Mini-500 parts selling on eBay

Old July 21st 05, 09:38 PM
planeman

Default Mini-500 parts selling on eBay

I see Mini-500 helicopters selling on eBay, but much less these days.
Is there someone in the marketplace that can sell me parts if I was
compelled to buy the incomplete one selling now?

Old July 22nd 05, 03:18 AM
Ron Snipes

Roger that "Other Kevin". They have taken out some high-time pilots. The
engine has been known to Seize, which also makes your rotor not turn. This
makes an autorotation extremely difficult.

Some words just don't go together in a sentence, like "Affordable" and or
"Cheap" and "Helicopter". Mini 500 buyers are lured by Affordable and Cheap.

I have a htm file that was a several year study of Mini-500 accidents.
Pretty interesting read. One in particular, the ship caught on fire when the
owner went inside his house to get something. He thinks his Crescent wrench
slipped off the ship and fell on the battery causing it to short out and
catch fire. Totalling the ship. Then they make the statement "the ship had
been for sale for quite a while".

I have never flown a Mini 500.
Ron Snipes
New Bern, NC

oups.com...

Old July 22nd 05, 05:04 PM
planeman

You know, I should have known better than to ask a simple question
here, and to get a simple answer back. I read all the hype about the
Mini-500, and I see right through the bullstuff. I just wanted to know
if there was anyone else besides who I know that is selling parts,
besides thieves. I didn't want to dig up old hysteria.

Never mind.

Old July 22nd 05, 05:22 PM
Shiver

planeman wrote:

Never mind.

With all due respect to you sir ..... what do you expect.

You breeze in here for the first time and ask a question about
the Mini 500 that to many people does not make sense.

Is there someone in the marketplace that can sell me parts
if I was compelled to buy the incomplete one selling now?

I don't understant what your talking about.

if I was compelled to buy the incomplete one selling now?

What the hell do you mean by that statement.

And just what do you expect from people in this group,
a blanket endorsement, or perhaps a bootlicking.

With the reputation that the Mini 500 has hanging over it's head your
damn rights people are going to point out the obvious to a newcomer
that floats in here for a day or two. Especially when they don't
explain themselves very well.

If your that ignorant that you can't understand the obvious then don't
let the door hit you on the way out of the newsgroup.
Old July 22nd 05, 06:41 PM
planeman

What a prime example of humanity, you must be proud of yourself.
YOU are why I don't post on newsgroups!

Old July 22nd 05, 06:49 PM
Dennis Fetters

Dear Ron,
Thank you for trying to help contribute to the Mini-500 history, but I'm
afraid you have posted some statements that are not accurate. Please
allow me to help:

Ron Snipes wrote:

Roger that "Other Kevin". They have taken out some high-time pilots.

The fact of the matter is that no Mini-500 has crashed due to improper
design or bad flight characteristics. The only accidents have strictly
been from pilot error, improper assembly or owner modifications. As all
helicopters ever designed and flying, the Mini-500 has had a few
problems from design oversights on my part, but none has caused an
accident, and all were corrected and the upgrades made available to the
owners for free or at our cost.

The high-time pilot you may be referring to was Allen Barklage in St.
Louis MO. The facts behind that is he had seized his engine a week or so
before, due to him installing the wrong engine jetting. After seizing
the engine, he installed the proper jets and restarted the engine and
began flying the helicopter again, without repairing the engine. The day
of the crash, the helicopter still had the same damaged engine. He took
off, and rather climbing to a safe altitude to clear a power line
complex, he flew just feet over the top. The engine finally failed, and
Allen tried to autorotate the helicopter to the other side. The distance
was to great, and the helicopter blades stalled and nosed into the
ground. No helicopter built with a single engine could have made the
distance. Pilot error.

The engine has been known to Seize, which also makes your rotor not turn.
This makes an autorotation extremely difficult.

True, the engine has seized, but only to improper jetting, low octane
fuel or improper maintenance. No Mini-500 Rotax engine has just failed
due to the engine design, demand or application.

I don't know who told you the rotors would not turn if the engine quits.
That is not true. If the engine quits, or is powered back at any time,
the clutch will immediately allow the rotor system to continue turning,
allowing for full autorotation capability. In fact, the Mini-500
auturotated as well or better than most helicopters, as demonstrated at
air shows all over the world, and by customers that built and operated
Mini-500's according to factory specifications.

Some words just don't go together in a sentence, like "Affordable" and or
"Cheap" and "Helicopter". Mini 500 buyers are lured by Affordable and Cheap.

Correct. People in general have no business building helicopters. I was
a fool to think so.

