A-6 Intruder Tactical Manuals (TACMANs) Wanted

Old January 29th 11, 05:47 AM
Wolfhound Wolfhound is offline
Junior Member

Question A-6 Intruder Tactical Manuals (TACMANs) Wanted

Hello all

I would appreciate any help in locating the following manuals for the now retired A-6 Intruder aircraft, if anyone is able to help:

NAVAIR 01-85ADA-1A (Suppl NATOPS)
NAVAIR 01-85ADA-1T (Tactical Manual)
NAVAIR 01-85ADA-1T(A) (Suppl Tactical Manual)

A-6 Tactical Manual Volume II (NWP 55-3-A6, Vol.II / NAVAIR 01-85ADF-1.2T)
A-6 Tactical Manual Volume III (NWP 55-3-A6, Vol.III / NAVAIR 01-85ADF-1T(A)

I would prefer scanned PDF manuals dated between 1974 & 1976 for the 01-85ADA- manuals and 1986 or later for the 01-85ADF- manuals. I can except other manuals depending on circumstance.

You can contact me via PM or via email at wolfhound(*)6(*)at(*)gmail(*).com remove the (*) from the address e.g wolfhound6....... and replace 'at' with @

Regards
__________________
*********I have quite a large collection of Flight, Weapon Systems, Tactical & Supplementary Aircraft Manuals for Jets, Helicopters & some Props, spanning the Vietnam era to present. If you're interested in trading Flight Manuals (scanned, electronic or printed manuals, mainly for modern military aircraft), send me a PM.*********
Old January 30th 11, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
frank

Default A-6 Intruder Tactical Manuals (TACMANs) Wanted

--
Wolfhound

Try contacting the Navy. Either BuPubs would have them in the archives
or they might be in the National Archives. For AF, AF History had
copies of the Dash-ones. At Maxwell AFB, Alabama.
Old January 31st 11, 07:57 AM
Wolfhound Wolfhound is offline
Junior Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
On Jan 28, 10:47*pm, Wolfhound
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the leads frank. What is BuPubs?
__________________
Old February 5th 11, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Nikon

On Jan 31, 12:57*am, Wolfhound
D wrote:
frank;761144 Wrote:

On Jan 28, 10:47*pm, Wolfhound
wrote:-
[...]

Wolfhound- Hide quoted text -

I have been looking for NAVAIR documents on the North American RA5C
for some time. All roads seem to lead to a naval archives at the North
Island Naval Base in California. They apparently have an archives for
the NAVAIRSYSCOM documents. BuPubs stands for the Bureau of Naval
Publications. By the way, the Naval Historical Center is at a total
loss when it comes to locating the material both you and I are looking
for. Give me a little time and I will come up with a contact at North
Island. I am in the process of contacting them for NAVAIR avionics
material on the mentioned aircraft (RA5C). The sad thing is that I
located the material I wanted some years back at the Naval
Publications Center in Philadelphia. They had already boxed it for
shipment to California (North Island ?).
Old February 5th 11, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Nikon

On Feb 4, 5:30*pm, Nikon wrote:
On Jan 31, 12:57*am, Wolfhound

D wrote:
frank;761144 Wrote:

On Jan 28, 10:47*pm, Wolfhound
wrote:-
[...]

shipment to California (North Island ?).- Hide quoted text -

See the following article: http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=3417

"In the past, users had a hard time stocking the (publications)," said
Ruth. "A lot of our aircraft have very old publications - from the
'60's and '70's. Copies got lost, sometimes the original is illegible,
and with a constant turn-over in the fleet, it was hard to track down
who actually owned the publication."

The site she is referring to is known as the Naval Air Technical Data
and Engineering Services Command (NATEC). NATEC is part of NAVAIR and
is the central repository for all NAVAIR technical publications.

Naval Air Technical Data and Engineering Service Command (NATEC)
Naval Air Station North Island
PO Box 357031
San Diego, CA 92135-7031
Old February 6th 11, 03:16 AM
Wolfhound Wolfhound is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon View Post
On Feb 4, 5:30*pm, Nikon wrote:
On Jan 31, 12:57*am, Wolfhound

wrote:
frank;761144 Wrote:

On Jan 28, 10:47*pm, Wolfhound
wrote:-
[...]

