Transmissions

Old April 1st 04, 02:41 PM
Hankal

Default Transmissions

November 12345, a Cessna 172, 20 miles northeast of Sugarloaf Mountain, level
VFR seven thousand five hundred, en route to Winston-Salem, North Carolina."

For those who like to write lists, it would look like this:

1) FULL callsign;
2) Type aircraft;
3) Current location;
4) Current altitude and altitude to which you are climbing/descending; and,
5) Destination.

There is a method behind my madness. Most Center controllers will find this
format comfortable and oddly familiar. That's because it's the format that the
flight plan is written on a flight progress strip.

Guess I will not listen to hangar talk and continue giving the whole spiel,
until advised different.
Hank

Old April 1st 04, 03:09 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Hankal" wrote in message

November 12345, a Cessna 172, 20 miles northeast of Sugarloaf
Mountain, level VFR seven thousand five hundred, en route to
Winston-Salem, North Carolina."

For those who like to write lists, it would look like this:

1) FULL callsign;
2) Type aircraft;

I would combine the two, "Skyhawk 12345". Please, do not combine them as
"Cessna 172 12345"

Old April 1st 04, 04:10 PM
Hankal

I would combine the two, "Skyhawk 12345". Please, do not combine them as
"Cessna 172 12345"

I never use Cessna 172. Always use Skyhawk. Of course some controllers come
back "say aircraft"
Old April 1st 04, 07:39 PM
John Bishop

You might know what your aircraft is, but don't expect everyone else to do
so. You are in a 172 offficially, so why not announce yourself as so?

I fly from a major international airport, they aren't interested that I fly
a brand new Archer, they tell all the 737's and Airbus's to "look out for
the Cherokee on base" It's a PA28 to them.

John

Old April 1st 04, 07:50 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"John Bishop" wrote in message

You might know what your aircraft is, but don't expect everyone else
to do so. You are in a 172 offficially, so why not announce yourself
as so?

What makes "172" any more "official" than "Skyhawk"?

Old April 1st 04, 08:00 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Hankal wrote:

I never use Cessna 172. Always use Skyhawk. Of course some controllers come
back "say aircraft"

I've had controllers come back and say "say type aircraft" in response
to a spiel including "cessna 1 7 2 slant golf".

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old April 2nd 04, 03:47 PM
Maule Driver

Some a/c names won't work consistently no matter what you say....

"Maule 1234Foxtrot blah blah..."
"1234Foxtrot, Say type of aircraft?"
"A Maule, an M7" (M7 is what DUATs eats)
"uhhh, got it, Mooney 1234Foxtrot blah blah"
"Maule 1234F, wilco, that's a Maule, 180hp, single engine high wing, fixed
gear" (i.e. much slower than Mooney).
2 hours and 3 controllers away....
"Mooney 1234F blah blah"
etc

Sometimes it would be easier to call myself a Skyhawk.

Old April 2nd 04, 03:57 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Maule Driver" said:
Sometimes it would be easier to call myself a Skyhawk.

If it's a high wing, call yourself a Cessna. If it's a low wing, call
yourself a Cherokee.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
The Write Many, Read Never drive. For those people that don't know
Old April 2nd 04, 05:10 PM
John Harper

That doesn't always work either. The other day I was
overtaking a twin on the way into Palo Alto (my home
airport). The twin called in after me and was told #1.
I was told to follow. I said "I'll need to make a 360".
"No, he's a Seneca, he's much faster than you".
"I'm overtaking him off my left wing right now"
"What kind of Cessna are you???"
"Skylane retractable, showing 140 indicated."
"OK, make a right 360".

And of course actually I'd called in as a Skylane.
Quite often I become a Skyhawk, but I've been lots
of other things too: Cherokee, Bonanza, ... I've never
been a Citation, which is a bit disappointing to both of us.

John

Old April 4th 04, 06:29 AM
Ray Andraka

A Cherokee Six is another that always evokes ATC woes. I've been called a
Warrior, Lance, Saratoga, Piper, and Cherokee. The only one that is not a PA-32
is the warrior, but there is a big speed variation between a Six and a Lance or
retractable Saratoga.

Paul Tomblin wrote:

In a previous article, "Maule Driver" said:
Sometimes it would be easier to call myself a Skyhawk.

If it's a high wing, call yourself a Cessna. If it's a low wing, call
yourself a Cherokee.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
The Write Many, Read Never drive. For those people that don't know
their system has a /dev/null already.
-- Rik Steenwinkel, singing the praises of 8mm Exabytes

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759