Grounded - Where to get rid of the Building Materials?

Old July 14th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
mark

Default Grounded - Where to get rid of the Building Materials?

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Rocketeer" wrote

Why yes, sailplanes! And there is a sailplane port not far from here.
And NO MEDICAL REQUIRED!! Not for student or pilot.

Thanks for making me look that up!

But if they sent me the certified letter, is that for ONLY powered
planes? I will have to have them answer that one for me cause the
letter sounded awful hard against any flying.

There is a gotcha in the sport pilot rating, in that there is no medical
required IF you have not been turned down at your last FAA medical. That
is
your condition, so no sport pilot for you.

For sailplanes, there is NO medical of any kind required for it. It does
not matter if you have been turned down in the past. You are self
certifying, before every flight, that you have no condition that is going
cause a safety problem during that flight. It would seem to me, that is
your only catch. You must be honest enough to be aware of your
limitations.

The sailplane ticket also allow for self launch, or motor gliders. There
are definitions that have to be met to call it a motor glider, but at
least
with an engine, you can go somewhere when the lift is marginal.

Here is a link with most of the vital information.
http://webpages.charter.net/engreenwell/ASA/Motorglider_criteria_2004.pdf
--
Jim in NC

You also have FAR part 103 ultralights, and one other possibility for you
depending on your condition. If it wasn't done during the intital attempt
at getting a medical, and I doubt it was in that Light Sport is very new,
you can ask that they review your medical certification again for Light
Sport only. It wouldn't be a 3rd class, but a review to see if you could
safely operate an LSA. Many homebuilts can fall into that category. To
deal with these types of issues AOPA is the place to call and ask for the
medical certification dept.

Old July 14th 06, 06:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_3_]

"mark" wrote

You also have FAR part 103 ultralights, and one other possibility for you
depending on your condition. If it wasn't done during the intital attempt
at getting a medical, and I doubt it was in that Light Sport is very new,
you can ask that they review your medical certification again for Light
Sport only.

What on earth are you talking about? There is only one minimum level of
medical that will do; at least a 3rd class medical, that he can let expire.
There is no light sport medical review.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 14th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
mark

"Morgans" wrote in message

"mark" wrote

You also have FAR part 103 ultralights, and one other possibility for you
depending on your condition. If it wasn't done during the intital
attempt
at getting a medical, and I doubt it was in that Light Sport is very new,
you can ask that they review your medical certification again for Light
Sport only.

What on earth are you talking about? There is only one minimum level of
medical that will do; at least a 3rd class medical, that he can let
expire.
There is no light sport medical review.
--
Jim in NC

He can not just let his medical expire. If I understood correctly he
attempted to get a 3rd class and was denied. That means the self certify
does not apply to him, but the FAA will review the file again if it has not
already done so, for allowing him to fly Light Sport Aircraft only. Once
they review the file they could possibly issue a letter giving him the ok to
self certify for LSA or under what conditions he would have to meet to fly
LSA. Its also possible that they could turn him down again for LSA. That
would limit him to 103 and possibly gliders.

Its really one of the big catch 22's in LSA. If you attempt to get a
medical and find a problem or if you try to jump through the hoops and
someone say no, you lose the light sport as an option without more hoops.

Old July 14th 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_3_]

"mark" wrote

He can not just let his medical expire. If I understood correctly he
attempted to get a 3rd class and was denied.

Correct

That means the self certify
does not apply to him, but the FAA will review the file again if it has

not
already done so, for allowing him to fly Light Sport Aircraft only.

Where have you ever heard of reviewing an application for allowing sport
pilot only? You are proposing a procedure that is not in place.

Once
they review the file they could possibly issue a letter giving him the ok

self certify for LSA or under what conditions he would have to meet to fly
LSA. Its also possible that they could turn him down again for LSA.

They have already turned him down for LSA by turning down his medical. His
medical MUST be reinstated fully, to fly, then he can let it expire and fly
LSA.

If you know of a procedure other than full medical reinstatement like you
have posted, explain fully, and post cites. Until then, don't get some
people's hopes up.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 15th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
mark

"Morgans" wrote in message

"mark" wrote

[...]

It is not the full medical. I wouldn't be getting peoples hopes up if I
wasn't positive. The full review with the appeals likely was for the 3rd
class. Third class has no restrictions on size, speed or type of airplane.
Its perfectly legal with the right paperwork and pilot certificates to fly
ANY certified airplane with a class 3. High perfomance twins, turbocharged
and pressurized airplanes complex and high speed airplanes are all fair game
with a class 3 and medically that affects both the operating environment and
the risks involved with flight with various conditions.

