Aviation Observer Wings Question - Do they still use them ?

Old July 5th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
R. Scott

Default Aviation Observer Wings Question - Do they still use them ?

From what I remember and what I can read they are no longer issued and the
NFO came out in 1968. Yet I see a website where someone claiming to be a
commander and being commissioned in 82 wearing A/O wings on his uniform. In
my limited 16 year career (med disch not retired) I never once seen them.

Plus a lot of his other pictures and stuff don't add up.

Like his pictures of VP31 A/C deployed overseas, Course I was in VP31 and
don't remember them deploying all over the world they seemed to train a
lot of people though .

Thanks in advanced for answering the query

Rick Scott
Fmr USN AE1 and Aircrew

Old July 6th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Mike Kanze

Rick Scott,

Yet I see a website where someone claiming to be a commander and being commissioned in 82 wearing A/O wings on his uniform.

Perhaps this was a former enlisted who earned A/C wings and was later commissioned.

Keep in mind that enlisted A/C wings (the modern version, not the WWII wings) and the now-defunct NAO wings can look very similar from a distance or in a website photo.

See p. 659 and p. 663 in http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-1910/APP20.PDF for illustrations of each.

--
Mike Kanze

"You can't save the earth unless you're willing to make other people sacrifice."

- Dogbert, in Dilbert (6/20/2007)

From what I remember and what I can read they are no longer issued and the

Old July 6th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
R. Scott

"Mike Kanze" wrote in message
Rick Scott,

Yet I see a website where someone claiming to be a commander and being
commissioned in 82 wearing A/O wings on his uniform.

Perhaps this was a former enlisted who earned A/C wings and was later
commissioned.

Keep in mind that enlisted A/C wings (the modern version, not the WWII
wings) and the now-defunct NAO wings can look very similar from a distance
or in a website photo.

See p. 659 and p. 663 in http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-1910/APP20.PDF for
illustrations of each.

Yep I know what the two Look like I'm a former Air Crewman ... and his
website he distinctly says he from high school he went on to earn a PHD then
moved to naval Intel and earned his wings. Yet he is wearing A/O wings.

I don't really want to post the picture as I hate to accuse the guy of being
a Wanna Be without knowledge of the A/O wings.

Rick Scott
FMR AE1 and Air Crewman

Old July 7th 07, 12:35 AM
Larry Cauble Larry Cauble is offline
Junior Member

Location: Oregon, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Scott View Post
From what I remember and what I can read they are no longer issued and the
NFO came out in 1968. Yet I see a website where someone claiming to be a
commander and being commissioned in 82 wearing A/O wings on his uniform. In
my limited 16 year career (med disch not retired) I never once seen them.

Plus a lot of his other pictures and stuff don't add up.

Like his pictures of VP31 A/C deployed overseas, Course I was in VP31 and
don't remember them deploying all over the world they seemed to train a
lot of people though .

Thanks in advanced for answering the query

Rick Scott
Fmr USN AE1 and Aircrew
I know of at least two small groups of officers who wear/wore observer wings: Information warfare officers (1610 designator; used to be called cryptologic officers) who flew in EP-3 back end crews, and oceanography officers (1800) who flew weather missions. Pretty small numbers.
Old July 7th 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Dave[_18_]

Larry Cauble wrote:
R. Scott;530701 Wrote:
From what I remember and what I can read they are no longer issued and
the
[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badges_...ed_States_Navy
may shed some light on current use of NOA badge.
Don't know if it active or not, lost a link to service
designators/badges somewhere along the line.
Dave Retired AWC (AC) USN.
Old July 10th 07, 07:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Thomas A. Hoffer

Yes. the NAO/Flight Meteorologist Wings is still an official uniform item.

Nowadays it is mostly worn by USN intelligence officers assigned to a VQ or
VPU squadron assigned duties involving flying. They neither pilot nor
navigate. They simply do their "intel thing." There is, of course, a
qualification curriculum covering flight familiarization and safety and they
are entitled to flight pay while in flight status. However, they are not
career flight personnel and serve normally one tour in that type of
assignment. Enlisted may also wear the NAO wings performing similar duties
and receive flight pay.

Also, as a young kid I remember a few marine corps artillery officers
wearing these wings. They had done a tour in an observation squadron (VMO)
directing fires from above, much like their aviator brothers who walked down
below amongst the grunts directing air strikes.

