UK two-seater fleet

Old September 21st 10, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Thomson

Default UK two-seater fleet

The threads on the Blanik AD and Club Training Gliders made me wonder about
the make-up of the UK fleet. A quick search of the UK civil register
produced the following numbers:
ASK13 101 aircraft
ASK21 73
Duo Discus 45
G103 29
Puchacz 27
DG500 22
K7 17
DG1000 10
Blanik L13 9 (plus one L23)
Bocian 8
PW-6 3

For information on other types, or more details on the above, go to the
G-INFO database at
http:/www.caa.co.uk

If you want information on antiques such as the T21 or the T49 Capstan you
will have to ask the BGA. These old aircraft are not on the main
register.

Note that not all these gliders are used for club training. Some,
notably recent high performance and elderly wooden ones, are privately
owned and are used for recreational flying only.

This may explain the UK views on training and the grounding of the Blaniks

Old September 21st 10, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Sep 21, 9:23*am, James Thomson
wrote:
[...]

Does this include or exclude the RAF clubs' gliders?

TIA,

Frank Whiteley
Old September 21st 10, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Thomson

At 15:54 21 September 2010, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Sep 21, 9:23=A0am, James Thomson
wrote:
The threads on the Blanik AD and Club Training Gliders made me wonder

abo=
ut
the make-up of the UK fleet. =A0 A quick search of the UK civil

register
produced the following numbers:
ASK13 =A0 101 aircraft
ASK21 =A0 73
Duo Discus =A0 45
G103 =A0 29
Puchacz =A0 27
DG500 =A0 22
K7 =A0 17
DG1000 =A0 10
Blanik L13 =A0 9 (plus one L23)
Bocian =A0 8
PW-6 =A0 3

For information on other types, or more details on the above, go to

the
G-INFO database at
http:/www.caa.co.uk

If you want information on antiques such as the T21 or the T49 Capstan

yo=
will have to ask the BGA. =A0 These old aircraft are not on the main
register.

Note that not all these gliders are used for club training. =A0 Some,
notably recent high performance and elderly wooden ones, are privately
owned and are used for recreational flying only.

This may explain the UK views on training and the grounding of the

Blanik=

Does this include or exclude the RAF clubs' gliders?

TIA,

Frank Whiteley

It appears to include all the RAFGSA aircraft, these had previously been
added to the BGA register. It does not include the G103s etc used by the
Air Cadets - they carry military markings.

Old September 21st 10, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

It includes gliders used by the Royal Air Force Gliding and Soaring
Association but does not include approx 90 Grob 103 Acros operated by the
RAF for the Air Cadets. The latter are outside the civil register
entirely.
The main 2 seat gliders used for training in the UK a

ASK21
Grob 103
ASK13
Puchacz

the others mentioned above are used and in addition there are a few
Slingsby T53 (YS53) tin birds in private hands. As far as the UK is
concerned the loss of the Blanik is not a problem.
I have heard the view expressed over here, by those who should know, that
the chances of a fix for the Blanik being approved are pretty remote.

Old September 22nd 10, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Sep 22, 3:23*am, James Thomson
wrote:
The threads on the Blanik AD and Club Training Gliders made me wonder about
the make-up of the UK fleet. * A quick search of the UK civil register
produced the following numbers:
ASK13 * 101 aircraft
ASK21 * 73
Duo Discus * 45
G103 * 29
Puchacz * 27
DG500 * 22
K7 * 17
DG1000 * 10
Blanik L13 * 9 (plus one L23)
Bocian * 8
PW-6 * 3

NZ looks a bit different:

Blanik: 11
Grob G103(A): 10
Duo Discus: 11
ASH25: 8
Grob Twin Astir: 7
ASK13: 6
K7: 5
Janus: 5
DG-1000: 3
Puchacz: 3
ASK21: 2
PW-6: 2
Stemme: 2
Grob G109: 2
DG500: 1

By far the most numerous are the various flavours of Grobs, followed
by Blanik and Duo.

A lot (all?) of the Duos are privately owned or used for commercial
rides not training.

The DG1000s are all club owned and used for training, as of course are
most or all of the K7, ASK13, Blanik and Grobs.
Old September 22nd 10, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

wrote:
[...]

I believe the largest single fleet of Duo in the world is at Glide
Omarama (6 according to their web site and add in a ASH-25 and other
more mundane gliders) and I'd count all those as for training -
advanced XC not primary, but its training.

Darryl
Old September 22nd 10, 01:08 PM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Hoult View Post
wrote:
[...]

Make that 4 Janus. One was totalled a while ago. Pilot and passenger essentially walked away. Left a wing up a tree and fuse went between trees. Doubtful that it will be fixed to my mind.

Add a Nimbus 3d to the list. To be used for advanced X/C traing

Colin
Old September 22nd 10, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
libelle40

On 22/09/2010 01:23, James Thomson wrote:
The threads on the Blanik AD and Club Training Gliders made me wonder about
the make-up of the UK fleet. A quick search of the UK civil register
produced the following numbers:
ASK13 101 aircraft
ASK21 73
Duo Discus 45
G103 29
Puchacz 27
DG500 22
K7 17
DG1000 10
Blanik L13 9 (plus one L23)
Bocian 8
PW-6 3

This may explain the UK views on training and the grounding of the Blaniks

The Oz figures, from a similar quick look a
Blanik 60
Grob 103 27
IS-28 21
K7 15
K21 15
Puchacz 12
Janus 12
Duo Discus 12
K13 10
KR-03 6
Bocian 6
Orion 4
Bergfalke 4
DG-1000 3
PW-6 2
SGU 2-22 1

This may explain our view about the grounding of Blaniks.

Few of the K7s, Bocian and Duo are used for training.

GC

F-16 Two Seater Canuck[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 September 3rd 08 03:40 PM
two seater BD5 Philippe Vessaire Home Built 6 October 28th 07 06:28 PM
WTB 2 seater L/S Nav Sleigh Soaring 0 June 11th 06 06:50 PM
WTB L/S Nav 2 Seater Sleigh Soaring 0 May 20th 06 08:28 PM
4-seater Nyal Williams Soaring 54 November 29th 04 11:53 AM