The review for light sport only puts very definate speed and weight
restrictions on the pilots. Those restrictions most certainly lower the
risks of flight involved to others. The procedure is in place, but must be
requested if it was not done so with the request of the class 3. A class 3
request does not automatically call for a review for light sport
qualifications. Once requested, the FAA can review the file and then make a
determination as to his or her safety based on the lower performance of the
aircraft and the lower demands on the pilot for the slower airplanes. That
can be as simple as a letter to the applicant stating that his or her file
has been reviewed and that they are now approved to self certify. It may
also require other conditions like a phyisical from an AME every so often,
and maybe specfic procedures to be done at that interval just as they can do
now with a 3rd or any other class of medical certificate that might have an
issue which would be a potential problem. It also can be a denial. They
have great latitude. AOPA medical certification department 1 800 872 2672
(join if not a member its worth it) and AME's have the proper information
available on how to make such a request and how such a request might be
looked upon.

Yes this is an option that can be explored and has been since the
implementation of LSA. Hopefully in time this review will be automatic with
the denial of a 3rd or any other class. Like many things though how you ask
matters and its so new many AME's are just learning the ropes too.

Old July 15th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

"mark" wrote in message

snip The review for light sport only puts very definate speed and weight
restrictions on the pilots. snip

Mark.............

This sounds wonderful, however you still fail to give any reference in the
FAR's for such a procedure. I have read them carefully from day one and do
not remember any such clause.

Would you please give chapter and verse. This information would be eagerly
received by many.

Rich S.

Old July 15th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_3_]

"mark" wrote

It is not the full medical. I wouldn't be getting peoples hopes up if I
wasn't positive.

The review for light sport only puts very definate speed and weight
restrictions on the pilots. Those restrictions most certainly lower the
risks of flight involved to others. The procedure is in place, but must

be
requested if it was not done so with the request of the class 3. A class

3
request does not automatically call for a review for light sport
qualifications. Once requested, the FAA can review the file and then make

determination as to his or her safety based on the lower performance of

the
aircraft and the lower demands on the pilot for the slower airplanes.

How did you find out about this procedure? Do you know anyone who has been
successful with the review?

If this is a viable procedure, there must be a written record, as to how it
is done, what it's limitations and requirements are, ect. The FAA does not
do anything that is not on paper. Can you point to a reg., circular, or
something on paper?

Anyone else out there ever hear of this?

I, for one, am still skeptical, but would *love* to be proven wrong, by
seeing it in print, in a government record.

Thanks for keeping this as a civil discussion.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 15th 06, 06:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
mark

Its there but I have to dig it out. If you are interested in doing the
research for yourself it probably won't be in 67 yet. Look in LSA pamplets.
AOPA has chapter and verse as to where its found. Anyone in that situation
should be joining for their advise in these types of matters.

Knowing how to fill out the paperwork is 3/4 ths of the battle. They know
far better than any of us unless maybe there is an AME here that can quote
straight from their manual.

FWIW I researched it for my own purposes a while back.
"Rich S." wrote in message
. ..

Old July 15th 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
mark

"Morgans" wrote in message

"mark" wrote

[...]

Jim one of the issues with this type of procedure is that its a case by case
basis. I did the research a while back because of my own health issues.
They are still new so as I said they are not in 67 yet. They should be LSA
information or the Aviation Medical Examiners manual. It will be several
days for me to dig it out. It really isn't anything more than they do on
any other medical. It is effectively a special issuance for the ability to
fly LSA. I gave the AOPA number in a previous post. Don't take my word for
it. Call them yourself.

It is very possible that this request might have been done for the orginal
poster with the inital application. Its also possible it wasn't. Only he
would know and its none of our business the nature of the medical issue.
Anyone that wants to fly that bad and is willing to press his medical that
far, is someone I hope can be safe, approved and legal.

Old July 17th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Morgans wrote:
"Rocketeer" wrote

Why yes, sailplanes! And there is a sailplane port not far from here.
And NO MEDICAL REQUIRED!! Not for student or pilot.

Thanks for making me look that up!

But if they sent me the certified letter, is that for ONLY powered
planes? I will have to have them answer that one for me cause the
letter sounded awful hard against any flying.

The single msot important consideration is to what extend you
would be at greater risk than a pilot with a current medical.

There is a gotcha in the sport pilot rating, in that there is no medical
required IF you have not been turned down at your last FAA medical. That is
your condition, so no sport pilot for you.

Keeping the above consideration in mind, you might look into this
strategy, described by "Jim" on the yahoo Texas Parasol group:

Last year the FAA presented details of the medical rules at the
Illinois Safety Seminar in Springfield.

Here is a key item. If your last medical was not cancelled, you can
then use your drivers license. And is here the way around your last
cancellation per the FAA. Request a single flight medical for a ferry
flight of a short distance. Almost always granted. Now your last
medical is not a failure. You dont need to actually make the flight,
just have permission.

Your request of course would be for a single flight, VFR, no
passengers, etc so there is no danger to anyone.

I have no first hand experience at this, but am quoting an FAA
employee from Oklahoma who addressed the crowd of 500
with this method.

Please keep in mind those are Jim's words above, not mine.

But again, the single most important consideration is if and to what
extent your medical condition puts you (and the public) at increased
risk should you fly.

--

FF