Problem requesting Plastic Certificate via Web

Old March 8th 10, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JPMarks

Default Problem requesting Plastic Certificate via Web

When I try to apply for a plastic certificate at FAA wwbsite, I get
following message

I have a Glide only rating.

"THIS CERTIFICATE IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR RENEWAL ONLINE RATINGS # 214"

Has anyone else had this problem

Jim Marks

Old March 8th 10, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Whatcott

JPMarks wrote:
When I try to apply for a plastic certificate at FAA wwbsite, I get
following message

I have a Glide only rating.

"THIS CERTIFICATE IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR RENEWAL ONLINE RATINGS # 214"

Has anyone else had this problem

Jim Marks

Yes. With three weeks to go, your options are limited.
You might try calling your local FSDO.

Brian W
Old March 9th 10, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Myles

On Mar 8, 3:07 pm, JPMarks wrote:
When I try to apply for a plastic certificate at FAA wwbsite, I get
following message

I have a Glide only rating.

"THIS CERTIFICATE IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR RENEWAL ONLINE RATINGS # 214"

Has anyone else had this problem

Jim Marks

Yes. I ended up printing out the form (found somewhere on the FAA
website) and mailing it in.

Myles
Old March 9th 10, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Byars[_2_]

I had that exact same problem. Find the contact number on the website
and then give them a call and explain the situation. In my case the
person I talked to knew exactly what the issue was and reset something
on their computer system. After that I tried it again and renewed my
license without problem. I received my replacement in just over a
week.

You can save $2 by requesting a license w/o your social security
number on it. If you do that, it is free.

Don't call your FSDO, they will refer you to OK City.

Guy Byars

Old March 9th 10, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT[_3_]

"Guy Byars" wrote in message
I had that exact same problem. Find the contact number on the website
and then give them a call and explain the situation. In my case the
person I talked to knew exactly what the issue was and reset something
on their computer system. After that I tried it again and renewed my
license without problem. I received my replacement in just over a
week.

You can save $2 by requesting a license w/o your social security
number on it. If you do that, it is free.

Don't call your FSDO, they will refer you to OK City.

Guy Byars

Provided your current paper certificate has your SSN on it.
If it does not have your SSN, then no freebees..

BT

Old March 9th 10, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

About a month or so ago, Frank Paynter posted the followng he

"I wound up calling the FAA Airman Certificate Office at (866)
878-2498, waiting interminably until I got to an actual human, who
then immediately removed the rating(s) from my record. Then I was
able to go through the web process, pay my $2.00 via credit card, and
get my plastic certificate.

Note that if you call the ACB and select menu choice 1 -- 2
("Information regarding replacement of your airman certificate...."),
you will suffer through a long explanation, and then be directed to
the FAA website, without ever having the opportunity to talk to a
human. You must instead choose 1 -- 1 ("Info concerning date of
issue currently being processed..."), suffer through the interminable
wait, and then tell the human what you want."

When I did it, I spoke with Amy. It took her all of 10 seconds typing
something and it made it so my Private Pilot Glider Air Tow Only
certificate could now be replaced on line. Tell them you get Error
Code #214, and they will fix you right up. My total phone call was
probably less than 2 minutes, and my plastic certificat arrived in
less than 10 days. Oh, and mine had my SS number, so my replacement
was free!

Good luck!

Steve Leonard
Old March 10th 10, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Mar 8, 6:59*pm, Steve Leonard wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Steve! It worked exactly as advertised.

Tom
Old March 24th 10, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Whatcott

Default Problem requesting Plastic Certificate via Web Overcome

JPMarks wrote:

When I try to apply for a plastic certificate at FAA wwbsite, I get
following message

I have a Glide only rating.

"THIS CERTIFICATE IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR RENEWAL ONLINE RATINGS # 214"

Has anyone else had this problem

Jim Marks

I hope you were able to hold for the Airman Certification person
who could amend the filed data to allow on-line upgrading.

In my case; with an ancient FAA PPL on the basis of a UK PPL, I had to
go to plan B, with less than a month left on my old PPL until the end of
March expiration date - an FAA PPL from scratch. I had the hours. But I
needed the PPL written which took several days revision to make a 90%
grade ( and a $150 fee) Then I talked to a Pilot Examiner from a local
FSDO ( A Lubbock based Rep was closer than the Oke city reps) She wanted
me to take several flight hours of refreshers, then an Oral and a Flight
Test. ($160 + $300).

So now I'm good to go, and $600 plus lighter, with another 7 or 8 hours
on my engine and airframe, and 2 vacation days burned up....

Brian W