Sun N Fun '07 Redux

Old April 23rd 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Matt Barrow[_4_]

Default Sun N Fun '07 Redux

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
24 to 32 THOUSAND???

Are you sure?

Wow.

Well, Jim, the average Cirrus pilot is paying $10 - $15K annually for
insurance, from what I've been told.

Makes my $1200/year seem positively reasonable.

What is the hull value of a Cirrus compared to your 30 some-odd year old
aircraft?

--
Matt Barrow
Performace Homes, LLC.

Old April 23rd 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Viperdoc[_4_]

The amount you stated seems high, unless you are talking about a low time,
non-instrument rated pilot, with high liability coverage and full hull.

Even considering the cost of a new plane, the hull coverage seems very high.

Old April 23rd 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote

Well, Jim, the average Cirrus pilot is paying $10 - $15K annually for
insurance, from what I've been told.

Makes my $1200/year seem positively reasonable.

I had no idea that it was so expensive to insure jets.

I have a hard time seeing how they will ever be able to get the cost down
low enough to make air taxi service with the VLJ's affordable.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 23rd 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Newps

I have a friend who owned a Citation for many years. The insurance was
$90K per year. He also owned a Caravan on amphibs, that ran $45K per
year for insurance. Another friend has a Caravan on wheels, that only
costs $35K per year.

"Jay Honeck" wrote

Old April 23rd 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt

This was my first time, and I really enjoyed meeting Jay and Mary and
soaking up my first 'big fly-in/airshow experience'.
I was only there for Thursday afternoon and all day Friday, and didn't
camp, but it's a start I think I at least managed to see every
part of the grounds with the exception of Choppertown (which required
a tram ride), including a trip out to Lake Parker for a couple of
hours.

The Piper Jet mockup was indeed there, along with lots of other VLJs
and LSAs. I agree that some of the LSAs are almost indistiguishable
from larger aircraft at a distance. It was actually a little odd
seeing them flying around with the ultralights in the pattern at
Paradise City, and at least one landing I watched by one of the
sleeker LSAs pushed the limits of the grass strip length.

I liked Cirrus' marketing scheme. They gave away T-shirts advertising
their new Generation 3 aircraft to anyone who would agree to wear them
out of the booth. I was surprised I didn't see more people wearing
them, but I think the deal was an 'open secret' as I only found out
about it by overhearing the lady at the booth talking to another
customer.

--
Allen Johnson
Raleigh, NC

Old April 23rd 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

No problem. I'll give T-shirts away at my forum this year to any female
willing to take her shirt off and put mine on during the forum ... on stage.

Jim

Old April 23rd 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Roger (K8RI)

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 10:32:07 -0600, Newps wrote:

I have a friend who owned a Citation for many years. The insurance was
$90K per year. He also owned a Caravan on amphibs, that ran $45K per
year for insurance. Another friend has a Caravan on wheels, that only
costs $35K per year.

I can understand the jet (high due to being a jet and the number of
seats) and the Caravan on floats, but on wheels that is almost twice
what they quoted me for a TBM 700 with the Caravan costing less and
being considerably slower.

"Jay Honeck" wrote

Old April 23rd 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Roger (K8RI)" wrote

I can understand the jet (high due to being a jet and the number of
seats) and the Caravan on floats, but on wheels that is almost twice
what they quoted me for a TBM 700 with the Caravan costing less and
being considerably slower.

Can your justify a jet turbine costing more than a turbo prop? Are not jet
turbine aircraft much more safe, mile per mile?
--
Jim in NC

Old April 24th 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Newps

Roger (K8RI) wrote:
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 10:32:07 -0600, Newps wrote:

I have a friend who owned a Citation for many years. The insurance was
$90K per year. He also owned a Caravan on amphibs, that ran $45K per
year for insurance. Another friend has a Caravan on wheels, that only
costs $35K per year.

I can understand the jet (high due to being a jet and the number of
seats) and the Caravan on floats, but on wheels that is almost twice
what they quoted me for a TBM 700 with the Caravan costing less and
being considerably slower.

The Caravan on wheels price may reflect that it is the company plane.
The company makes small diameter tubing for the auto industry in
Michigan and was a cost effective way of owning a Caravan. I should ask
him what he pays for the Turbine 210, that's a personal bird I believe.

Old April 24th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
muff528

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...

I understand costs are high, but SNF needs to take the "long view" of
this thing. If, as some have stated, SNF attendance has been
dropping, the organizers need to understand two simple things about
airshow crowds:

1. They want warbirds.
2. They won't come back if there aren't warbirds present.

Yes, as a spectator I tend to agree with that.
Also, in past years SNF was scheduled, by design
or by chance, to coincide with the MacDill Airfest.
SNF was treated to some high profile fly-bys by
a/c associated with the Airfest. I really was surprised
to see visits from some of these "exotics" at SNF this
year since the two events were seperated by a couple
of weeks. I think this really says something about how
the military values the SNF. Additionally, I used to
see some of the same vintage warbirds at both events.

I also understand that it is easy for me to complain
and whine about the low attendance numbers for
vintage warbirds, many of which are privately owned
and operated, when I'm not the one paying for
their fuel and maintenance.

TP

GNS 430 problem redux Kevin Clarke Owning 3 October 20th 06 02:33 PM
Oshkosh '06 Redux Jay Honeck Piloting 70 August 10th 06 10:56 PM
CSA Redux? sid Naval Aviation 19 May 11th 04 10:43 PM
Sun N Fun Redux Jay Honeck Piloting 26 April 24th 04 01:44 PM
CSA Redux? sid Military Aviation 9 April 18th 04 08:14 AM