I have a htm file that was a several year study of Mini-500 accidents.
Pretty interesting read.

So do I. In fact, we did a complete study up to the point where we
closed the doors, and even posted the accident report here on the
newsgroups for all to see. I will post it here again separately from
this post.

One in particular, the ship caught on fire when the
owner went inside his house to get something. He thinks his Crescent wrench
slipped off the ship and fell on the battery causing it to short out and
catch fire. Totalling the ship. Then they make the statement "the ship had
been for sale for quite a while".

That is true, but you forgot to mention that this owner had dowsed his
Mini with a highly flammable solvent, and while he was in the house
making a phone call in the middle of his cleaning operation, that is
when the wrench left inside the engine compartment mysteriously fell on
the battery contacts. One more thing, he had full insurance coverage
worth twice what the aircraft was worth, and he got paid.

His Mini-500 had been for sale, and he was asking way to much. It was
insured for twice as much as what he could have sold it for outright.
I'm glad you see through it too.

I have never flown a Mini 500.

Thank you for qualifying your statements. There is nothing wrong with
commenting on a helicopter you have no experience with, but still, the
statements need to be corrected. I hope I have helped your better
understanding on the topic.

As for the guy that originally asked the question about places to buy
Mini-500 parts, no, there is nowhere to purchase parts. I might add that
this is a good thing. Even if you could buy parts, the Mini-500 should
not be flown without a factory that continues to flight test and keeps
track of ongoing issues common to all helicopters operating.

Most sincerely,

Dennis Fetters

Old July 22nd 05, 06:58 PM
planeman

As for the guy that originally asked the question about places to buy
Mini-500 parts, no, there is nowhere to purchase parts.

Most sincerely,

Dennis Fetters

THANK YOU!!!
That is all I wanted to know!
I wish everyone else could have been as polite and helpful.
I'm going back under my rock.

Regards, Larry

Old July 22nd 05, 11:02 PM
B4RT

"planeman" wrote in message
oups.com...
I see Mini-500 helicopters selling on eBay, but much less these days.
Is there someone in the marketplace that can sell me parts if I was
compelled to buy the incomplete one selling now?

Despite what you may read below. This is a dnagerous machine.
So unless you have 1000+ hours or rotorcraft time and know enough
to know why youd want to put yourself in peril, take you money and
invest it in training in a non-experimental helicopter.

Bart

Old July 22nd 05, 11:48 PM
Cumulous

planeman wrote:
As for the guy that originally asked the question about places to buy
Mini-500 parts, no, there is nowhere to purchase parts.

Most sincerely,

Dennis Fetters

THANK YOU!!!
That is all I wanted to know!
I wish everyone else could have been as polite and helpful.

And Fetters has been extremely threatening and abusive too. His comments
are always self-serving, the style just depends on what he's after at
the moment. Don't be gullible.

I'm going back under my rock.

You should stick around. The replies you got from Kevin, Shriver, and
Ron were aimed at keeping you alive, that's all.

Regards, Larry

There was a rollover CH-7 Angel being parted out on eBay recently, did
you see that? A *much* safer bet.
Old July 23rd 05, 02:20 AM
Beav

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On 21 Jul 2005 13:38:24 -0700, "planeman"
wrote:

I see Mini-500 helicopters selling on eBay, but much less these days.
Is there someone in the marketplace that can sell me parts if I was
compelled to buy the incomplete one selling now?

Dunno ow accurate the posts in this group have been over the past
years, but you might want to do a little digging on the 'net before
you dive into a Mini 500.. They don't have the best of reputations..

Ahhh, but the illustrious Mr Fetters will be along shortly to set the record
straight. then everyone will rush out and buy a 500.

--
Beav

Reply to "beavis dot original at ntlworld dot com" (with the obvious
changes)

Selling on Ebay Jay Honeck Piloting 34 May 28th 04 06:29 PM
Selling my Garmin Pilot III Aviation GPS and MORE on ebay Cecil E. Chapman Products 0 January 29th 04 01:44 AM
Airplane Parts on Ebay Vac Reg Valves, Fuel Floats, O-200 Spider, Fuel Injection Valve Bill Berle Home Built 0 January 26th 04 08:48 AM
Airplane Parts on Ebay Vac Reg Valves, Fuel Floats, O-200 Spider, Fuel Injection Valve Bill Berle Aviation Marketplace 0 January 26th 04 08:48 AM
Airplane Parts on Ebay Vac Reg Valves, Fuel Floats, O-200 Spider, Fuel Injection Valve Bill Berle Owning 0 January 26th 04 08:48 AM