Big Iron pilot made young boys day!

Old April 13th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Big Iron pilot made young boys day!

Just a thanks to ALL pilots that make a young person's dreams come true.

2 years ago I took my 8 year old nephew for his first airplane ride for
his birthday. We even gave him a small logbook to document the occasion
and logged his flight as a passenger. While at the FBO a B-767 Captain
who was getting checked out in one of the club's airplanes told him "If
you fly on an airliner, bring that with you. They might sign it if you
ask. I know I would." Since that day he's flown with me twice and
brought the log book and had me sign it.

Last week he flew across the country on a commercial airliner, with a
layover on the way out and the way home. His Mom told me that he
reached in his backpack and took out the logbook. When the flight
attendant asked if he wanted anything he asked if the pilot would sign
his logbook for him and was told "I'll check." A while later she
brought his logbook back. In it was the aircraft model, route, time
(estimated I suppose) and an airline pilot's signature. He got this
accomplished on both legs on the way out and again on the way home. But
when they landed at home he was asked if he wanted to meet the Captain
and see the cockpit! He got a nice tour of the cockpit and they handed
his logbook back to him. His response was "SWEET!" I haven't seen the
logbook yet but will this weekend, he wants to show it to me.

I just wanted to thank all my fellow pilots who have ever in some way
given a child a special aviation moment or did something that made them
say "SWEET!"
Old April 13th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Chris Ehlbeck" wrote in message
. ..
Just a thanks to ALL pilots that make a young person's dreams come true.

SNIP

Chris,

Great, great, great story!!

I know for a fact that I fly today because "back in the day" some ATP took
the time to do something similar for me when I was a child.

BTW, it doesn't end with adulthood. Just a couple of months ago, I was in
1st class on an AmWest flight with my AOPA hat on, the Capt noticed it and
after some happy chat, asked me if I'd like to see the flight deck of the
757 that is painted up in AZ Cardinals colors. I damn near killed the guy
next to me bolting out of my seat.

Got to sit in the left seat and had a really nice 20-25 minute BS session
with the FO as he was finishing up entering data into the FMS.

Who me? Grow Up?? Never!!

Thanks for sharing the tale.

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL (and child at heart...)
Chandler, AZ

Old April 14th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Beckman" wrote in message
[...]

Indeed - I'm glad the tradition lives on! I still have my "BOAC Junior Jet
Club Log Book" logging my flight from London to KORD on a Super VC-10 (23
Jan 1972, seat 12A!) I'd sure like to know what became of Capt. signature
unreadable... I believe I also got a cockpit tour in flight at age 11!

Bruce Riggs
KADS

Old April 14th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Look at me way up high,
Suddenly here am I
I'm flyyyyyyyyying..."

All you need is some pixie dust and happy thoughts...

Or a bunch of cash for books, charts, and lessons...

"Jay Beckman" wrote in

Old April 14th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Thanx Chris, reminds me of my first ever flight... not that I remember it
but my mother told the story so many times that I'll never forget it.

It was a MAT "Military Air Transport" flight from Dow AFB Maine to Tokyo
Japan, with lots of layovers.. and every time the cockpit door opened I was
"rubbernecking" to see what was inside. Eventually I got a cockpit tour..
and as my Mom says.. I never quit looking at and watching airplanes.. yes I
was an AF Brat growing up.

Now at the age of 50, a 20+ AF flying career completed, and almost 33 years
as a civilian pilot... still flying.. and instructing.. I still love taking
that kid on his first ever ride.. and letting him fly the airplane...or
glider.

Thanx for the memories.

BT

Old April 14th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Very cool story Chris. Nice to know that you can be part of the
memories that may lead your nephew into flying.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old April 14th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Beckman wrote:

Got to sit in the left seat and had a really nice 20-25 minute BS session
with the FO as he was finishing up entering data into the FMS.

First all the military hardware, now this. Where does it end Jay? Very
cool.

Who me? Grow Up?? Never!!

Well, ya, and your point is? :-)

Old April 14th 06, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

("Jack Allison" wrote)
Who me? Grow Up?? Never!!

Well, ya, and your point is? :-)

I have an older sister who recently told me to take a "great big Grow-Up
pill."

I told her not to get all cranky at me, just because she's got an AARP card
and I don't. :-)

Montblack

Old April 14th 06, 07:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jack Allison" wrote in message
Jay Beckman wrote:

Got to sit in the left seat and had a really nice 20-25 minute BS session
with the FO as he was finishing up entering data into the FMS.

First all the military hardware, now this. Where does it end Jay? Very
cool.

If only the world situation would again allow future pilots the opportunity
to see what the world *below* looks like from the "pointy part."

It's a damn shame that the term "flying fortress" has come back into our
vocabulary, not as a historic symbol, but as a term denoting the current
state of transport-catagory aviation.

Who me? Grow Up?? Never!!

Well, ya, and your point is? :-)

;O)

It is such a joy to communicate with individuals who "get it."

Regards,

Jay B

Old April 14th 06, 08:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Beckman" posted the exciting message

"Jack Allison" wrote in
message ...
Jay Beckman wrote:

Got to sit in the left seat and had a really nice 20-25 minute BS
session with the FO as he was finishing up entering data into the
FMS.

First all the military hardware, now this. Where does it end Jay?
Very cool.

If only the world situation would again allow future pilots the
opportunity to see what the world *below* looks like from the "pointy
part."

Well, when I flew KLM LAX-AMS in the late 1990's, I actually asked to
visit the flight deck (over Greenland). I had a nice chat with the
captain. This was allowed since it was not a US airline.

On another flight (circa 2000) I got to fly Virgin LAX-HHR. While
boarding with a coworker, he told me he had once ridden a landing in the
cockpit. I told him I wouldn't dare ask for that. Well we got in and sat
down in non-adjacent seats; he talked to the flight attendant, and next
thing I knew he came to me and said - "I'm riding takeoff, you're riding
landing". So he went up to the cockpit and got to sit jumpseat on a dusk
takeoff out of LAX on a 747-400. Arriving over the UK, the flight
attendant fetched me when we were at about 10K feet. I got to sit
jumpseat and even got a headset, rode the landing at Heathrow all the way
to the gate!

And here I am, just a little old Cherokee 140 pilot! Such a great
experience! I'm very greatful to my coworker, that would never happen
today. It was a once in a lifetime experience.

Prime Factor