Groen Bros. DARPA Award

Old November 19th 05, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default Gyro's was Groen Bros. DARPA Award

"boB" wrote in message

Thanks Steve. That sounds like two forces working against each other. That
doesn't seem to be efficient as far as strain on the systems. Something
similar on my Sprint II with the engine and prop above the vertical CG. If
the engine quits or even when throttling down the nose pops up which
screwed up my landings early on. I had been fixed on the RAF2000 but
hadn't really looked at the competition before. I appreciate all the
advice.

boB,
SAG 70

Your welcome Bob! You're right, these forces are working against each
other, and not in a good way. Designs like this have been flown for years
and there are still people out there that insist that it's perfectly safe.
They may have learned to deal with it but the unfortunate fact is that too
many people have died because of the high thrust line designs that didn't
have to.

Personally, I wouldn't touch an RAF2000 with a 10 foot pole but the Groen
Bros version of it looks like a very nice alternative if you've really got
your heart set on a fully enclosed cabin. Of the more open designs around,
I'm really impressed with the Air Command. They are one of the few kit
manufacturers that had the guts and integrity to completely redesign their
gyros when it finally became clear what the high thrust line issues were
doing to the aircrafts stability. They don't sell anything now that's not
centerline thrust and they offer a very reasonable upgrade kit for those who
still have the older high thrust line gyros sitting in the barn. They also
issued, if I'm not mistaken, and air worthiness directive to all owners of
the old high thrust line machines, advising them to "not" fly until it's
been converted to centerline thrust!

Are you familiar with the PRA (Popular Rotorcraft Association)? They can be
found at www.pra.org and are a great source of info on experimental gyros
and helicopters. Also, check out this forum if you're not already familiar
with it,

http://www.rotaryforum.com/index.php

Lots of really great people and good information. Just be aware that the
gyro folks can be, shall we say, "passionate," about their machines so it
sometimes helps to have a thick skin around there. ;-)

Best of luck,
Steve R.

Old November 20th 05, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Steve R wrote:

Lots of really great people and good information. Just be aware that the
gyro folks can be, shall we say, "passionate," about their machines so it
sometimes helps to have a thick skin around there. ;-)

Best of luck,
Steve R.

Thanks Steve. I really hope someday to fly again. Until then I have a
lot of time to research. I'm very glad I found you all.
--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Old November 26th 05, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default Groen Bros. DARPA Award

Because for $749,000.00, I can buy two working helicopters that will do
what the Hawk 4 will do plus hover. ; )

U.S. Air Force award of four rocket launches this year is likely to be delayed Larry Dighera Military Aviation 15 May 14th 04 01:58 PM
Groen Bros. Al Colunio Rotorcraft 6 May 8th 04 02:22 AM
WINGS: When do the clocks start ticking? Andrew Gideon Piloting 6 February 3rd 04 04:01 PM
Air Force announces small diameter bomb contract award Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 October 9th 03 09:52 PM
Army officer recieves Tuskegee Airman Award Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 August 21st 03 09:15 PM