HMAS Melbourne vs. USS Constellation in RIMPAC 1980

Old August 29th 10, 07:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
KDR

Default HMAS Melbourne vs. USS Constellation in RIMPAC 1980

Nobuyoshi Koremoto, an ex-skipper of JDS Amatsukaze that participated
in RIMPAC 1980, wrote in the August 2010 issue of the Ship of the
World that in the 1980 exercise a flight of Australian A-4G Skyhawks
from HMAS Melbourne playing an 'Orange' force carrier attacked USS
Constellation, which was assessed to be 'heavily damaged'. Does
anybody know more about this or similar carrier vs. carrier exercises
played between a light carrier and a big US carrier?
Old August 29th 10, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Bill Kambic[_2_]

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 23:18:55 -0700 (PDT), KDR
wrote:

Nobuyoshi Koremoto, an ex-skipper of JDS Amatsukaze that participated
in RIMPAC 1980, wrote in the August 2010 issue of the Ship of the
World that in the 1980 exercise a flight of Australian A-4G Skyhawks
from HMAS Melbourne playing an 'Orange' force carrier attacked USS
Constellation, which was assessed to be 'heavily damaged'. Does
anybody know more about this or similar carrier vs. carrier exercises
played between a light carrier and a big US carrier?

Such exercises were not unusual. In the very, long ago (early 1970s)
I was part of drill that had S-2s simulating Bears with cruise
missles. We flew at high speed (200kts or so, fast for Stoof) and had
an A-4 from VSF-1 in formation as our "missle." We would fly an
"attack profile" and launch our "missle." We were actually
"successful" a couple of times. :-)

We also worked with British and French carriers both as opponents and
allies. Sometimes the attacks suceeded, sometimes they didn't.
Counterstikes were sometimes successful, and some not.

Old September 1st 10, 10:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
KDR

wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply.

A poster at http://warships1discussionboards.yuku.com/topic/14223 says
the Aussie carrier managed this feat by hiding in a weather system to
get inside Connie's surveillance perimeter.