Old July 10th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
R. Scott

"Thomas A. Hoffer" wrote in message
. ..
Yes. the NAO/Flight Meteorologist Wings is still an official uniform item.

Nowadays it is mostly worn by USN intelligence officers assigned to a VQ
or VPU squadron assigned duties involving flying. They neither pilot nor
navigate. They simply do their "intel thing." There is, of course, a
qualification curriculum covering flight familiarization and safety and
they are entitled to flight pay while in flight status. However, they are
not career flight personnel and serve normally one tour in that type of
assignment. Enlisted may also wear the NAO wings performing similar duties
and receive flight pay.

That explains it.

Old July 15th 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Tom Clarke

"R. Scott" wrote in message
From what I remember and what I can read they are no longer issued and the
NFO came out in 1968. Yet I see a website where someone claiming to be a
commander and being commissioned in 82 wearing A/O wings on his uniform.
In my limited 16 year career (med disch not retired) I never once seen
them.

Plus a lot of his other pictures and stuff don't add up.

Like his pictures of VP31 A/C deployed overseas, Course I was in VP31 and
don't remember them deploying all over the world they seemed to train a
lot of people though .

Thanks in advanced for answering the query

Rick Scott
Fmr USN AE1 and Aircrew

Hey Scotty!

This is Tom from Rota days! The NAO wings are still in the book, at least
they were a couple of years ago, when we had a female Aviation Physiologist
qualify for them at VX-20 when I was working in Ops. You don't see them
very often though.

VP-31 was the west coast RAG for the P-3, so except for nav trainers there
probably wasn't much "deploying" going on.

I lost my medical last year due to a bypass operation and finally had to
quit flying the Herk! I now work for NavAir in the Airworthiness shop doing
NATOPS manuals. Not as much fun, but I get to go to a lot of NATOPS
conferences and tell sea stories!

What are you up to?

73 Tom EA7BXP

Old July 15th 07, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
R. Scott

Hey Scotty!

This is Tom from Rota days! The NAO wings are still in the book, at least
they were a couple of years ago, when we had a female Aviation Physiologist
qualify for them at VX-20 when I was working in Ops. You don't see them
very often though.

VP-31 was the west coast RAG for the P-3, so except for nav trainers there
probably wasn't much "deploying" going on.

I lost my medical last year due to a bypass operation and finally had to
quit flying the Herk! I now work for NavAir in the Airworthiness shop doing
NATOPS manuals. Not as much fun, but I get to go to a lot of NATOPS
conferences and tell sea stories!

What are you up to?

73 Tom EA7BXP

Besides Getting old ... ... Well Still working Avionics Design at
Boeing, but now they call me Project Manager. Which I think means what
ever my boss doesn't want to deal with hits my desk. Im also doing
System Description Docs for the MMA and the 747-8 for the Auto
throttle/Thrust Management system. 8 more years and I can hang em up.

Ken is now 28 and in the Army in Germany ... Crystal is 26 and married
to an army dude in Germany. Both son and Son-in-law are headed to sand
box later. 2nd tour for inlaw first one for the son.

Diane still working at Albertson (major food store) she not book keeping
just enjoying being a Checker.

Sorry to hear of grounding ... and the Bypass. Told you those Greasy
things you ate in Rota would get to you ...

still doing ham lots of it. Im W7PSK now. N7HJ wasnt much of a call
and dint feel like it was ever mine. But since im on PSK31 80% of the
time i took the vanity call. you can find me on 14.070 till the cycle
picks up then Ill move up to 15 and/or 10.

Wife and I do a lot of traveling with a Good Sam club now. We have a
little 28ft Travel Trailer I tow with a 3/4 ton dodge diesel. Will move
to a 5th wheel some day and travel more.

Hope to hear from you.

me email here is a spamtrap but I can check it. I can get you real one
of you want

Send an email to me at w7psk at w7psk dot net and Ill get yours.

Scotty W7PSK
Former USN A/C

Question about wings on Continental Airlines plane? [email protected] Piloting 5 December 13th 06 02:50 AM
Wings question Robert M. Gary Piloting 4 August 31st 06 06:13 AM
Ceconite Wings Question Captain Wubba Owning 14 October 15th 04 07:55 PM
Internal Wings - The future of aviation? Roger Long Piloting 21 December 31st 03 09:47 PM
Runway observer Jim Culp Soaring 8 August 20th 03 04:33 AM