehicles. I simply think there wasn't

enough
planning and solutions in place.

It sure makes one wonder where all those hundreds of billions of

Homeland
Security tax dollars are going?

Keeping nail clippers off airplanes.

Mike
MU-2

Don't forget the millions spent on the multicolored green, orange, yellow,
red (or whatever it is) fancy stop light that has the terrorist shaking in
their sandals.

Old September 2nd 05, 01:30 AM
john smith

What 100 city buses could do in a non-emergency situation when the
freeways had normal traffic flows is totally irrelevant to what they can
do when every major route is running at parking lot speeds.

16 hour drive from New Orleans to Houston according to a namesake I
frequently communicate with from there. Course they didn't need to take
them that far, but any the city buses could have removed, would have
been more than doing nothing until now with imported buses...

What about trains?
Are there rail lines that run into New Orleans?
You can move thousands with boxcars and flatcars and a couple engines.
Old September 2nd 05, 01:42 AM
john smith

I'll bet there could have been better solutions, and I'll bet that there
actually are enough military vehicles. I simply think there wasn't
enough planning and solutions in place.

It sure makes one wonder where all those hundreds of billions of
Homeland Security tax dollars are going?
Imagine if this had been a real disaster?

Do mean to say that this hurricane was not a real disaster?

It wasn't the disaster they were planning for.
The point is that Homeland Security is a joke.
It is a contrived organization to increase the federal buracracy and
funnel billions of tax dollars to contractors.

Reported examples:
- $400/night hotels for contractors that were consultants
- $100,000's for office building artwork and decorations
- $400,000 for a retirement and awards recognition dinner for an
organization that had only been in business for three months.
And that is just what we know about.

Fall Photo Shoots Arnold Sten Piloting 7 October 8th 04 04:29 PM
Windsocks ,. Great fall special $ 15 for 1 or $ 25 for 2 GASSITT Aviation Marketplace 0 October 6th 04 05:12 AM
Tomcats gone by fall of 2006 Mike Weeks Naval Aviation 48 June 22nd 04 02:32 PM
NE fall foliage report Cub Driver Piloting 0 October 19th 03 12:25 PM
Fall Colors Flights! Jack Cunniff Piloting 2 October 15th 03 10:06 PM