Hi Nikon

Thank you, I appreciate your reply.

I have actually been in contact with NATEC for a while now, since late August last year. Unfortunately they say there is a backlog of requests, so its taking about 7 months to process. You can make an FOIA request for documents he http://foia.navair.navy.mil/request.html. If you are a contractor, you could send an email he explaining that you are a contractor and they should be able to direct you and provide the appropiate contacts.

You mentioned the Naval Historical Center, NHHC. I actually contacted them last week via snail mail and I'm waiting for a response. As I'm typing this email I've just visited their site again. Previously they stated that all non-government requests should be in writing hence my letter. I see now that they've recently updated the site and provided an email address, they still insist the general public contact them in writing.
I was informed last year that the NHHC aviation archives were being moved from their (temporary location?) back to their old location which I think was being refurbished. I was given information that the Tactical Manuals I am looking for were in the Orange labelled boxes 21 & 22 I think. I fowarded this info to NHHC and asked if they could confirm this, as well as provide the NAVAIR title of the documents to ensure they are what I'm looking for, so now I'm just waiting for a reply. If none of these leads are successful, I'm hoping a private individual may be able to help.

I've done a brief search for Bureau of Naval Publications, but nothing has turned up yet. I'll continue with a more thorough search.

BTW, unfortunately I don't have any RA5C avionics manuals, but I do have an RA5C NATOPS manual if thats of any use?

Warm regards
Wolfhound
__________________
Old February 7th 11, 08:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Dave in Sandy Eggo

Wolfhound D wrote in
:

On Jan 28, 10:47*pm, Wolfhound
wrote:-
Hello all --
--

**********************
I've done a brief search for Bureau of Naval Publications, but nothing
has turned up yet. I'll continue with a more thorough search.

BTW, unfortunately I don't have any RA5C avionics manuals, but I do have
an RA5C NATOPS manual if thats of any use?

Warm regards
Wolfhound

Bureau of Publications??

That terminology has been gone for at least 30 years, perhaps longer. I
know that when I retired from the Navy in 1989, all the aviation pubs came
under Naval Air Technical Services Facility (NATSF). I'm having trouble
recalling its immediate predecessor, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the
"Bureau of Publications".

Dave in San Diego

Old February 7th 11, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Nikon

On Feb 7, 1:18*am, Dave in Sandy Eggo wrote:
Wolfhound D wrote :

On Jan 28, 10:47*pm, Wolfhound
wrote:-
Hello all --
--
[...]

Dave in San Diego- Hide quoted text -

Dave you are right. Many of the technical manuals used for training
were published by the Bureau of Naval Personnel and were simply noted
as NAVPERS.
The Naval Air Technical Services Facility was once in Philadelphia.
Believe that they were transfered to North Island in San Diego. It
could very well be that they were absorbed by NATEC. Unless my mind is
playing tricks on me there was a Naval Publications Center in
Philadelphia. Things are taking place so fast in the military that it
is very difficult to locate material. Some of the Air Force material
that I was trying locate at Wright Patterson was simply destroyed.
Old February 8th 11, 06:00 AM
Wolfhound Wolfhound is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon View Post
On Feb 7, 1:18*am, Dave in Sandy Eggo wrote:
Wolfhound wrote :

On Jan 28, 10:47*pm, Wolfhound
wrote:-
Hello all --
--
[...]

Your correct Nikon, NATSF is now NATEC.

BTW, its a shame about the material that was destroyed. I'd have expected them to have been archived, at least in digital format if space is an issue.
__________________
Old February 8th 11, 11:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Dave in Sandy Eggo

[...]

Yes, there used to be a Publications Center in Philadelphia, up on Robbins
Avenue, next to, or part of, ASO. My dad used to be stationed at ASO, and I
lived across the river from Philly for a number of years.

NAESU and NATSF were combined into NATEC in 1993, concurent with the move
to NORIS.

As for doing digital archives, (my favorite 'Net Q) who's going to pay for
it?

Dave in San Diego