A phantastic flight in the Morning Glory.

Old October 4th 11, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

Default A phantastic flight in the Morning Glory.

Gentlemen,

have you seen this flight yet?

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...l?dsId=2134907

Hat's off to Geoff Pratt!

Andreas
Old October 4th 11, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Oct 3, 9:09*pm, Andreas Maurer wrote:
Gentlemen,

have you seen this flight yet?

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0....html?dsId=213....

Hat's off to Geoff Pratt!

Andreas

Everyone must be too dumbstruck to reply....

I think that's one of the most outstanding soaring achievements, ever.

Pictures! We need pictures!

-T8

Old October 4th 11, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 08:17:24 -0700 (PDT), T8
wrote:

On Oct 3, 9:09*pm, Andreas Maurer wrote:
Gentlemen,

have you seen this flight yet?

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0....html?dsId=213...

Hat's off to Geoff Pratt!

Andreas

Everyone must be too dumbstruck to reply....

Yup.

I think that's one of the most outstanding soaring achievements, ever.

100% agree. A flight that was never done before.

Pictures! We need pictures!

Have you seen this flight on Google Earth? Even more impressive than
the graphics on OLC - about half of it was flown over the open sea
(and far away from the coast) - fascinating!

Andreas
Old October 4th 11, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Have you seen this flight on Google Earth? Even more impressive than
the graphics on OLC - about half of it was flown over the open sea
(and far away from the coast) - fascinating!

OK now I get it. I hadn't looked at the google maps view, just the
standard OLC view. I was thinking yea a good flight, especially good
distance for a PIK, but dang, about 100 km out to sea! Now I want to
know more!
Old October 4th 11, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Boggs

Video! We want video!

Boggs
Old October 4th 11, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Oct 4, 10:10*am, GARY BOGGS wrote:
Video! *We want video!

Boggs

There's a documentary about the Morning Glory on
www.morninggloryaustralia.com
A good background, including some of the earliest soaring of the Glory
in G109s (Russell White, Geoff Sim) and hang gliders (Al "Dr. Death"
Giles and Conrad Lotan).
You'll notice how much waiting around is involved.
Geoff Pratt has had very good luck, catching many Glories. His flight
on the 24th was I believe the longest ever XC from Burketown, on or
off the OLC.
Jim
Old October 4th 11, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruno[_2_]

Take a look at this flight on a map! After suddenly realizing that
much of the flight was so far out at sea I just stood up from my work
desk and started clapping in awe. Got some strange looks from fellow
workers. Bravo! Must have been amazing!

Bruno - B4
Old October 5th 11, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Oct 5, 5:26*am, Tony wrote:
Have you seen this flight on Google Earth? Even more impressive than
the graphics on OLC - about half of it was flown over the open sea
(and far away from the coast) - fascinating!

OK now I get it. I hadn't looked at the google maps view, just the
standard OLC view. *I was thinking yea a good flight, especially good
distance for a PIK, but dang, about 100 km out to sea!

He must have big brass ones to go 100 km out to sea at only 5000 -
7000 ft.
Old October 5th 11, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bernie[_4_]

He must have big brass ones to go 100 km out to sea at only 5000 -
7000 ft.

PIK 20E has a motor.......... but still!

Old October 5th 11, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Oct 4, 10:42*pm, Bernie wrote:
He must have big brass ones to go 100 km out to sea at only 5000 -
7000 ft.

PIK 20E has a motor.......... *but still!

Wonder if his seat cushion doubles as a flotation device...