Ear Protection for Dogs

Old December 19th 03, 04:06 PM
Ross Richardson

Try this. I saw at an fly-in

http://www.eaa323.org/e060802/I58.jpg

Shirley wrote:

Does anyone know where to purchase ear protection for dogs being taken in
single-engine airplanes? It supposedly exists, but I haven't been able to
locate it. Would appreciate any/all help.

--Shirley

Old December 19th 03, 04:10 PM
Shirley

"John Harlow" wrote:

Their pireps always describe the ride as "rough".

LOL! Good one!

Yeah, I know their bark is equally loud, but I think if I had to hear myself
scream for an hour or two non-stop, it might be unpleasant for my ears, too!

I know some veterinarians say it's not a worry ... my concern is more for the
comfort of the dog, as clearly some handle the noise fine and some hate it,
fear it, whatever.

Thanks for the laugh.
--Shirley

Old December 19th 03, 04:42 PM
Shirley

Ross Richardson wrote:

Try this. I saw at an fly-in

http://www.eaa323.org/e060802/I58.jpg

Yes! That's what was described to me. Wonder if that was "homebuilt" or
purchased? do you know? I know some dogs would hate to wear it, feel
self-conscious and all that (!!), but mine is a real Attention Brat, she loves
wearing the latest thing! Seriously, she may tolerate the noise fine, but I'd
feel better if I at least made some attempt to protect her ears.

Thanks for posting the pic.
--Shirley

Old December 19th 03, 05:00 PM
Newps

Shirley wrote:

I know some veterinarians say it's not a worry ... my concern is more for the
comfort of the dog, as clearly some handle the noise fine and some hate it,
fear it, whatever.

You won't hurt your dogs hearing. As for the comfort level you have to
handle that like anything else. You do it like trainers train hunting
dogs and gunfire. You start blasting while the dog is right there you
may create a gun shy dog. You have to start gradually with low noises
while the dog is engaged in something else, gradually getting louder
until you can fire right over your dogs head. So put the dog in the
plane and taxi around at idle, gradually increasing power. Maybe a few
high speed taxiis down the runway.

Old December 19th 03, 05:16 PM
Peter Duniho

"Judah" wrote in message
"3 out of 5 veterinarians don't recommend hearing protection for dogs in
airplanes..."

Well, to be fair, I have no idea what a scientifically valid survey of vets
would turn up. It was three of three of vets I consulted. But it's
entirely possible those are the only three vets in the world who don't
recommend hearing protection.

Unlikely as hell. But possible.

Pete

Old December 19th 03, 06:14 PM
Rich

you got that right, and people happily spend tons of $ on their pets.
I know someone that just forked over $100 for a bark translator...

Rich

You know, given the number of questions this topic generates, some
entrepreneur ought to be all over this.....

Old December 19th 03, 06:29 PM
Michael 182

"Rich" wrote in message
om...
you got that right, and people happily spend tons of $ on their pets.
I know someone that just forked over $100 for a bark translator...

"Food! Food! FOOD!"

Occasionally, "Let me out."

"Food! Food! FOOD!"

Michael

Old December 19th 03, 06:36 PM
Dave

John Harlow wrote:

Dogs bark at what - 400 decibels?

Yes. And according to larsen, they're yelling "HEY"
Old December 19th 03, 06:58 PM
Chris Hoffmann

"Blanche" wrote in message
sound-deadening enclosure for your pet

hm...interesting. but if it reduces the sound to a reasonable
level, how would air flow be affected?

Air flow would be affected, but I'm pretty sure it could be done without
causing suffocation. However, to do this would likely involve rigging up a
source of air directly from outside, hence the "getting out of hand"
comment.
I'm not the best handyman, though. Someone with decent mechanical skills
might think such a thing would be a snap to build.

Twin nose protection Jim Burns Owning 5 January 4th 05 07:18 PM
Soverignty Protection Fighter Charles Talleyrand Military Aviation 11 July 19th 04 11:56 PM
Leading edge protection search Tim Hickey Home Built 0 June 28th 04 02:45 AM
How much protection on approach? Michael Instrument Flight Rules 20 January 15th 04 05:58 PM
Ear Protection for Dogs Shirley General Aviation 1 December 19th 03 10:12 PM