"center" or "approach" - why important

Old February 8th 05, 03:31 PM
Gary Drescher

"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, I haven't used it with Center and Approach, but when I don't know
which Fligh****ch I am going to get (almost always 122.2), I say
"S&ch*%##prtzer Fligh****ch, this is November 6 3 Charlie Tango". That
way, ya can't go wrong :-) Always good to be able to imitate static at
appropriate times. Good technique to master :-)

But wait, low-altitude Fligh****ch (EFAS) is 122.0, not 122.2. The latter is
a typical FSS frequency, and should be addressed as XYZ Radio, not XYZ
Fligh****ch. Of course, you could cover all your bases by starting with
"S&ch*%##prtzer FR&ch*%##prtzer , ...".

--Gary

Old February 8th 05, 04:01 PM

Next time, just say "Atlanta". When they respond, they'll tell you
whether they are Approach or Center (they always know).

Simplifies things.

On 8 Feb 2005 06:26:41 -0800, wrote:

Thanks to all for the input. I guess the bottom line is that
communication is more efficient when the right name is given with every
call, so it's worth taking time to straighten things out right away.

Old February 8th 05, 08:23 PM
Icebound

"Dave Butler" wrote in message
Icebound wrote:
"Dave Butler" wrote in message

It's his air time. He can waste it at his discretion.

If you were handed off, he knew you were coming, he knew you were on the
right freq. Not clear what his motivation was in making the correction,
but it really doesn't matter why he chose to make the correction.

Actually, I would think it WOULD be important. There are a lot of
aircraft on, or coming on, the frequency. If they hear you continue to
call "Centre" instead of "Approach", some one of them is going to waste
time trying to figure out if he is on the right frequency, and will
perhaps leave it (incorrectly).

I don't think we are disagreeing. I assume you mean "It would be important
for the controller to make the correction." and not "It would be important
for us to know why he chose to make the correction."

Well, I was thinking more along the line of: "it would be important for us
to call the controller by the correct identification", hence "It would be
important for the controller to make the correction.", and for us to comply.

Old February 9th 05, 06:30 AM
Alan Pendley

Good idea! Doesn't work everywhere, though: e.g., SoCal Approach and LA
Center, and NorCal Approach and Oakland Center.

Alan Pendley

PP - ASEL - IA

Commercial Student

Hawthorne Muni, CA